Opel Astra 2016

ki_chiu

Okay, got my ride, a 1.4T HB. It is faster than my previous 2.0 naturally aspirated Japanese car. Close the door and it feels solid.

As I said before, this car gives you the best bang for your buck. It is a very under-rated car. Now even cheaper due to drop in COE.

Oh well, sometimes you just have to step out of the box and experience it.

Power of a 2.0 and a torque of a 2.4!

Next month (March) go for the 1000 km servicing so I see how it is. In April, most probably drive up north to "exercise" its engine.

Congrats bro!!! [bounce2]

I planning to do a turn around in a week or 2. Let the beast run wild for a day.  [laugh]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

10k onwards is similar. Every 10k or 6mths.

Will follow AD until package ends and intend to change oil every 8k.

Interesting, a conti car with a service schedule of a Jap car..

Free oil change?

Most Conti cars have a 1 year or 15k schedule..

I used to change oil DIY on my optra, and I do it every 5000km, thinking of changing this factory oil at 5000km mark also. [:p]

the computer showing my oil is at 86% after 1400km, seem like oil burning fast? :huh:

OK what. Just nice.

using 95 for the past 3 weeks, but was just wondering what would be the different of 92, 95, 98. Because last time my Japanese and Korean cars recommended 95, but i dont find any different with 92. Then chevy mini was 95, and 97 did wonders, never try 98. 

I suspect 98 will work better if we dont have chance of high rev often, but I using the manual mode, and I usually shift up at 3000-3500rpm, plus i can go NSHW every month to clear carbon, so thinking will 92 work.  [:p]  [laugh]  [laugh]

Let me try try.  ^_^

Answer for you.

https://youtu.be/WTaBngvsPrc

• Praise 3

Free oil change?

Oil change is free for 3/5 years depending on the deal.

I'm not complaining about jap service schedule as long as engine works well. After all with a turbocharger and driving in SG conditions i don't feel safe doing it at 15k

Edited by Johnny86
  • Praise 1

Free oil change?

I think Merc is 20k or 1 year? Not sure of BMW, but I dont think Audi is 1 yr or 15K.

Fiat, ford, seat, peugeot, citroen, renault, mayb even VW are still on 10,000km or 6 months servicing I think.

My deal is 5 years free servicing, that includes everything except wear and tear items. So except tire and brake pads, all fluid and filters are covered in the servicing. usually  stated in service Manuel. [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

Edited by Tianmo

I think Merc is 20k or 1 year? Not sure of BMW, but I dont think Audi is 1 yr or 15K.

My deal is 5 years free servicing, that includes everything except wear and tear items. So except tire and brake pads, all fluid and filters are covered in the servicing. usually  stated in service Manuel. [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

15k..

Good deal man, solid price and free service.. superb value..

15k..

Good deal man, solid price and free service.. superb value..

I think is value for money lor. But seriously, basic servicing doesnt cost much, I DIY almost everything myself on my last car.   [:p]  [laugh]  [laugh]

Fiat, ford, seat, peugeot, citroen, renault, mayb even VW are still on 10,000km or 6 months servicing I think.

audi iirc is 15k. my colleague drives an a3 sportback

I think is value for money lor. But seriously, basic servicing doesnt cost much, I DIY almost everything myself on my last car.   [:p]  [laugh]  [laugh]

dexos2 oil not that easy to find now lol

so far able to get amsoil or castrol black.

but still will cost around $60+ for 4 quarts , filter maybe $10, DIY saves you $10-$30 depending

free 5 years also close to $1k liao.

audi iirc is 15k. my colleague drives an a3 sportback

dexos2 oil not that easy to find now lol

so far able to get amsoil or castrol black.

but still will cost around $60+ for 4 quarts , filter maybe $10, DIY saves you $10-$30 depending

free 5 years also close to $1k liao.

wait ah, isnt dexos2 for diesel cars? or i read wrongly?

I remember i read dexos1 is for petrol cars, and dexos1 sld be quite common among the major brands,  manual stated it is ok to use ILSAC  GF-5 or API SN  in the case if dexos1 is not available.

Most of the newer oils now are ILSAC GF-5 and API SN compatible, even the cheap MAG 1 oil i bought from amazon is API SN. I think even car-lube is API SN now.  

of course if comparing DIY to AD service cost, the different is quite alot. AD would easily charge more than 200 bucks for one oil change. If base on AD prices, 5 yrs free service is more than $1k lor. base on $200 per service is already $2k, if plus the other major service at 40k, 60K and 80K, and 100k,  i think is even more.  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

wait ah, isnt dexos2 for diesel cars? or i read wrongly?

I remember i read dexos1 is for petrol cars, and dexos1 sld be quite common among the major brands,  manual stated it is ok to use ILSAC  GF-5 or API SN  in the case if dexos1 is not available.

Most of the newer oils now are ILSAC GF-5 and API SN compatible, even the cheap MAG 1 oil i bought from amazon is API SN. I think even car-lube is API SN now.  

of course if comparing DIY to AD service cost, the different is quite alot. AD would easily charge more than 200 bucks for one oil change. If base on AD prices, 5 yrs free service is more than $1k lor. base on $200 per service is already $2k, if plus the other major service at 40k, 60K and 80K, and 100k,  i think is even more.  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

i am not sure if the free servicing includes major services. i took the servicing checklist and at least up to 60k everything is inspect. if need to change, who bear the cost? but i posed this question to SE so the answer may not be accurate.

for me 4/5year need to top up $800. do u think they would change coolant pump, AC pulley belt at the end of 5th year at 100k?

iirc dexos1 was for older ecotecs, now newer ecotecs call for dexos2 5w30

Edited by Johnny86

IMO, in SG, with city driving, 95 works fine.

If you are in M'sia and have access to cheap Vpower, why not? Then let rip and give your engine a chance to breath..

if you are driving the car for full 10 yrs, it is better to use higher grade petrol and engine oil. 

But because i dont, i usually dont drive the same car for more than 5 yrs, so I like to try the different fuel and oils.

I changed EO every 5000km or so DIY because i wanted and like the feel of new oil in the engine. My logic is a lousy new oil is better than a very used good oil. Mayb I am wrong or mayb I am overkilling the oil change, but i guess is just a personal kind of thing.  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

My friend used VX oil, change oil very 3000km, but change filter every 5000km, simply crazy fellow.  [:p]

Now I have to reconsider liao.  [laugh]

Next time I ask you to help me check stuff like oil etc... I am no pro under the bonnet :)

if i am able to help, I am most glad to, is just a msg or a call away.  [thumbsup]  [laugh]  [laugh]

i am not sure if the free servicing includes major services. i took the servicing checklist and at least up to 60k everything is inspect. if need to change, who bear the cost? but i posed this question to SE so the answer may not be accurate.

for me 4/5year need to top up $800. do u think they would change coolant pump, AC pulley belt at the end of 5th year at 100k?

iirc dexos1 was for older ecotecs, now newer ecotecs call for dexos2 5w30

let me go back to the manual tomorrow, what to change at what mileage sld be listed in the manual IIRC.

Under usual serving package, is usually inspect only for most fluid, but if need to change it sld be on the house. The problem is most fluid usually you cant test, so end of day is eye power check only. And up to 60K or 3 yrs, most parts are still new, things only start to break after the 4 or 5 yr mark. Even if nothing change also nothing will happen within that 3 yrs, provided you top up EO when ever it runs low.  [laugh]

The thing with GM is, their coolant is so call "Long life coolant', their manual never call for coolant change one. Their ATF is also spec as long life ATF, some cars they dont even want you to change the ATF. So these are almost out . Really crazy fellows. 

So coolant, water pump , ATF , PSF, brake fluid, you can all forget about they changing for you.  [:p]

AC pulley belt if they dont change at 60K, if break they answer for engine overhaul lor.  I dont think the belts can last till 100k.  [:p]  

I remember my manual stated as dexos1 leh, and call for 5w30 or 10w30, and that dexos2 is for diesel cars. I pay special attention to this because I was wondering what is the different. But still  I will check it out tomorrow in the manual .

Anyway I will go back to the manual and check out these stuffs again, and mayb drop them a line to find out .

I would also most likely flush out the gear oil and EO  and the other fluid after I come back from the NSHW run, change the filters if I need to. Afterall these are in the car for more than 6 months already.  [laugh]

And so, SPC 92 went into the tank this morning, with the refill lights up, showing 80km left, I figure that is about mayb like 5L left.  [:p] so technically the whole tank is fill with SPC92. 

Any different? 

I tell you is sibei funny, The car is more lively, more responsive. Before this fill i usually rev up to 3000-3500 for gear change, but this morning it went up to 4000 rpm before I realize it and a few times no chance to go into 5th gear at all. No sign of car not happy with the fuel at all. 

But one thing I didnt like, dash board show my FC went up from 6.6L/km to 7.7L/km. It was only on day one that I saw 7.7L/km, after that it has been on the way down till the lowest 6.4L/km, but today went straight up to 7.7L/km. <_<

So I tried again on PIE, and 40km later, it went back to 7L/km. Will see what happen with the next 2 fill ups. But I like the feel of the drive. 

I usually dont monitor fuel price, but this morning i took a look and find something funny.

SPC92 ---$2.07

SPC95 ---$2.11

SPC98 ---$2.41

the different in price 92 to 95 is only 4 cents while 95 to 98 is 30 cents. so much different  :huh:

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1