Opel Astra 2016

ki_chiu

Life is short. Drive what you like. Statistics is statistics. Will statistics make you happy?

Vauxhall/Opel is a favourite in UK for people with high mileage like in sales. That speaks volume about the reliability and durability of the car.

Once you hit 100 km/hr on the NSHW, am sure Astra will give you more smiles than Altis. Not saying Altis is a bad car, but....

Calculation of the basic car cost of the Astra 1.0 shows that the AD margin is about 18k per vehicle (before overheads) due to the hefty CEVS rebate of 15k. (???)

The Altis Elegance at 103k seems to be a better value even though it has a higher upfront cost...

There's also only 53 used Opels on sale on SGCarMart compared to the 1600+ Toyotas. Even Ferraris have more than 60. Could this mean high future repair cost and long lead time due to lack of spare parts or competent technicians?

Dilemma. I really like the Astra and overseas reviews of it are very very good, but I'm finding it difficult to justify. No flaming please, first time buyer so have a lot to consider.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

if u wanna justify a car in SG, then go for the altis or vezel. so many on the roads, easy to service and find parts for sure.

before signing up for astra and even after, i did so many calculations and tired myself out that i decided it was the astra i wanted, not an altis. the rest was easier afterwards.

if u really wanna justify prices parts etc, go for Lancer EX. TBH i would have taken it in a heartbeat if +20bhp and at least 5 speed auto.

astra while not made in germany, is still classified under conti segment. compare with the other conti badges u find more redemption in the pricing i guess

Edited by Johnny86

Calculation of the basic car cost of the Astra 1.0 shows that the AD margin is about 18k per vehicle (before overheads) due to the hefty CEVS rebate of 15k. (???)

The Altis Elegance at 103k seems to be a better value even though it has a higher upfront cost...

There's also only 53 used Opels on sale on SGCarMart compared to the 1600+ Toyotas. Even Ferraris have more than 60. Could this mean high future repair cost and long lead time due to lack of spare parts or competent technicians?

Dilemma. I really like the Astra and overseas reviews of it are very very good, but I'm finding it difficult to justify. No flaming please, first time buyer so have a lot to consider.

Hi.

nywa78 also expressed similar concerns, I had similar concerns too at the start of buying decision process.

Here's my partial resposne to nywa78 on 9 Dec:

"

Looked at the new Kia K3 and comparing the features against Astra, I find Astra is more value for money .... booked the Astra ST 1.0 waiting for delivery in Feb 2017.

You really need to get behind the steering wheel ... the cabin quality and the solid sound of the doors closing  ... beat K3 anytime.

Took me 2 months to research and check feedback .... well, I have committed to try out Opel now and hoping it will grow more popular"

Really agree with Johnny86 if based on purchased price and easy availability of spare parts, look at Japanese cars.

LOL, I even did a spreadsheet comparing Astra, K3 and Slyphy taking into consideration road tax, number of years of free maintenance, scrap value and petrol cost ... in the end, decided on Astra (yes, there's still sense of uncertainty but the quality really is different).

Compared to other continental competitors, the Astra is value for money (as AE is still building the Opel brand perception).

Hope this helps in your decision -- I know it's very tough when your heart is in love with the car but your wallet is hesitant :-) 

True la. Why bother about stats?

I don't want to drive such an uncle car like an Altis.

Nor do i want to drive a car which i can find a few at every turn and as common as a taxi like a Vezel.

No regrets since i got myself an Astra K. Where else can you find a conti car at that price with so much technology built-in? Got the coveted European Car of the Year 2016 some more. The 1.0L turbo is quite possibly the most fuel-efficient petrol car (on paper) at least that i can find in sgcarmart.

Edited by Westguy

could not find the Audi A3 sportback 2017 at such a price and 1.4T, so astra k fits just nicely in :)

and astra's only trim has all options in less the luxury LED matrix / Parking System

so yeah have to start comparing in the conti segment. the A3 need to top up $1-2k for a reverse camera.

The Astra is really not bad, but also check out the Golf, especially the 1.2T, especially if the gearbox doesn't frighten you.

The 1.0T CEVS rebate will leave you with not a lot left at the end, so IMO the 1.4T is a better value proposition, and the more powerful engine will be a lot more fun.

At least you don't have to spend another 10k trying to add go faster bits on a slow car, unlike other makes with 1.2T engines.

+ a much normal traditional slush box which is easier for majority of the population to live with compared to the 1.0L robotized manual GB.

The Astra is really not bad, but also check out the Golf, especially the 1.2T, especially if the gearbox doesn't frighten you.

The 1.0T CEVS rebate will leave you with not a lot left at the end, so IMO the 1.4T is a better value proposition, and the more powerful engine will be a lot more fun.

At least you don't have to spend another 10k trying to add go faster bits on a slow car, unlike other makes with 1.2T engines.

• Praise 3

If suddenly huat next year, no questions asked : 2017 Golf 1.4T R-line

Edited by Johnny86

I'm referring to auto germany maybe just our bad luck but glad that it's over but will definitely not consider this brand safer to stay away....service level is worst off vs old dealer in my opinion!

I'm referring to auto germany maybe just our bad luck but glad that it's over but will definitely not consider this brand safer to stay away....service level is worst off vs old dealer in my opinion!

Bro care to share more? U bought from AG and now already offloaded your Opel ride?

Whoa! Thanks for the warning man

when in doubt always go for the safest. Opel is really not mass market enough like toyotas and as you said rarer than ferrari.

Do your own research and gain your own confidence.

which opel model you had ? what are the issues ? or is it just the service ?

Is that because of you purchased from the previous dealer?

Is that because of you purchased from the previous dealer?

I doubt that it's all about the dealer (only).

It's a fact that the Opel brand had never been high on the reliability stakes.

Don't think Opel is any better than the average conti brand's average-to-low reliabilty ... be it Ford, Renault, Peugeot, Citroen, Alfa Romeo, and the VAG brands.

Frequent workshop visits will be a given.

That's where the AD's repair mechanics and electricians competencies would be critical!

My opinion is if you are not that cash strapped it is best to fork out extra 10k+ for the 3 German Lux (e.g a180, 1 series or A3). These 3 have the presence and setup for after sales support. Plus you get the badge to go with it.

All "other contis" sell miniscule amount of cars, so I doubt they have money to invest in after sales support.

↡ Advertisement