Brexit - Remain or Leave EU?

Vid

Supercharged

Technically yes. On the other hand, the UK did join the EEC (precursor, at least economically, to the full EU) in 1973. They applied earlier in the 60s but were rejected because Charles de Gaulle didn't trust the Brits. Or rather he trusted them to be Yankee lapdogs. :D

The Yes Minister clip I posted was apropos of the EEC Common Market.

They are voting not to renew the membership which i believed started 1993 . UK really in a bind now , damm if they leave , damm if they stay . 

↡ Advertisement

Imagine PRs can vote in our GE/By-erections....

:blink:

When British citizens go to the polls today to vote if they want to remain in the European Union (EU), Singaporean student Andy Wong Ming Jun will also be there to cast his ballot.

As a Commonwealth citizen living in the country, he has the right to vote in a national election under British law. His vote would be for a Brexit, because he believes he is disadvantaged as a non-EU citizen.

"I find it unfair that law-abiding non-EU citizens... have to face a disproportionate number of hoops to jump through in order to seek a future in the UK after graduating from university, while EU citizens get to have a free pass by virtue of the passport they hold," said the 23-year-old politics and history undergraduate at the University of Hull.

A post-study work visa that allowed international students from non-EU countries to stay in Britain and work for up to two years after graduation was scrapped in 2012. Now, they have only four months after graduation to find work here.

The people of 54 Commonwealth countries such as Singapore, Malaysia, Brunei and Sri Lanka, as well as Ireland, have voting rights here - a legacy of the British empire. Census figures from 2011 show that about 960,000 Commonwealth citizens living in England and Wales are eligible to vote. But this voting entitlement has not gone down well in certain quarters.

Think-tank Migration Watch argued that the right to vote in British general elections should be confined to citizens as well as people from countries that offer reciprocal voting rights, such as Ireland and certain West Indies countries.

A petition asking that only British citizens be allowed to vote in the EU referendum garnered more than 40,000 signatures in April. In response, the British government said that the franchise for the EU referendum is based on the franchise for parliamentary elections.

Singaporean Helena Lim- Poole, 43, concedes that it is not entirely fair that Commonwealth citizens who are here for the short term have a say in a national referendum.

When British citizens go to the polls today to vote if they want to remain in the European Union (EU), Singaporean student Andy Wong Ming Jun will also be there to cast his ballot.

I thought they have a Queen so its British subjects right?

:D

Don't worry about this.. it will non event by next month

remember Grexit? well, i don't  [laugh]

Greece take a lot of money from EU and pay them very little.

So Greece will never vote to leave.

Britain pay a lot to EU and take back very little money.

So Britain leave got chance.

i will listen to her  ...

post-1109-0-29595900-1466672687_thumb.pn

Silly cushion. I wish someone will just take it from her and throw it away.

• Praise 3

UK just recently convinced the Scots to stay, now they are having their own reference to leave the EU. Hmmm... 

England is very smart, if they leave EU then they do not have to give any money to Europe.

But if Scotland leaves then the Scot will stop giving oil money to London.

• Praise 1

beware of pump and dump ... [sly]

i hope STI tomorrow cheong to the roof ... huat ah!

Futures are UP ... so looks like it will be "remain"...

Oh well.... nothing going to change ...

post-7984-0-17427700-1466681734_thumb.jpg

• Praise 1

Oh Germany will... it's in their best interest. They are happy to be lumped together with the lesser performing southern EU economies... as this keeps the Euro down... and Germany is a huge manufacturing and exporting country.

If by itself... for sure the Deutche Mark would be a lot stronger than the Euro... making their exports that little bit more expensive.

Germans are pretty tactical and technical in their approach to issues.

Am pretty sure they have figured out if/when they leave EU, how to peg the DM at an export competitive level, and their central bank has the resources to do it.

Then they too will be rid of the dead beats.

This could be the beginning of the end of EU.

• Praise 3

Hypersonic

KNN... I need to remit GBP in few weeks time....

Shooting up these 2 days already. The sentiments is remain as it stands.
↡ Advertisement