Opel Astra 2016

ki_chiu

I doubt that it's all about the dealer (only).

It's a fact that the Opel brand had never been high on the reliability stakes.

Don't think Opel is any better than the average conti brand's average-to-low reliabilty ... be it Ford, Renault, Peugeot, Citroen, Alfa Romeo, and the VAG brands.

Frequent workshop visits will be a given.

That's where the AD's repair mechanics and electricians competencies would be critical!

Hi, 

Have you owned an Opel?

I've owned 4 Opel's (Astra G 1.4 Manual, Corsa C 1.2 Easytronic, Astra G 1.4 Manual, Vectra C 1.8 Easytronic) & I currently own my 5th Opel, the Astra K 1.0T Easytronic. 

I do not have reliability issues or service issues, regardless of previous dealer Auto Eurokars or current dealer Auto Germany. 

Regards. 

Edited by Newbie70
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

My opinion is if you are not that cash strapped it is best to fork out extra 10k+ for the 3 German Lux (e.g a180, 1 series or A3). These 3 have the presence and setup for after sales support. Plus you get the badge to go with it.

All "other contis" sell miniscule amount of cars, so I doubt they have money to invest in after sales support.

normally, these cars will be 18-22k more expensive with less features, while in euro just 3k-5k more. If they are just 10k difference with similar features, I would choose them.

normally, these cars will be 18-22k more expensive with less features, while in euro just 3k-5k more. If they are just 10k difference with similar features, I would choose them.

If you factored in the OMV/PARF rebate, the the different is maybe 15-19K.  If I am not mistaken you are using the Astra 1.0T (which is a bit lower in specs compared to say Audi A3 priced at $119K) in this comparison.  If you are using the Astra 1.4T then difference is much lower.

Hi,

Have you owned an Opel?

I've owned 4 Opel's (Astra G 1.4 Manual, Corsa C 1.2 Easytronic, Astra G 1.4 Manual, Vectra C 1.8 Easytronic) & I currently own my 5th Opel, the Astra K 1.0T Easytronic.

I do not have reliability issues or service issues, regardless of previous dealer Auto Eurokars or current dealer Auto Germany.

Regards.

Agreed with Newbie and most of the Astra K owner are satify with the car performance and AG service. That include me driving my 1.0T ST for 4 about months.

It's different expectations from different individuals maybe.

If you factored in the OMV/PARF rebate, the the different is maybe 15-19K. If I am not mistaken you are using the Astra 1.0T (which is a bit lower in specs compared to say Audi A3 priced at $119K) in this comparison. If you are using the Astra 1.4T then difference is much lower.

I would say your analysis is reasonable. Just depending on whether you would like to put in that 15-19k as their extra margin just for what they have set up.

I would say your analysis is reasonable. Just depending on whether you would like to put in that 15-19k as their extra margin just for what they have set up.

The Astra 1.0 is about 94k with a scrap value of 2.5k. The A3 1.0 is 119k.. That is very significant 25k difference

Like someone said earlier, if the difference is just 10k then going for the 116d, A180 or A3 would have been a much simpler choice.

Not considering future repair or servicing etc. The Astra at its current price is a really good value

Edited by Drivingbirdie

The Astra 1.0 is about 94k with a scrap value of 2.5k. The A3 1.0 is 119k.. That is very significant 25k difference

Like someone said earlier, if the difference is just 10k then going for the 116d, A180 or A3 would have been a much simpler choice.

Not considering future repair or servicing etc. The Astra at its current price is a really good value

I think A3 is 1.4 but not sure if the price is 119k as the list price is over 134k and even PI is asking for 115K.

Think the a3 scrap is about 8k. If you are talking about 1.0T then the effective price difference is quite significant at about 20k.

But you are looking at the astra 1.4T (which is more inline with specs/performance of A3 1.0T) then it is down to about 10k difference.

New A3 I tot only 1.0T?

Astras all come with collision avoidance, 7" intellilink with carplay/AA, reverse sensors

Also 3yrs servicing although we can debate on later costs which are AD dependant.

1.4T though, apart from being cheaper, comes in at 148bhp over 123 (pre FL) and conventional 6AT.

These are worth considering apart from badge.

Edited by Johnny86

Years ago it is always mercedes then BMW got noticed followed by Audi. I remembered in the early 90s business man and most ppl do not desire Audi which is some what like Opel now. Opel will never be like the 3 marquee but I believe it could do better than VW if it is priced well and when more are put on the road ppl will take notice of its existance.

Based on data from LTA : https://www.lta.gov.sg/content/dam/ltaweb/corp/PublicationsResearch/files/FactsandFigures/M03-Car_Regn_by_make.pdf

For 1st half of 2016, only 30 Opels were registered.

For the 2nd half after new  Astra was launched, registration figures:

Jul   -- 35

Aug -- 21

Sep -- 30

Oct  -- 26

Nov -- 57

Total of 169 in 5 months.

These are cars actually registered, not counting those with confirmed COE but waiting for delivery especially for the ST model (like in my case, Nov COE but delivery in Feb next year).

Let the growing numbers speak for the brand ... and slowly ease concerns of spare parts and after-sales services.

• Praise 3

Based on data from LTA : https://www.lta.gov.sg/content/dam/ltaweb/corp/PublicationsResearch/files/FactsandFigures/M03-Car_Regn_by_make.pdf

For 1st half of 2016, only 30 Opels were registered.

For the 2nd half after new  Astra was launched, registration figures:

Jul   -- 35

Aug -- 21

Sep -- 30

Oct  -- 26

Nov -- 57

Total of 169 in 5 months.

These are cars actually registered, not counting those with confirmed COE but waiting for delivery especially for the ST model (like in my case, Nov COE but delivery in Feb next year).

Let the growing numbers speak for the brand ... and slowly ease concerns of spare parts and after-sales services.

And they have beaten Mini who only registered 168 cars and they are not far from Ford who sold 180 cars and Renault at 195 cars. 

With new models (e.g. Mokka X, Zafira and prehaps Insignia) coming in 2017, I do see a good future for Opel and could easily overtake all these niche conti brand as long as they do not have stupid scandal (e.g. VW diesel) or poor feedback on reliability and service. 

Wir leben Autos...  :grin:

↡ Advertisement