Would you trust this doctor?

Little_prince

(edited)

A doctor from Myanmar has been cleared of producing fake medical certificates here.

District Judge Kamala Ponnampalam in judgment grounds released yesterday said the prosecution had not proven the two certificates were fraudulent documents.

She made clear that just because Dr Hnin Wai Hlaing was not on the Myanmar Medical Council's (MMC) registration list did not mean her certificates from Yangon were counterfeit.

She also noted that a key witness from the MMC had conceded it was difficult to say whether Dr Hnin's registration certificate was false because the MMC has many versions of the card.

The judge added that the defence had raised "reasonable doubt as to the accuracy of the MMC's manual register which the prosecution's witness had relied on to the exclusion of all else".

Dr Hnin, 40, had been charged with producing to the Singapore Medical Council two fake certificates of registration and good standing said to be issued by the MMC in order to satisfy practising requirements here.

A graduate from the University of Medicine 1 in Yangon, she worked as a doctor there before moving to Singapore in 2008. She worked at the National Cancer Centre here and Singapore General Hospital (SGH) from 2013.

SGH did a verification check with the MMC in 2014. It replied that it did not issue a registration certificate or a certificate of good standing to Dr Hnin. After a probe, SGH terminated her contract in November 2014.

In court, the prosecution's case rested on the strength of the MMC's manual records. The prosecution invited the court to infer that Dr Hnin's certificates were fraudulent because she was not on the MMC's register of doctors.

Dr Naing Win from the MMC testified that the registration number of Dr Hnin's certificate was assigned to another doctor who is still alive and concluded that Dr Hnin's registration certificate was not issued by the MMC.

In court, Dr Naing produced a photocopy of an extract from the MMC's manual register of doctors.

Dr Hnin's lawyer, Mr Peter Ong, pointed to several corrections made to the registration numbers with white fluid but Dr Naing was unable to explain why they were done or what was amended.

The judge found this "significant". Dr Naing was also unable to produce a true copy of the MMC's manual register for 2004 to 2006 as asked by the court, saying he was denied by the MMC and could only produce electronic records.

But the electronic records shed no light on the questions relating to the correction patches.

Mr Ong suggested, among other things, that Dr Hnin could have been given a wrong registration number or there had been an administrative lapse. Judge Ponnampalam agreed: "From Dr Naing Win's responses, it is evident that a mistake could have gone undetected until such a time like in this case, when circumstances prompt a search of the register."

The judge added there was no dispute that Dr Hnin graduated as a doctor and " had no reason not to register herself with the MMC or to subsequently produce fraudulent certificates." The prosecution is appealing against the decision.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/courts-crime/judge-yangon-doctors-papers-may-not-be-fake

IT professionals with fake MBA is one thing but doctors with questionable qualifications is quite another.

lucky that SMA did their due dilligence. 

just quick question to the doctors here. would you question a doctor's competence if he's not registered with the medical council? 

would any of you still dare go to him, even if he has a degree?

i find it quite scary. 

my view is, if in doubt, any doubt at all, no matter how small, they should not be allowed to practice here.

what do you guys think?

Edited by Little_prince
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Supersonic

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/courts-crime/judge-yangon-doctors-papers-may-not-be-fake

IT professionals with fake MBA is one thing but doctors with questionable qualifications is quite another.

lucky that SMA did their due dilligence. 

just quick question to the doctors here. would you question a doctor's competence if he's not registered with the medical council? 

would any of you still dare go to him, even if he has a degree?

i find it quite scary. 

my view is, if in doubt, any doubt at all, no matter how small, they should not be allowed to practice here.

what do you guys think?

After reading the case, my thoughts are that ALL Burmese doctors cannot be trusted. Their medical council anyhow do things.... How do you know if someone from there is really registered or trained?

• Praise 2

After reading the case, my thoughts are that ALL Burmese doctors cannot be trusted. Their medical council anyhow do things.... How do you know if someone from there is really registered or trained?

if the burmese doctors are as "good" as the burmese engineers that come here. then i think we will be better off without them.

what do the local docs think?

@turboflat4 @lala81 @radx

• Praise 1

Any doctor who will not waste time asking questions, take a look at you, no need of medicine and then issue 4 days MC just for a slight cough is a good doctor..... :XD:

I will see that doctor ... :secret-laugh:

(edited)

There are not many burmese here from my time. Compared to Filipino or Indian nationals.

The 2-3 i've worked with are as good as any local grad. But they have been here for many years and are also very experienced. So it could also be a process of self selection.

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 3

I've seen my fair share of both but they senior ones here for the longest time are just as good as what lala said. Credentials aside, they tend to be less dependent on technology and real medical acumen and skills come in.

Me not Doctor la ... Say many times

• Praise 2

If this doctor in question is really fake it would take a lot of courage for her to practice medicine in Singapore. She would expose herself unconsciously in no time simply becoz she do not have what it takes to be a doctor.

From what was mentioned it's possible someone corrupt in the MMC could have made changes to the records (using liquid paper LoL...) for another fake doctor. In other words the two of the doctors sharing the same register number one of them is a fake and he/she got someone to alter the records.

I think most people who are guilty of cheating would not have stayed on and fought this case if she wasn't registered with the MMC. 

But who knows, maybe she is a Yang Yin.

Well whatever it is, she can't work here anymore right unless she has definite proof she graduated and is registered with MMC.

I think most people who are guilty of cheating would not have stayed on and fought this case if she wasn't registered with the MMC. 

Well whatever it is, she can't work here anymore right unless she has definite proof she graduated and is registered with MMC.

anyone who claims to have a simi simi degree should sit for nus' exam

Supersonic

Yeah lor. 

Based on the facts, I can't conclusively say whether she is a fake doctor or real one.

But the problem is that her original credentials are supposedly issued by MMC which is not to be trusted at all. 

why need to prove cert were fake

not on the list, means not doctor

I think she's defending herself that she graduated and her work history is correct. The only thing is that she somehow has a fake registration with the MMC which she is claiming is not her fault.

If she is defending herself over here, either she must be a very brazen liar/all or nothing scenario or she doesn't know why she has a fake registration.

Checking with SMC my registration record nao! :D

they always collect money from me every 2 years. I must be registered  [lipsrsealed]

↡ Advertisement