Opel Astra 2016

ki_chiu

Hi guys, just a quick query on the Astra 1.0L.. is there any trick/tips to ensure a smooth gear transition at low speeds rather than getting the jerks when left in Automatic mode (i.e. revving it to a certain RPM & speed?)..

Also, has anybody tuned their Astras yet? It seems to me that the 1.0L is capable of going faster than the advertised 12.7 secs in 0-100km.

Drive in manual mode. No need lift throttle. The computer senses yr throttle movement to upshift. Doing otherwise is counterproductive.

Single clutch is hard to be smooth. The system is like tat. No way can be smoother than auto no matter wat u do. Learn to live with it.

↡ Advertisement

Hi guys, just a quick query on the Astra 1.0L.. is there any trick/tips to ensure a smooth gear transition at low speeds rather than getting the jerks when left in Automatic mode (i.e. revving it to a certain RPM & speed?)..

Also, has anybody tuned their Astras yet? It seems to me that the 1.0L is capable of going faster than the advertised 12.7 secs in 0-100km.

if you want a smooth gear transition, cvt would be the better than clutch. the downside of it is probably the "skiokness" like a gear change in manual. some people like the gear change feeling though.
  • Praise 2

Thanks for the replies guys.. test drove the astra a couple of times and sometimes the change in manual mode is quite smooth, and other times it's jerky, hence had to ask if it's the same in auto mode as well..

Has anybody tuned their astra yet? 12.7 seconds does seem rather slow.. 

Thanks for the replies guys.. test drove the astra a couple of times and sometimes the change in manual mode is quite smooth, and other times it's jerky, hence had to ask if it's the same in auto mode as well..

Has anybody tuned their astra yet? 12.7 seconds does seem rather slow.. 

Want to play tuning go for 1.4 at least. Don't bother tuning for the 1.0 variant. 1.0 honestly not meant for running. 

• Praise 1

Want to play tuning go for 1.4 at least. Don't bother tuning for the 1.0 variant. 1.0 honestly not meant for running. 

Oh actually the 1.0T can be tuned to 130hp and about 200Nm of torque. Of course not without voiding the warranty here. But then again Opel's Easytronic 3.0 can only handle up to 190Nm. So right now it is almost tuned to its limits.

In fact the 1.4T transmission (6T35) is already handling the maximum torque right now (240Nm) so want to tune also high risk.

You can minimise the jerkiness by lifting your right very slightly & quickly during gear change at gear 1 & maybe 2 but you can have it as smooth as autotrans. It is after all still a manual trans with auto gear change. Try driving a full manual car & change gear as smoothly as an auto trans. No possible.

If you have synchromesh and you're skilled to rev-match upon each gear change and if your left/right legs can work together in sync'd tandem and if you have driven manuals for >20 years (Note: 4 'AND' operators), then gear changes can be done almost seamlessly.
  • Praise 1

You can minimise the jerkiness by lifting your right very slightly & quickly during gear change at gear 1 & maybe 2 but you can have it as smooth as autotrans. It is after all still a manual trans with auto gear change. Try driving a full manual car & change gear as smoothly as an auto trans. No possible.

You can try lifting the accelerator and up shift simultaneously.

Doing it at 3000rpm is quite seamless almost eliminating the jerk. But must be very precise at shifting it simultaneously.

• Praise 2

You can try lifting the accelerator and up shift simultaneously.

Doing it at 3000rpm is quite seamless almost eliminating the jerk. But must be very precise at shifting it simultaneously.

Maybe I am just lazy. I drove a couple of Opel with easytronic for over 14yrs but still cannot eliminate the jerkiness...not that I am bothered by it tho. The jerkiness (more like feeling the gear change) is minimal and not any worse than a decent manual gear change.

Maybe I am just lazy. I drove a couple of Opel with easytronic for over 14yrs but still cannot eliminate the jerkiness...not that I am bothered by it tho. The jerkiness (more like feeling the gear change) is minimal and not any worse than a decent manual gear change.

I was driving a golf gt previously. DSG makes the gear shift almost perfect.

Now with astra, after minus off the 100bhp, I'll just have to get used to it.

Wife happy can Liao. I just flow along.

you are not alone.

I was driving a Subaru legacy GT, 261 horses tuned to near 300 horses as claimed by tuner.

so actually I minus off near to 200 horses.

luckily the astra is nippy enough especially using manual mode.

I will be honest, my pocket not deep enough and among the budget cars, this astra 1 litre suits me well.

only regrets is not going for the astra ST for the extra boot space.

Dual clutch definitely make the diff and gear change is smooth. :)

My previous car also had a fairly powerful engine, 215bhp and  440Nm/rpm. But for city driving, I hardly make full use of the extra power.  

Edited by Silver_blade
  • Praise 1

if you want a smooth gear transition, cvt would be the better than clutch. the downside of it is probably the "skiokness" like a gear change in manual. some people like the gear change feeling though.

Gear change feeling is shiok Edited by peng61
  • Praise 2

Oh actually the 1.0T can be tuned to 130hp and about 200Nm of torque. Of course not without voiding the warranty here. But then again Opel's Easytronic 3.0 can only handle up to 190Nm. So right now it is almost tuned to its limits.

In fact the 1.4T transmission (6T35) is already handling the maximum torque right now (240Nm) so want to tune also high risk.

No matter what, Its still a 3-cylinder engine. Which equates to constant revving to match that of a 4-cylinder(in this scenario 1.4 version). Don't mistaken me of tryna say the car its not good, I'm just saying if you want to play the "tuning" game, then he better be looking at the 1.4 variant instead as the 1.0 variant is there to serve its purpose of taking people from point A to B. Period. 

With regards to your tuning of the 1.4 variant, I have already checked with Monster-Tune & by reading a couple of "Astra k" forums overseas, they have managed tuned it to 184hp & 320Nm. Whereas for Monster-Tune, they will tune around 20bhp & 30Nm from stock. 

• Praise 2

308 has bigger boot but the rear pax space quite tight..plus the current 308 is last yrs model, if u can wait I think the next 308 will be a bit like the new 3008 design whic is very sui..their 3 cylinder engine shd be gd since win engine of the year for a few yrs already, plus quite torquey

About peugeot reliability issues I not sure but in the end I went with astra

Neutral Newbie

No matter what, Its still a 3-cylinder engine. Which equates to constant revving to match that of a 4-cylinder(in this scenario 1.4 version). Don't mistaken me of tryna say the car its not good, I'm just saying if you want to play the "tuning" game, then he better be looking at the 1.4 variant instead as the 1.0 variant is there to serve its purpose of taking people from point A to B. Period. 

With regards to your tuning of the 1.4 variant, I have already checked with Monster-Tune & by reading a couple of "Astra k" forums overseas, they have managed tuned it to 184hp & 320Nm. Whereas for Monster-Tune, they will tune around 20bhp & 30Nm from stock. 

Been eyeing this car for ages and for the possibilities of upping the power, but someone shared that the current stock setup seems to be maxing out the car internals already. 

if the car can be tuned to 184 bhp and 320Nm, it would really be great! 

• Dislike 1

Been eyeing this car for ages and for the possibilities of upping the power, but someone shared that the current stock setup seems to be maxing out the car internals already. 

if the car can be tuned to 184 bhp and 320Nm, it would really be great! 

https://www.br-performance.be/en-be/chiptuning/1-cars/42-opel/2103-astra/7331-k-09-2015/7334-1-4-t-4cyl/?stage=6325

Link is taken from overseas not local and as you can see at stage 1. These are the gains and the company doesn't seemed like an average joe to me. Thus if you'd asked me if I rather believe that "someone" than the companies that I asked and forums that I have read, I'd choose the latter..  [laugh]

Edited by Melvyn_

308 has bigger boot but the rear pax space quite tight..plus the current 308 is last yrs model, if u can wait I think the next 308 will be a bit like the new 3008 design whic is very sui..their 3 cylinder engine shd be gd since win engine of the year for a few yrs already, plus quite torquey

About peugeot reliability issues I not sure but in the end I went with astra ð

Thanks for the info.. doubt they will release new version of 308 so soon.. was comparing between 308 and Astra but was told Astra not good.. 3008 is a beauty!
↡ Advertisement