Microsoft retreats in smartphone battle, 1,850 jobs to go

Tigerwoods

i think it mean this phone cannot be use as a mass storage.. example, i can plug my desire thru usb to computer, set it as "mass storage" mode and tata... i can copy files onto my phone with drag and drop... then i can plug it onto another computer and transfer those file... or i could copy cartoon avi onto my phone in the same manner......

so, winphone7 doesnt allow that if that's what it meant.......... [shakehead]

Think the fruit phone also cannot right?? Must use the simi LJ Ai-Thiong (I-Tunes) to sync here sync there.... the probelm we may have is the knn phone poke into computer USB but the CB computer cannot recognise the Fruit phone, then we are screwed...... at least for others, although may have same peoblem, but we can always remove the SD card.... more work but at least less problem.... [:p]

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

Think the fruit phone also cannot right?? Must use the simi LJ Ai-Thiong (I-Tunes) to sync here sync there.... the probelm we may have is the knn phone poke into computer USB but the CB computer cannot recognise the Fruit phone, then we are screwed...... at least for others, although may have same peoblem, but we can always remove the SD card.... more work but at least less problem.... [:p]

for the new WP7...voila..the moment your card is formatted to be used with the phone, your computer cannot read it with card reader liao.. [mad] [mad]

check this out..

http://www.gsmarena.com/windows_phone_7-review-521.php

Key features:

Premium mobile OS (high minimum hardware requirements)

Clean, uncluttered interface with distinctive design language

Easy and thumbable user interface

Smooth operation with cool animations and transition effects

A fresh start with no legacy support needed

Backed up and developed by one of the largest software companies in the world

Excellent MS Office mobile implementation

Top-notch social integration

Excellent cloud services integration (SkyDrive, Windows Live, Xbox Live)

Wireless syncing of multimedia content

Internal memory expandable via microSD card slot (where available)

Main disadvantages:

No system-wide file manager

No videocalling

Limited third-party apps availability

No Bluetooth file transfers

No USB mass storage mode

No multitasking

No copy/paste

Too dependent on Zune software for computer file management and syncing

No music player equalisers

No Flash or Silverlight support in the web browser

No sign of free Bing maps Navigation so far

No DivX/XviD video support

No internet tethering support

New ringtones available only through the Marketplace

Swapping memory card requires hard reset; cards not readable by computer

All the features which is i need (and is available in winmo6.5) is not available in WP7?

sianz..looks like i either stick with my winmo 6.5 or move to android..

dont be too sad. who know, it might have 32 GB?? then you dont need another card liao.

dont be too sad. who know, it might have 32 GB?? then you dont need another card liao.

The problem is not how big the capacity the card is... the problem is if the phone upzz lorry or something, maybe need to go hospital, theres goes all the data.... whereas if it is a SD card... phone upz lorry, take out SD card, put in another phone and we are in biz.... data still there....

Turbocharged

The problem is not how big the capacity the card is... the problem is if the phone upzz lorry or something, maybe need to go hospital, theres goes all the data.... whereas if it is a SD card... phone upz lorry, take out SD card, put in another phone and we are in biz.... data still there....

ya..i have 8GB built in + 4GB card in my Omnia2..and i didn't even use 50% of them..

i believe you can back it up on the pc and on to a thumb drive just in case.

anyway, could the hard re-set be because the card is hidden under the battery.

i believe you can back it up on the pc and on to a thumb drive just in case.

anyway, could the hard re-set be because the card is hidden under the battery.

Normally we should do backup for our stuff lar....but sometime you know... forget or what, then suay suay phone upz lorry, down longkang.... that's why never like any stuff built in... can remove better.... like battery also.... spoil change new one... built in one..... battery spoil..... NBzzz, the phone got to follow the battery to hospital......

I think like apple, it uses the dont know what zune software to sync with pc.. Seriously, if they want to do the apple way and think they they could be as success as apple, they could be very wrong.. Want a piece of the apple pie?, wait long long..

Normally we should do backup for our stuff lar....but sometime you know... forget or what, then suay suay phone upz lorry, down longkang.... that's why never like any stuff built in... can remove better.... like battery also.... spoil change new one... built in one..... battery spoil..... NBzzz, the phone got to follow the battery to hospital......

Agree, it doesn't give me the sense of security. Even when I was using omnia 2 with 8g, I always have a duplicate copy of stuff on my 8g card ... Perhaps to used to running raid mode... [laugh]

I think like apple, it uses the dont know what zune software to sync with pc.. Seriously, if they want to do the apple way and think they they could be as success as apple, they could be very wrong.. Want a piece of the apple pie?, wait long long..

let me correct you.

In the past, Win Mob had always used another software for sync the phone to PC. Its infact Apple that steal the ideal and use it for Apple.

(edited)

Personally, I think its a bad move. PC market is shrinking rapidly for the past few yrs and Smartphone/ table is taking over PC in many areas. Microsoft made a mistake many years ago stop developing Window Mobile, giving opportunity to IOS and Android to grow and now, they are repeating the same mistake.... [shakehead] [shakehead] [shakehead]

Microsoft Corp announced more big cuts to its smartphone business on Wednesday, just two years after it bought handset maker Nokia in an ill-fated attempt to take on market leaders Apple and Samsung. http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/technology/microsoft-retreats-in-sma/2815888.html    

Edited by Tigershark1976
  • Praise 14

Turbocharged

Yalor... just fight for 2 years only, give up so easily....... I was hoping to own a window phone in a couple of years time when they matured...

• Praise 2

just buy a cheap 640/640XL/650 from Mustafa to try lah.

Windows Phone OS will always be in Beta mode.  [laugh] I am a user since Windows PC Phone and it's always Beta.  :XD: Those who use knows what I mean and you need to try to know. [:p]

The best WP OS so far is WP7 with Zune. No lag, no resuming, no loading screen until MS decides to fark it up.

If you buy 640/640XL, immediately get it upgraded to W10M. The native calculator app is awesome!!! It has 17 options of calculators and unit converters built-in. You will need to pay an arm and leg if you're in iOS. But, as with many good MS apps, MS will fark it up again I suspect, by splitting it into various apps (just to increase app counts). Hahahaha...

Yalor... just fight for 2 years only, give up so easily....... I was hoping to own a window phone in a couple of years time when they matured...

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

Personally, I think its a bad move. PC market is shrinking rapidly for the past few yrs and Smartphone/ table is taking over PC in many areas. Microsoft made a mistake many years ago stop developing Window Mobile, giving opportunity to IOS and Android to grow and now, they are repeating the same mistake.... [shakehead] [shakehead] [shakehead]

Microsoft Corp announced more big cuts to its smartphone business on Wednesday, just two years after it bought handset maker Nokia in an ill-fated attempt to take on market leaders Apple and Samsung. http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/technology/microsoft-retreats-in-sma/2815888.html    

It's tough when they're bleeding money and market share... last quarter, both Blackberry and WP lost market share whereas Android and iOS grew... albeit slower than usual.

I think WP share is less than 2% and BB share is less than 1% now. With such a low installed base, it's difficult to attract developers to their platforms.

And that's what they need... without useful apps, all of these devices are just a slab of glass.

BB has thrown in the towel and has gone with Android.

MS wants to play a longer game... maybe it'll help them in the end. I do like what they are doing with features such as Continuum.

Hopefully, they can dangle the carrot of their huge PC installed base and get developers to update their programs/apps to W10. 

• Praise 2

I bought a Nokia W8 smart phone [shakehead] but dislike it, compare with the kimchi brands it's just very user unfriendly  [thumbsdown]

• Praise 1

Sad news, there will be many working in this sector have to "Ownself Eat Ownself"  吃 自 己 because of recent economy slow down   :dizzy:

• Praise 1

(edited)

WP market share is now at 0.7%

Most users have "defected".

There were too many "two steps forward, four steps back" things done to WP.

Most users including me are pissed off.

It's a pity such an elegant OS is now dead.

I actually almost purchased an iPhone SE until I upgraded my Lumia 1520 and 535 to W10M and was wowed by some of their apps, one of them is Calculator which I mentioned in my earlier post. It is a pity the WP is now dead.

It is not a bed of roses for W10M though. Although it's pretty smooth now, there are still too many bugs. They have nice live tiles for MSN News with interesting news headlines (to entice you). But, when you click open the app, you can't read these headline news. It's that frustrating!!!

Not to mention, a hard reset is required when OS is upgraded. Otherwise, you will have a hard time. Either way, it is tough as hard reseting the phone takes time and you need to reconfigure everything again.

While I delayed my SE purchase, it looks inevitable that I need to switch ultimately as WP or WM is basically dead!

It's tough when they're bleeding money and market share... last quarter, both Blackberry and WP lost market share whereas Android and iOS grew... albeit slower than usual.

I think WP share is less than 2% and BB share is less than 1% now. With such a low installed base, it's difficult to attract developers to their platforms.

And that's what they need... without useful apps, all of these devices are just a slab of glass.

BB has thrown in the towel and has gone with Android.

MS wants to play a longer game... maybe it'll help them in the end. I do like what they are doing with features such as Continuum.

Hopefully, they can dangle the carrot of their huge PC installed base and get developers to update their programs/apps to W10. 

Edited by Kangadrool

Turbocharged

WP market share is now at 0.7%

Most users have "defected".

There were too many "two steps forward, four steps back" things done to WP.

Most users including me are pissed off.

It's a pity such an elegant OS is now dead.

I actually almost purchased an iPhone SE until I upgraded my Lumia 1520 and 535 to W10M and was wowed by some of their apps, one of them is Calculator** which I mentioned in my earlier post. It is a pity the WP is now dead.

It is not a bed of roses for W10M though. Although it's pretty smooth now, there are still too many bugs. They have nice live tiles for MSN News with interesting news headlines (to entice you). But, when you click open the app, you can't read these headline news. It's that frustrating!!!

Not to mention, a hard reset is required when OS is upgraded. Otherwise, you will have a hard time. Either way, it is tough as hard reseting the phone takes time and you need to reconfigure everything again.

While I delayed my SE purchase, it looks inevitable that I need to switch ultimately as WP or WM is basically dead!

Yes... it's a chicken and egg story. Their users need more apps but developers need more users before developing apps for a 3rd platform. It's a vicious cycle.

MS realised the futility* when a few years back, they were paying developers to make apps for the WP platform... and still couldn't attract enough developers.

So the culprit must be the OS itself... like you say... the user experience was wanting.

And no amount of marketing money/muscle/RDF can be a substitute for a positive user experience.

* I think, MS feels having the developers from it's hundreds of million PC market build for W10 and have them add extra magic to make those apps work with W10M is the way to go...

Similar sad story with Intel when they were paying people to use their atom chips on smartphones/tablets... last quarter was a huge write-off, cancelation of future atom chips and with about 15k people who lost their jobs.

** haven't used any W10 devices so no experience with the built-in Calculator. I paid about $10 for PCalc for OSX years back and have their free lite version installed on iOS. Despite paying for it, I use the built-in spotlight search - both in iOS and OSX - for unit conversion instead of PCalc. Found it faster and easier than using a calculator.

post-46412-0-07926600-1464316007_thumb.jpg

↡ Advertisement