Turn steering wheel, let go of wheel, car keeps turning

Keen

Turn steering wheel, let go of wheel, car keeps turning - HELP
I went for wheel alignment, all is good. 2 reputable workshop can't find any solutions.

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

u mean the steering wheel doesn't self-center after u release the steering wheel?

or steering wheel is straight but car turns? slight pull or very severe?

What has this got to do with wheel alignment? It's either the steering rack got problem or the front suspension struts got problem.

Turn steering wheel, let go of wheel, car keeps turning - HELP

I went for wheel alignment, all is good. 2 reputable workshop can't find any solutions.

(edited)

What has this got to do with wheel alignment? It's either the steering rack got problem or the front suspension struts got problem.

Both workshop are not confident that after steering rack recondition/replace will definitely solve the problem. :(

At high speed, the steering wheel seem loose though and it's scary

Edited by Keen

Can describe the problem more specifically? Like that how to troubleshoot?

You mean the steering wheel don't auto self centre?

Turbocharged

Can describe the problem more specifically? Like that how to troubleshoot?

You mean the steering wheel don't auto self centre?

I think I know why the workshops cannot solve the problem. Cos TS can't even describe the problem properly.

(edited)

I think he went to the wrong ppl to fix his steering issue. This common issue of cannot self center is either caused by the steering rack or the front suspension strut bearings. He has to go to a car mechanic. Going to a wheel alignment tire shop to check wheel alignment has already checked out ok. But solving the steering issue the tire shop ppl aren't confident is because they are not the right ppl to go to.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 1

I think I know why the workshops cannot solve the problem. Cos TS can't even describe the problem properly.

I think so too.

If car can't go straight, there are many reasons. Alignment is just one of them. When steering wheel is fitted back without aligning properly after dismantling, the same can happen too. During alignment, steering wheel not straighten, and do alignment, the alignment also can be not accurate.

If steering cannot return, maybe power assisted steering gone also possible. Steering rack jam or gear broken also possible. Everything also can.

TS - If steering can't turn, go tyre shop no use. You should go to mechanic.

But I think, if you go, you sure kena carrot until.... cause you don't know what's wrong. They can just anyhow ketok you.

ok, maybe I did not explained it clearly. To be more precise, the steering wheel seem to slip when i turn 45 degres. it will slip and make a full lock unless I hold on to the steering wheel tightly.

Other then that, when on highway speed, a slight bump will cause the car to slightly lose traction.

At first I thought its alignment issue, which is why I went to alignment shop. afterwhich I went to 2 different workshop but none could pinpoint any problem.

Am at a lost now :(

ok, maybe I did not explained it clearly. To be more precise, the steering wheel seem to slip when i turn 45 degres. it will slip and make a full lock unless I hold on to the steering wheel tightly.

Other then that, when on highway speed, a slight bump will cause the car to slightly lose traction.

At first I thought its alignment issue, which is why I went to alignment shop. afterwhich I went to 2 different workshop but none could pinpoint any problem.

Am at a lost now :(

Check your steering rack. Got something like a gear in it. I think the gearing is gone. I guess it will only slip to one side?

Hi Guys,

I have a similar issue with my Corolla Altis, 2010 Model. Steering wheel alignment done but during driving when car is approaching uneven surface, for e.g a small bump on the road, car will drift to the left - Steering wheel turn left 15 degrees sharply(when front left wheel goes over the bump). Funny thing is when there is a right bump, the drifting is not observable. I went to 2 different car workshops and they cant diagnose it, except one workshop found one of my tire slightly worn out - just hit the safety line which I asked them to do tire rotation. Any recommended workshops before I go to Borneo Motors to resolve this issue?

Best Regards,

Mail

Hi Guys,

I have a similar issue with my Corolla Altis, 2010 Model. Steering wheel alignment done but during driving when car is approaching uneven surface, for e.g a small bump on the road, car will drift to the left - Steering wheel turn left 15 degrees sharply(when front left wheel goes over the bump). Funny thing is when there is a right bump, the drifting is not observable. I went to 2 different car workshops and they cant diagnose it, except one workshop found one of my tire slightly worn out - just hit the safety line which I asked them to do tire rotation. Any recommended workshops before I go to Borneo Motors to resolve this issue?

Best Regards,

Mail

"- Steering wheel turn left 15 degrees sharply(when front left wheel goes over the bump)"

This is exactly what I am facing and till date I still have not got the issue solved.

Hi Forum, 

I have a similar issue with my Mazda 5 - 2010 model.. The car had lower control arm issues as it made the noise when you go on a bumpy road. My mechanic showed me after hoisting the car that lower control arm needs to be replaced. He also showed me how my brand new tires were unevenly being worn out. 

After replacing the lower control arms on both sides the car steering got weird. When i drive and it hits any bumps the steeering goes whack.. it will be very unstable seems like it wants to turn where ever it feels like. If i make a left turn, the steering doesnt come back if i leave the steering and locks it self to sorta making left turn forever. 

One opinion is to change the struts .. not sure if that would work.. any help is appreciated.

alignment issue but please do in sg . go to jb and if they anyhow do can screw things really bad like spoiling your lower arm and suspension. especially hawk tyre jb. beware of them . and they dun print out result after alignment like all workshops in sg do

Jb is cowboy town.

JB only got backyard workshop.

Jb anyhow fix car.

That's because one never do research and asked to be hammered.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1