Missing Seat Cushion on Turkish Airlines Flight... Turkish!

Boringchap

(edited)

Ever boarded a plane to fly off and be confronted with a metal chair and a missing seat cushion? I admit this has never happened to me until our recent experience on Turkish Airlines.  We were flying from Singapore to Istanbul and onward to Copenhagen.  This was on the Istanbul to Copenhagen leg.  We had to take an airport bus to board the plane.  It was a nice and sunny morning.  We got on board, walked to our seats, and were confronted with a dirty detached seat cushion on a metal seat. 

Not a great way to start a flight, I reckon.  I first alerted a male cabin crew, who didn't seem too surprised.  But he disappeared.  Really!  Then I alerted a female cabin crew, who said she will help sort this out.  True enough, she came back within a few minutes with a new cushion and fitted it. Well done! Here is a short video clip of the dirty cushion experience. 

To be fair, the rest of the flight and also the earlier leg was pretty good. We were on a holiday and headed to Copenhagen.  Originally we planned to book SQ for the 4 of us, but the option of Turkish Airlines came along and we could save almost $2K for the 4 of us.  So we decided to give Turkish a try.  Here are the videos of our experience.

At Changi Airport, when we checked in, I was informed by the check-in staff that I could use the SATS Premier Lounge (even though I was flying in Economy) because I was Star Alliance Gold status.  Well, I recently turned Star Gold and I don't even have my card yet, so I wasn't expecting this.  Anyway, it was great, though I could only bring one guest.  At the lounge entrance, I asked nicely if I could bring both my kids and the reception staff kindly agreed.  My wife stayed outside though, she went shopping.  Later on, I found out that SATS Premier Lounges were also Priority Pass lounges, so we could have used the lounge, albeit for a fee.

Here is the video of the lounge, which is used by a good number of airlines.  I guess this is called a contract lounge.  They had a decent hot food selection, not as good as the SilverKris, but good enough for most.  There was the signature laksa, which tasted good.  Also they had 3 OSIM massage chairs at one corner.  Cool!

Edited by Boringchap
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 7

Our flight was TK55 and departed at 2200hrs from Changi Terminal 1. The plane was almost full, with a good number of passengers from Singapore, including some aunties (if you watch the video, you can hear some of their voices during boarding, exclaiming that 2-4-2 is good).  What is 2-4-2? That's the seating configuration on the plane, 2-4-2.  Flight time was 11 hours and two meals were served.  Flight was smooth and we got to Istanbul slightly ahead of schedule.   

We arrived in Istanbul slightly ahead of schedule and the next flight was a good 3 hours or more away.  We had already decided beforehand, and having read how busy Istanbul Airport would be, that we would park ourselves in a Priority Pass lounge.  Both my wife and I are Priority Pass holders (get the card free from our credit card), but we have to pay for lounge admission at US27 per person.  Well, since we had factored in this expense, we went for it, and it was a good decision because the airport was indeed crowded and the lounge provided a nice oasis to rest for a bit, with some food and drink.  Here is a video of the experience.

We enjoyed the peaceful time in the lounge, and when it was time to board, we made our way to the gate.  We had to take a bus to the plane bound for Copenhagen which was flight TK1783.  The bus ride was nice, could see many planes.  When we boarded, we found the missing cushion that I had talked about earlier.  Once that was fixed, everything was smooth. Flight was good and we got some food to eat.  We arrived in Copenhagen about 10 minutes ahead of schedule.

seems like your full time job is flying and touring... very envious.... [:p]

I praise and thank the Lord for the many opportunities to travel.  This Turkish flights were on a recent family holiday.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

Will be flying on same airline soon. Their tickets price is very competitive. My 2nd time trying this airline. Will see whether better experience this time round. 

Turbocharged

Trust me, when you started to fly frequently, you won't enjoy or envy anymore, especially the food... yucks...

• Praise 1

(edited)

I more scare of air pockets and turbulence. [bigcry]

Some airlines the food quite OK lah. Anyway, I must have food on board. Dunno why... maybe it's an entertainment by itself within the confine. [laugh]

Trust me, when you started to fly frequently, you won't enjoy or envy anymore, especially the food... yucks...

Edited by Kangadrool

Turbocharged

I quited my job many years ago because too much flying. I was given all kind of alliance cards, but I seldom use the lounges. If I use, it is mostly to make conference calls and not for the food. I am sick of the food and even more sick of seeing an airport.

Trust me, it is no fun because end of it all, being close with your love ones is the most important of all.

• Praise 6

We arrived in Istanbul slightly ahead of schedule and the next flight was a good 3 hours or more away.  We had already decided beforehand, and having read how busy Istanbul Airport would be, that we would park ourselves in a Priority Pass lounge.  Both my wife and I are Priority Pass holders (get the card free from our credit card), but we have to pay for lounge admission at US27 per person.  Well, since we had factored in this expense, we went for it, and it was a good decision because the airport was indeed crowded and the lounge provided a nice oasis to rest for a bit, with some food and drink.  Here is a video of the experience.

Hi Bro, envy of you .. and you are definitely not a Boring-chap :D

Hi Bro, envy of you .. and you are definitely not a Boring-chap :D

I only discovered this Priority Pass thing about 6 months back after doing research for this trip.  I had been using the Citibank Premier Miles credit card for a while now but I didn't look into the lounge access issue.   The Turkish lounge we used is a paid lounge -  you can walk in and pay, but the price was about 40 Euros per pax.  With Priority Pass, it became US27 per pax. 

For Citibank, I later found out you have to ask the bank to send you an application form for the Priority Pass membership which is complimentary with the credit card and includes 2 free lounge visits per year.   Since we travel as a family, I asked my wife to apply for the same credit card and also got the Priority Pass card for her.  So between us we have 4 free visits per year, and each additional visit costs US27, which isn't too bad if you need a place to chill out during long layovers. 

I think other credit cards also tie up with Priority Pass.  I think this is a great freebie for a credit card, if you travel. 

Supersonic

I only discovered this Priority Pass thing about 6 months back after doing research for this trip.  I had been using the Citibank Premier Miles credit card for a while now but I didn't look into the lounge access issue.   The Turkish lounge we used is a paid lounge -  you can walk in and pay, but the price was about 40 Euros per pax.  With Priority Pass, it became US27 per pax. 

For Citibank, I later found out you have to ask the bank to send you an application form for the Priority Pass membership which is complimentary with the credit card and includes 2 free lounge visits per year.   Since we travel as a family, I asked my wife to apply for the same credit card and also got the Priority Pass card for her.  So between us we have 4 free visits per year, and each additional visit costs US27, which isn't too bad if you need a place to chill out during long layovers. 

I think other credit cards also tie up with Priority Pass.  I think this is a great freebie for a credit card, if you travel. 

There are a few cards with unlimited PP but you probably need to pay for the card in the first place:

1. citi prestige

2. Amex plat charge card

3. hsbc visa infinite

4. stand chart visa infinite

There are a few cards with unlimited PP but you probably need to pay for the card in the first place:

1. citi prestige

2. Amex plat charge card

3. hsbc visa infinite

4. stand chart visa infinite

Thanks for the info and for providing the list.  Yes, I was aware of this possibility, but I think you are right that have to pay the fees.  For Citi prestige, it is S$535 per year.  Right now, I don't pay anything for my Citi Premier Miles and they always waive my annual fees since I do spend with it.

Perhaps if I am a priority or premier customer at these banks, I can get the card without fees, but until then I'll just rely on the free cards.  

I don't know people why people complain about airline food.

I absolutely love. Before I board the plane I go for a Burger King

upsize meal. On board I will eat the salad, bread roll, cheese crackers

and dessert - hopefully its the ice cream chocolate squares

and leave the main course untouch and never complain.

:D

• Praise 2

Supersonic

Turkish airlines...hmm...dangerous.

Terrorists could target that.

Be careful guys.

↡ Advertisement