Opel Astra 2016

ki_chiu

Although it's abit too early for me to comment , now at 4000km can say that generally the 1.4T is quite powerful for daily commute.

After running in first 3000km it drives like a dream if u know how to control the new 6AT. Cruising on the highway has never been so enjoyable. Have not gone beyond 110 so can't tell performance on the higher range of rpm.

Personally feel there is turbo lag on mid range rpm while low 2k and high 4k rpm are smooth and powerful. The technologies are useful, nice to have but I now turn off auto start stop and Lane assistance.

Sound proofing is very good for me. I like the stock speakers they are punchy enough.

For me it runs best on ron95. 98 tried a few tanks but feel it doesn't rev willingly and FC is worse.

FC is around 12.8km/L light-footed , 40% highway and occasional pedal down for overtaking.

Feel that there is potential for the 1.4T to do even better after 10k km.

going to try it out on the NSHW on a weekday after my 1000km inspection.  [grin]

↡ Advertisement

Haha I think it needs a good run to fully open the system

i come back update after that, stay tune.  ^_^  [:p]  [laugh]

I only scare wait I drive all the way to ipoh without stop.  [:p]

Turbocharged

Hi bros out there, I'm interested in this car also but not sure whether is it good for a family with 2 kids.

I wonder can it fit 2 car seats comfortably in the rear?

Appreciate if u guys can share some insight with me

TIA !

I found the rear seat space felt a little smaller than Golf, but I long time never sat in Golf A7. I quite liked the 1.4T Tourer when I tested it, though. Just found the visibility from inside the cabin a bit uncomfortable. Rear window and wing mirrors very small.

Neutral Newbie

Best is go showroom and take a look yourself. Bring the car seats and check it out on the spot. There are 2 sets of car seats slots behind. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Went down today and view the car. Looks ok at the back and should be able to fit 2 car seat.

Unfortunately didn't get to test drive it as traffic was heavy by the time i reached

i actually bought this due to good isofix design for future family planning. easily reachable. dont know actual size of car seats but it seems 2 is ok

Thanks for ur words bro.

I beliEve should be able to fit 2 too.. went down tdy for viewing

Neutral Newbie

I found the rear seat space felt a little smaller than Golf, but I long time never sat in Golf A7. I quite liked the 1.4T Tourer when I tested it, though. Just found the visibility from inside the cabin a bit uncomfortable. Rear window and wing mirrors very small.

Isn't tourer 1.0T ?

Nv try/view golf b4 but not considering them due to their infamous GB.. haha

Don't wanna tio a lemon car..

Totally agreed on the restricted view. Feel like there are many blind spot around

No matter which car, I put 360° Blindspot mirrors on both sides to reduce blindness on the roads and it's helped me with the Astra. Don't really need much use of rear view mirror. Also during reverse parking the camera is quite useful...

Quite keen on the 1.4T Astra bu a little hesitant after reading about common issues with electronics, TC and worst of all, the engine:

http://www.astrakforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2413

http://www.astrakforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2423

Anybody here experienced these problems? 

Also did anyone opt for the Intellilux system? It's quite an expensive option, not sure if it's worth the $. Full LED lamps are great though, and I wouldnt mind spending if it offers good benefits. 

Did anyone get to choose the rims? Opel dealer said only 1 design is available, although the sg opel website has quite a number to select from.

Quite keen on the 1.4T Astra bu a little hesitant after reading about common issues with electronics, TC and worst of all, the engine:

Also did anyone opt for the Intellilux system? It's quite an expensive option, not sure if it's worth the $. Full LED lamps are great though, and I wouldnt mind spending if it offers good benefits.

Did anyone get to choose the rims? Opel dealer said only 1 design is available, although the sg opel website has quite a number to select from.

The only electronics issue i had was my auto start-stop system stopped working. Had it fixed at the service centre easily.

Intellilux are nice to have, but totally unnecessary here in SG at a 5k topup in my opinion. Unless you got money to burn. Heck SG is so bright we don't even need headlights lol. It's only useful for countryside driving where it's dark and you don't wanna blind the oncoming cars.

Yes only one rim design in SG. The website is pretty unaccurate. Not all features you see on the website are available in SG as well. A bit misleading imho.

Checked out the Astra HB 1.4T. Very impressed.

Consulted a few friends and 4 out of 5 told me to stick to a Japanese brand, citing continental cars have a lot of "issues". They quoted what happen to a few European brands but I won't mention them here.

However, the 5th person I consulted is a Senior Technical Officer (his job involves cars) and drove an Opel Vectra 1.8 for 9 years and 11 months. He is is almost 70 years old and told me this:

1) The Opel he drove was a VERY RELIABLE CAR car and never broke down on him- He drove more than 300 000 km for almost 10 years and made frequent trips to Malaysia.

2) There were wear and tear issues but this is normal for all cars, including changing the air con compressor when the car was 5 years plus.

3) The only issue was the transmission gave problem around 6 years plus and had to be towed to the workshop. I think it was the  MTA transmission.

4) All the major "German" brands also have issues- And people are still buying them like hot cakes. He will not touch (own) them.

5) He is now driving a 2nd hand Chevrolet Epica and he says it's a GM engine. That's how confident he is.

6) You can sleep peacefully at night when you park your car in a hotel in Malaysia. No one will steal your car as there is no demand for it.

7) All brands of cars have "lemons". Pray hard that you don't get one.

My verdict (My opinion only):

1) If Auto Germany can give 5 year unlimited mileage warranty, it means that they have confidence in their cars.

2) Cars made for the European market may be different for those imported here. Example, cars have to be "tropicalised" before they are sold here. ECU programming may also be different for cars imported here.

3) The Opel SG website is very inaccurate: Please talk to the S E directly. Now there is 5 year free servicing.

I only hope that their Service Dept is good.

All CEOs/GM/Sales & Service Managers of Authorised Distributors must remember this: SALES ATTRACT CUSTOMERS, SERVICE KEEPS THEM.

Have a good day everyone.

• Praise 3

Hi. My current ride (Mazda2) is due for scrapped in October 2017, and my preference is to get preferably a continental SUV/crossover for my next ride, though I don’t mind a Jap/Korean hatchback/ sedan also. Has test-driven the following cars:

Nissan Note

Nissan Juke

Nissan Qashqai

Honda Jazz

Opel Meriva

Opel Astra 1.0T

Opel Astra 1.4T

Suzuki Vitara

Hyundai Elantra

Peugeot 2008

Citroen C4

Citroen C4 Picasso

Volkswagen Golf

Volkswagen Jetta

Mitsubishi ASX

Seat Leon

Mazda 3

My personal preference narrows down to two (Opel Astra 1.4T and Peugeot 2008) in my shortlist, and I am at a loss over which to purchase.

Astra 1.4T over 2008

Better finishing

4 cylinder over 3 cylinder

Better acceleration

More sturdy (the 2008 has a flimsy passenger door)

More reliable (I think)

2008 over Astra 1.4T

SUV

Cheaper road tax

Panoramic moon roof

Cheaper price (down payment and instalment)

Would like to hear from both Astra and Peugeot bros on your views before I decide on my purchase. (This will be posted on both Astra and Peugeot threads)

Hi. My current ride (Mazda2) is due for scrapped in October 2017, and my preference is to get preferably a continental SUV/crossover for my next ride, though I donât mind a Jap/Korean hatchback/ sedan also. Has test-driven the following cars:

Nissan Note

Nissan Juke

Nissan Qashqai

Honda Jazz

Opel Meriva

Opel Astra 1.0T

Opel Astra 1.4T

Suzuki Vitara

Hyundai Elantra

Peugeot 2008

Citroen C4

Citroen C4 Picasso

Volkswagen Golf

Volkswagen Jetta

Mitsubishi ASX

Seat Leon

Mazda 3

My personal preference narrows down to two (Opel Astra 1.4T and Peugeot 2008) in my shortlist, and I am at a loss over which to purchase.

Astra 1.4T over 2008

Better finishing

4 cylinder over 3 cylinder

Better acceleration

More sturdy (the 2008 has a flimsy passenger door)

More reliable (I think)

2008 over Astra 1.4T

SUV

Cheaper road tax

Panoramic moon roof

Cheaper price (down payment and instalment)

Would like to hear from both Astra and Peugeot bros on your views before I decide on my purchase. (This will be posted on both Astra and Peugeot threads)

What's the price u got for both and what's CEVS for 2008?

As of today, 12 Feb

Astra 1.4T $105,800

Pug 2008 $94,800 CEVS $10,000

If on a budget, 2008 is a compelling buy. even more so if the puretech 1.2T has better FC. im gettting around 12.5km/L for 1.4T. 308 has better FC but not sure about 2008.

yes on paper 1.4T 148bhp 245nm certainly outperforms 2008 but in real life it depends on how much of that you want to use (FC). I find turbo lag in mid range rpms so i either go slow or (rarely) pedal hard from stop go.

6AT GB is also somewhat hit or miss (still running in) but seems like a lot of good comments about EAT6.  btw how do u feel about gear changes of Aisin EAT6 vs GM 6AT? my take is that if the EAT6 is the better performer then it can unleash the most potential on roads.

tech wise astra should be more high tech with lane watch, foward collision avoidance and apple carplay. touchscreen is also very responsive with good resolution.

pug cars come with 3M solar film but Astra only comes with Rikecool. dont know what leather 2008 comes in but astra has quite good locally fitted leather compared to mazda 3

how is rear passenger legroom for 2008? i think the astra is pretty roomy but if ur seated at SUV height maybe less legroom is required.

did u compare the interior cabin quality of 2008 and Astra? whats ur thoughts?

Edited by Johnny86

If on a budget, 2008 is a compelling buy. even more so if the puretech 1.2T has better FC. im gettting around 12.5km/L for 1.4T. 308 has better FC but not sure about 2008.

yes on paper 1.4T 148bhp 245nm certainly outperforms 2008 but in real life it depends on how much of that you want to use (FC). I find turbo lag in mid range rpms so i either go slow or (rarely) pedal hard from stop go.

6AT GB is also somewhat hit or miss (still running in) but seems like a lot of good comments about EAT6. btw how do u feel about gear changes of Aisin EAT6 vs GM 6AT? my take is that if the EAT6 is the better performer then it can unleash the most potential on roads.

tech wise astra should be more high tech with lane watch, foward collision avoidance and apple carplay. touchscreen is also very responsive with good resolution.

pug cars come with 3M solar film but Astra only comes with Rikecool. dont know what leather 2008 comes in but astra has quite good locally fitted leather compared to mazda 3

how is rear passenger legroom for 2008? i think the astra is pretty roomy but if ur seated at SUV height maybe less legroom is required.

did u compare the interior cabin quality of 2008 and Astra? whats ur thoughts?

Thanks Johnny86 for the comprehensive reply. With regard to the GB, I think it's a tie, no preference to either though the Astra felt more responsive.

Interior wise the Astra is definitely a notch better than the 2008. Rear legroom my wife sat at the back for both and she's okay with both.

so far no issue too. i think the UK forum would have exploded with 300 pages if its a prevalent issue.

so far no issue too. i think the UK forum would have exploded with 300 pages if its a prevalent issue.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1