Microsoft retreats in smartphone battle, 1,850 jobs to go

Tigerwoods

Previously I had been using Windows Mobile OS smartphones. Those like myself who is familiar with Windows will find it "user friendly" and it works well with paid 3rd party Windows OS software like GPS. The main issues are the hang problem and sometimes unresponsive response. We have to do a "reboot" to get it working again very much the Windows based desktop/lap we have to use.

If you look at Windows and Apple, Windows is focused more on their software and no hardware, they will somewhat "joint venture" with smartphone companies. And somehow Windows got this issue of compatibility with some hardware whether it's phone or computers. This issue is hardly resolved and they leave it at that. How "fantastic".

Apple on the other hand focus on both software & hardware right from the start. Although they are also not perfect but they produce a better overall package which is the iphone and the support is far better dan "leaving issues as they were". They continue to improve on their product while Windows is handicapped to improving their software only but still struggling to make it compatible with the phone makers even after working so long and with so many phone makers.

Sad to say Windows based phones will continue to fall behind further with the intro of Android and Google.

↡ Advertisement

What are your opinions ?

1. Do you think finally Windows Phone 7 will be able to increase market share ?

2. Will you switch from iPhone, Andriod phone to Phone 7 ?

3. What will be the pulling factors ?

It's still new and many people are stuck with either Iphone or Andriod OS... Many bad reviews on the Windows 6.5 so it'll be a wait and see...

I been using smartphone when it was still a novalty for most people. So you can consider me as an early adopter.

Well....

Put it this way...even if I get a FREE Win Phone 7, i may not use it too. Iphone is a lifestyle for me...Win Phone 7 is not, at least not for me.

FYI, WP7 is moving along iPhone's path. In other words,

1) They will have their own appstore

2) Developer cannot anyhow write app and publish it as they like. They must submit to MS and get approval, just like Apple.

I doubt, even if it is jailbroken, Win60 6.5 app would work as the internal file structure may be totally different...

It's still new and many people are stuck with either Iphone or Andriod OS... Many bad reviews on the Windows 6.5 so it'll be a wait and see...

This reminds me of a car that many love to own the Badge but not the car - ALFA ROMEO.

Previously I had been using Windows Mobile OS smartphones. Those like myself who is familiar with Windows will find it "user friendly" and it works well with paid 3rd party Windows OS software like GPS. The main issues are the hang problem and sometimes unresponsive response. We have to do a "reboot" to get it working again very much the Windows based desktop/lap we have to use.

If you look at Windows and Apple, Windows is focused more on their software and no hardware, they will somewhat "joint venture" with smartphone companies. And somehow Windows got this issue of compatibility with some hardware whether it's phone or computers. This issue is hardly resolved and they leave it at that. How "fantastic".

Apple on the other hand focus on both software & hardware right from the start. Although they are also not perfect but they produce a better overall package which is the iphone and the support is far better dan "leaving issues as they were". They continue to improve on their product while Windows is handicapped to improving their software only but still struggling to make it compatible with the phone makers even after working so long and with so many phone makers.

Sad to say Windows based phones will continue to fall behind further with the intro of Android and Google.

Actually what you've mentioned about windows OS is the android way of doing things in the mobile OS world now.

To install windows phone 7 on a phone, the manufacturer will have to meet certain requirements that MS has. And that includes even the number of buttons. To ensure the experience remains the same, manufacturers cannot even apply any overlays (e.g. HTC sense) on-top of the UI.

Windows Phone 7 is being run very differently from the WinMo of old. I would hardly say it would be "leaving issues as they were"... more of an ignore issues and focus on the new product.

It seems most brudders here will only buy them if :

a. They wanna play XBox Live on their phone

b. errrr.... anymore reasons ?

I didn't respond simply because none of us have used it. It would be quite dumb to say if I would or wouldn't when I haven't even tried it wouldn't it??? [laugh]

Wait and see lah. Only beta software has been available. Even the comparison video's explicitly say not to judge it yet, but that it seems promising even in beta form.

Neutral Newbie

garmin mobile xt & papago 7, mapking 2007 and mapking r12 all install in my htc diamond 2...

and best is all free!!!! just need sometime to find from the internet....

and is working super good for garmin... no hang or lag... only mapking & papago... some time lag a bit..

think windows 7 will be the same... anyway just need to test it out...

You wait long long...

Garmin already ended support for mobileXT for Windows lor.

I'm already switching to Garmin/Asus A10 phone... yes, it may be a crappy asus but at least it runs on android. It begs to be rooted. [laugh]

I didn't respond simply because none of us have used it. It would be quite dumb to say if I would or wouldn't when I haven't even tried it wouldn't it??? [laugh]

Wait and see lah. Only beta software has been available. Even the comparison video's explicitly say not to judge it yet, but that it seems promising even in beta form.

same reason. dont know whether to say will buy or will not buy since that the product is not even out yet.

Watching the video streaming of Microsoft's Windows Phone 7 launching event and sat through the demo by Joe Belfiore, i almost doze off. Because the features and process of using the phone is kind of a rip off iOS. Anyway, here's my thought on Windows Phone 7 OS

1. The phone - nothing special

2. The tiles, ergonomics, organization of home screen - refreshingly nice.

3. Font size - a little too big.

4. Social Networking integration - better than iOS and Android

5. Email - outlook client is fine ... but emails are not threaded. Reminds me of Outlook on my desktop ... its a mess. Android and iOS' threaded mail management is needed here. But if implemented well, they could have possibly as solid an email client/app as Blackberry.

6. Calendar and Contacts - integrates well with email client Outlook .... looks good.

7. Apps - their biggest killer app is going to be Mobile Office ... which is a mobile version of MS Office.... in my opinion, very very good. Apple doesnt even have iWorks on iOS natively. Neither does Google have their work suite on Android natively.RIM's blackberry office suite is plain old.

8. Gaming - this is where WP7 will excel, and even exceed iOS, Android, MeeGo, BBOS and Symbian^3. From the demo, the Xbox Live integration is very very well done. And gaming titles will be available at launch with more coming fast and furious. Microsoft has a good base in gaming, so they have a huge advantage over iOS, Android, BBOS and Symbian^3. This is an area where they need to emphasize and sell on.

9. Market Place - MS speak for App Store ... will be vibrant in a few months. Sure they dont have 250,000 apps immediately, but they will catch up slowly.

10. Find my phone via Windows Live for free - similar to MobileMe's find my phone and remote wipe .... but free. This could be the reason i would go for WP7 phones.

11. Browser - lacking flash, silverlight and HTML5 support.... what were they thinking? And no YouTube app natively.... how are we going to view YouTube?

Possible downside

- they need a very fast processor and GPU to run the phone.... and possibly have serious issue with battery life as with Android phones with 4 inch screen.

- with many hardware makers adopting the OS, it might dilute the Windows brand. Most common users dont look at OS when buying a phone, but the brand of the phone itself. Also, if a handset maker puts in a slow processor, the user experience will be bad and most users will remember the poor experience they had with WP7.

At the moment, its still too early to tell how well receive WP7 products will be. 1 year later, we'll come back and compare iOS, Android and WP7 ... by then it'll be clearer which OS is the preferred one.

For me, the best OS should have an easy to use UI like iOS, secure as BBOS, open as Android, and probably integrated as WP7 (in office apps and gaming)

and the best handset should have a screen as beautiful and as sensitive as iPhone4, as light as Samsung Galaxy S, built quality as good as HTC HD2, battery life as long as iPad, reception as good as blackberry bold, and design as sexy as Motorola Razer in its heyday.

Edited by Miles

That is why Apple wins hands down with their 1st iPhone.

No one have tried it but everyone queue up days before to buy 1.

MS has not learnt anything from Apple's success...

For me, the best OS should have an easy to use UI like iOS, secure as BBOS, open as Android, and probably integrated as WP7 (in office apps and gaming)

and the best handset should have a screen as beautiful and as sensitive as iPhone4, as light as Samsung Galaxy S, built quality as good as HTC HD2, battery life as long as iPad, reception as good as blackberry bold, and design as sexy as Motorola Razer in its heyday.

can do, later Radx go buy these companies then combine all the above you want and come out with the ultimate super duper ultra fantastic out-of-the-planet handpone [laugh] [laugh]

Watching the video streaming of Microsoft's Windows Phone 7 launching event and sat through the demo by Joe Belfiore, i almost doze off. Because the features and process of using the phone is kind of a rip off iOS. Anyway, here's my thought on Windows Phone 7 OS

5. Email - outlook client is fine ... but emails are not threaded. Reminds me of Outlook on my desktop ... its a mess. Android and iOS' threaded mail management is needed here. But if implemented well, they could have possibly as solid an email client/app as Blackberry.

6. Calendar and Contacts - integrates well with email client Outlook .... looks good.

7. Apps - their biggest killer app is going to be Mobile Office ... which is a mobile version of MS Office.... in my opinion, very very good. Apple doesnt even have iWorks on iOS natively. Neither does Google have their work suite on Android natively.RIM's blackberry office suite is plain old.

8. Gaming - this is where WP7 will excel, and even exceed iOS, Android, MeeGo, BBOS and Symbian^3. From the demo, the Xbox Live integration is very very well done. And gaming titles will be available at launch with more coming fast and furious. Microsoft has a good base in gaming, so they have a huge advantage over iOS, Android, BBOS and Symbian^3. This is an area where they need to emphasize and sell on.

9. Market Place - MS speak for App Store ... will be vibrant in a few months. Sure they dont have 250,000 apps immediately, but they will catch up slowly.

10. Find my phone via Windows Live for free - similar to MobileMe's find my phone and remote wipe .... but free. This could be the reason i would go for WP7 phones.

11. Browser - lacking flash, silverlight and HTML5 support.... what were they thinking? And no YouTube app natively.... how are we going to view YouTube?

Possible downside

- they need a very fast processor and GPU to run the phone.... and possibly have serious issue with battery life as with Android phones with 4 inch screen.

- with many hardware makers adopting the OS, it might dilute the Windows brand. Most common users dont look at OS when buying a phone, but the brand of the phone itself. Also, if a handset maker puts in a slow processor, the user experience will be bad and most users will remember the poor experience they had with WP7.

At the moment, its still too early to tell how well receive WP7 products will be. 1 year later, we'll come back and compare iOS, Android and WP7 ... by then it'll be clearer which OS is the preferred one.

Can you send me the Link in which you watch the video ??

That is why Apple wins hands down with their 1st iPhone.

No one have tried it but everyone queue up days before to buy 1.

MS has not learnt anything from Apple's success...

a bit different lah..

Apple create a hype before the things is release.

there is a bunch of apple fans that think everything apple push out is Diamond.

Possible downside

I was looking at the UI and thinking why the Header words don't appear fully in the screen... now I understand that the Screen is the Window ...

Your requirements is like you wanna Car that is :

a. as cheap as a MIC,

b. Quality built like the Germans,

c. as fast as Bugatti Veyron,

d. safer than a Volvo,

e. drinks like a Motorbike,

f. plush and comfortable like a Rolls,

g. with a $1 COE. [laugh]

post-58204-1287045260_thumb.jpg