Opel Astra 2016

ki_chiu

The 1.4T is a VW Golf challenger:

- regular auto gearbox

- decent power

- good COE rebate and price

- decent room

The 1.0 isn't in the same class as the Golf or A3, even the 1.0T A3. But its a lot cheaper.

However it's a new company and finding alternate workshops or sources for parts may not be as easy.

↡ Advertisement

The 1.4T is a VW Golf challenger:

- regular auto gearbox

- decent power

- good COE rebate and price

- decent room

The 1.0 isn't in the same class as the Golf or A3, even the 1.0T A3. But its a lot cheaper.

However it's a new company and finding alternate workshops or sources for parts may not be as easy

Alternate workshops have been around for almost 20 years.

Or else, where does one think we go to for service or repair after warranty expired, for the past 2 decades. 

Edited by Newbie70

Alternate workshops have been around for almost 20 years.

Or else, where do you think we go to for service or repair after warranty expired, for the past 2 decades. 

That's good bro, when the dealer changes, I guess one must be resourceful.

In Australia, where the Astra was the number seller when I drove it, it was also very simple to get parts.

And when the time came for me to sell, it was very easy. Sold it by myself within a few days. 

Thoroughly enjoyed driving it.

Calculation of the basic car cost of the Astra 1.0 shows that the AD margin is about 18k per vehicle (before overheads) due to the hefty CEVS rebate of 15k. (???)

The Altis Elegance at 103k seems to be a better value even though it has a higher upfront cost...

There's also only 53 used Opels on sale on SGCarMart compared to the 1600+ Toyotas. Even Ferraris have more than 60. Could this mean high future repair cost and long lead time due to lack of spare parts or competent technicians?

Dilemma. I really like the Astra and overseas reviews of it are very very good, but I'm finding it difficult to justify. No flaming please, first time buyer so have a lot to consider.

family had an opel vectra B from 1996-2001. what a piece of crap it was. quite a few parts broke. parts only came from the agent. no way could you buy parts from elsewhere and get the car fixed. you were at their mercy. of cause now it is different, you can easily ship in the parts. But what about the down time. IMHO, dun waste time with low volume brand just to be different. Bread and butter cars are just that. how different can it be.

we Switch to a Lancer(2001) and then to a toyota wish(Feb 2006) later on. The wish only had the rear shocks, engine mount and aircon evaporator and valve cover seal replaced in all its 10year 160k km. the rest was engine oil, oil filter, tires, brake pads(no rotors). spark plugs were changed by me to iridium tough since 30k km and it lasted till 160k km. i DIYed all the oil changes(engine oil, ATF, brake fluid), brake pads, so the only time it saw a mechanic was for the engine mounts, rear shocks, aircon and valve cover seal. and of course tire shops to change the tires.

last year they bought another wish.(end 2015). a 1988 corolla we had, had also similar wear and tear.

family had an opel vectra B from 1996-2001. what a piece of crap it was. quite a few parts broke. parts only came from the agent. no way could you buy parts from elsewhere and get the car fixed. you were at their mercy. of cause now it is different, you can easily ship in the parts. But what about the down time. IMHO, dun waste time with low volume brand just to be different. Bread and butter cars are just that. how different can it be.

we Switch to a Lancer(2001) and then to a toyota wish(Feb 2006) later on. The wish only had the rear shocks, engine mount and aircon evaporator and valve cover seal replaced in all its 10year 160k km. the rest was engine oil, oil filter, tires, brake pads(no rotors). spark plugs were changed by me to iridium tough since 30k km and it lasted till 160k km. i DIYed all the oil changes(engine oil, ATF, brake fluid), brake pads, so the only time it saw a mechanic was for the engine mounts, rear shocks, aircon and valve cover seal. and of course tire shops to change the tires.

last year they bought another wish.(end 2015). a 1988 corolla we had, had also similar wear and tear.

These jp cars are more reliable because they have less features, especially new high tech features. If just need something to do transportation and don't mind if it looks very taxi, they will be very suitable. To me, the driving feeling of these 100k jp cars are not as good as conti cars, make me feels the car not stable and not accurate in controlling, not sure if others have the same feeling as me.

Everyone value different cars differently. No need to proof to others your decision or influence other ppl's decision.

Just buy the car and enjoy it.

Yes totally agree, buy what you can & be happy with your decision:)

These jp cars are more reliable because they have less features, especially new high tech features. If just need something to do transportation and don't mind if it looks very taxi, they will be very suitable. To me, the driving feeling of these 100k jp cars are not as good as conti cars, make me feels the car not stable and not accurate in controlling, not sure if others have the same feeling as me.

I concur.

Let me share my experience since I've driven an Opel car before. I've driven the 2004 astra-h 1.8 for 10 years till scrap 2 years ago with a mileage of 240K KM. Not much body value when sold to dealer. Average F/C was 9-10KM/L since it was heavy. Now all new models are much lighter. Opel car is pretty stable at high speed and stable. I agreed that the car spare parts are slightly on the high side. The air con compressor is the first to be replace in the 5th year. Follow by the engine mount which I've replaced it twice within the next 5 years. The engine gasket leak and have to replace the seal. That all the common wear and tear problem for a GM car. To me seems like a reliable car even I frequently driven it hard with sport mode. The gear box is solid built for a conventional auto 4 speed in the old model.

Let me share my experience since I've driven an Opel car before. I've driven the 2004 astra-h 1.8 for 10 years till scrap 2 years ago with a mileage of 240K KM. Not much body value when sold to dealer. Average F/C was 9-10KM/L since it was heavy. Now all new models are much lighter. Opel car is pretty stable at high speed and stable. I agreed that the car spare parts are slightly on the high side. The air con compressor is the first to be replace in the 5th year. Follow by the engine mount which I've replaced it twice within the next 5 years. The engine gasket leak and have to replace the seal. That all the common wear and tear problem for a GM car. To me seems like a reliable car even I frequently driven it hard with sport mode. The gear box is solid built for a conventional auto 4 speed in the old model.

The engines should be reliable as GM used to own Volvo and Saab. The Volvo here were still using GM engines before 2014 even after selling to Geely.

this conti vs jap bb car provide readers good info on the cars they are planning to buy. of course we have to do our own filtering because not all cases are the same.

jap cars are now trying mprove on their interior. finishes to match conti. similarly conti cars are also improving on reliability and cost! astra is matching jap in all areas and making it very diffifult to ignore.

• Praise 1

apologies ... OT a bit ...drove pass Opel and saw Mokka X being test drove by some customer  . anyone tested already ... if yes , hows the back seats space ? good for 3 passengers ?

apologies ... OT a bit ...drove pass Opel and saw Mokka X being test drove by some customer  . anyone tested already ... if yes , hows the back seats space ? good for 3 passengers ?

http://www.------.com/car-reviews/10775/opel-mokka-x-1.6-turbo-diesel

"Front and rear passenger room is adequate, but at 1,718mm, the Mokka X is rather narrow. Two large adults in the front seats may find their personal space eaten into. But it does the job well for all my 172cm. Rear legroom is decent, but seating is only ideal for 2 rear passengers, with the middle seat good enough for a child."

I managed to take a look of the MOKKA X when I was at the showroom two weeks ago and I do agree with the review. It looks big outside but the interior is smaller than one can expect for a car in that category. Did not test drive.