Bulge on tyre sidewall, conflicting advise

Whiteice78

Recently, was toying with the idea of upsizing wheels to 18s. Saw an advert for some 17" used tyres with reasonable amount of meat left so decided to purchase from a tyre shop that lists heavily in this forum while I take my time to shop for used premium 18s. 

Less than 300km of usage later, one of the tyres developed a bulge on the sidewall. The hump is no more than 3-5mm tall but after doing some research online, everything points to the tyre having being curbed and damaged. Most online advise was to switch out to prevent a blowout.

Went back to this tyre shop to seek assistance but was extremely surprised and puzzled that the boss and worker said it was not an issue and that the tyre is safe for continued use. I asked like 5 times but each time they reassured me it's not a problem. These guys run a tyre shop so they should be experts in this field, yet I keep reading otherwise online.

Anyone can clarify? Or have personal experiences?

TIA

↡ Advertisement

Ur tyres are e oni contacts btw e car and e road..DUN play around. 

As you mentioned, a bulge on e side wall no matter how big or small is not worth the risk to you and ur family.

Get it replaced ASAP!!!

• Praise 2

Dude you do realise that they don't want to see you or entertain you that's why they are behaving in such a manner. Trying to help you solve the problem means incurring additional cost which the shop doesn't want to incur. If you really want them to do something, go down and bang table. Make sure they do something about it.

If need be, take it out with small claims. Will waste time and a bit of money but usually the biz owner will be forced to turn up and work something out.

Twincharged
(edited)

Recently, was toying with the idea of upsizing wheels to 18s. Saw an advert for some 17" used tyres with reasonable amount of meat left so decided to purchase from a tyre shop that lists heavily in this forum while I take my time to shop for used premium 18s.

Less than 300km of usage later, one of the tyres developed a bulge on the sidewall. The hump is no more than 3-5mm tall but after doing some research online, everything points to the tyre having being curbed and damaged. Most online advise was to switch out to prevent a blowout.

Went back to this tyre shop to seek assistance but was extremely surprised and puzzled that the boss and worker said it was not an issue and that the tyre is safe for continued use. I asked like 5 times but each time they reassured me it's not a problem. These guys run a tyre shop so they should be experts in this field, yet I keep reading otherwise online.

TIA

My experience on this, there was once while driving at 80km/h at Benoi road at night, last minute saw a stone bigger than usual size, tried to avoid it but it was too late.

My front left sidewall tyre hit the stone and give a car a good shake. Stopped the car at the road side and check for any tyre damaged, surprised that there is no visible damage at the point. It is only until the next morning when I driving out then realise that my front left sidewall tyre had a small budge like what you mentioned. Since there is still a lot of tyre thread, I decided to not to change the tyre as the budge seems to be not that serious. True enough the tyres still holds for next few months of driving without any problem.

That is my experience, but it all depends on you. The budge I had may not be the same spot of where your budge is.

Edited by Yewheng

Side wall of a tyre is a lot thinner than that of the threaded area, if it bulges out meaning it may burst anytime. For safety reasons one should have it replaced as soon as possible.

• Praise 5

If you have to ask such questions, and your life AND OTHERS depends on it, just change!

• Praise 4

(edited)

Side wall of a tyre is a lot thinner than that of the threaded area, if it bulges out meaning it may burst anytime. For safety reasons one should have it replaced as soon as possible.

agree.

I have similar sidewall bump too in the past either because i hit a pothole at significant speed or overloading or underinflated. It was on old hyundai trajet at that time.  Checked with tyre shop - cannot be repaired, was advised to replace asap as it may cause tyre failure eg burst, causing loss of control/accident.

Just replace the tyre but also ask them to check the rim for any damage, which if bad need replacement too.

Alternatively, swapped it with the spare tyre (but when using this damaged spare tyre, drive slowly and for short distance only before replacing it)

Edited by alphard96

agree.

I have similar sidewall bump too in the past either because i hit a pothole at significant speed or overloading or underinflated. It was on old hyundai trajet at that time.  Checked with tyre shop - cannot be repaired, was advised to replace asap as it may cause tyre failure eg burst, causing loss of control/accident.

Just replace the tyre but also ask them to check the rim for any damage, which if bad need replacement too.

Alternatively, swapped it with the spare tyre (but when using this damaged spare tyre, drive slowly and for short distance only before replacing it)

safety can never be compromised [thumbsup]  [thumbsup]

(edited)

My goodness... Just change them.

If you have already upsized your tyres, perhaps it's time to downgrade to stock specs and have them frequently and appropriately changed when necessary.

Changing to bigger size tyre will only cost more and hence make your change "difficult" aka heart pain everytime things do not seem right. If that is the cause, revert to stock specs.

Car tyres are dirt cheap compared to motorcycle tyres. Don't scrimp on that.

Edited by Kangadrool

Dude you do realise that they don't want to see you or entertain you that's why they are behaving in such a manner. Trying to help you solve the problem means incurring additional cost which the shop doesn't want to incur. If you really want them to do something, go down and bang table. Make sure they do something about it.

If need be, take it out with small claims. Will waste time and a bit of money but usually the biz owner will be forced to turn up and work something out.

i dun think there is proof to show that the shop is cheating or dishonest to file a claim.

It's used tyres... So.... go with it with some right expectations... unless there's black and white kind of guarantee.

i dun think there is proof to show that the shop is cheating or dishoner to file a claim.

• Praise 1

Recently, was toying with the idea of upsizing wheels to 18s. Saw an advert for some 17" used tyres with reasonable amount of meat left so decided to purchase from a tyre shop that lists heavily in this forum while I take my time to shop for used premium 18s. 

TIA

there is no conflict, just change.

You have two viable options, replace 1 tyre immediately, or speed up your R18 search and replace the whole set of tyres and rims.

Think about this: Changing a tyre cost <$200 (used one may even be had for <$50) vs accident (loss of properties and probably lives), which is more critical?!

Share with you something. Just 8 - 9 months ago, I noticed a bald patch on my rear tyre (later than I realised it is caused by an alignment issue) in the morning, and without the need to think further, I spend 15 mins to replace the tyre immediately, and my kids ended up almost late for class. BUT to me, it is late than never.

And from then on, I make it a point to check my tyre condition on a weekly basis.

• Praise 9

Think about this: Changing a tyre cost <$200 (used one may even be had for <$50) vs accident (loss of properties and probably lives), which is more critical?!

Share with you something. Just 8 - 9 months ago, I noticed a bald patch on my rear tyre (later than I realised it is caused by an alignment issue) in the morning, and without the need to think further, I spend 15 mins to replace the tyre immediately, and my kids ended up almost late for class. BUT to me, it is late than never.

And from then on, I make it a point to check my tyre condition on a weekly basis.

indeed bro!  one can never put a price on life!

Glad you are rational and deciisive! [thumbsup]  [thumbsup]

↡ Advertisement