Bulge on tyre sidewall, conflicting advise

Whiteice78

Your tire shop will tell you no need to change if they have to be the one replacing you another tire for free.

Your tire shop will tell you that you must change it if they can sell you a new tire.

You can tell them that you will document the bulging tire with their receipt in a bunch of photos, and that they said it was safe to drive on. If anything happens to you or your car as a result of that tire it is on their head. For fairness' sake you will post it up on the Internet.

See if they dare to swallow the responsibility.

↡ Advertisement

Nobody in the right frame of mind will do even for brand new tyres.

Your tire shop will tell you no need to change if they have to be the one replacing you another tire for free.

Your tire shop will tell you that you must change it if they can sell you a new tire.

You can tell them that you will document the bulging tire with their receipt in a bunch of photos, and that they said it was safe to drive on. If anything happens to you or your car as a result of that tire it is on their head. For fairness' sake you will post it up on the Internet.

See if they dare to swallow the responsibility.

The tyre found new owner, excited about it and erects a small boner?

Just change lah. Cant imagine tyre burst when u are on the E-Way!

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

Recently, was toying with the idea of upsizing wheels to 18s. Saw an advert for some 17" used tyres with reasonable amount of meat left so decided to purchase from a tyre shop that lists heavily in this forum while I take my time to shop for used premium 18s.

Less than 300km of usage later, one of the tyres developed a bulge on the sidewall. The hump is no more than 3-5mm tall but after doing some research online, everything points to the tyre having being curbed and damaged. Most online advise was to switch out to prevent a blowout.

Went back to this tyre shop to seek assistance but was extremely surprised and puzzled that the boss and worker said it was not an issue and that the tyre is safe for continued use. I asked like 5 times but each time they reassured me it's not a problem. These guys run a tyre shop so they should be experts in this field, yet I keep reading otherwise online.

Anyone can clarify? Or have personal experiences?

TIA

Personally I would say change it, just for ease of mind and safety. What tyre brand is this anyway? Maybe you can nego for a replacement at the workshop with discount?

But from experience I had a close Friend in Aust who had a tennis ball size bump on his tyre which he drove for 2 odd years with no issues. I'm not advocating this approach but just sharing from own experiences, also bearing in mind he's a Sunday driver hardly exceeds 80kmh

Dude you do realise that they don't want to see you or entertain you that's why they are behaving in such a manner. Trying to help you solve the problem means incurring additional cost which the shop doesn't want to incur. If you really want them to do something, go down and bang table. Make sure they do something about it.

If need be, take it out with small claims. Will waste time and a bit of money but usually the biz owner will be forced to turn up and work something out.

you siao bo........ what has it got to do with the tyre shop........ they should be more than happy to ask TS to change so can earn more money....

Think about this: Changing a tyre cost <$200 (used one may even be had for <$50) vs accident (loss of properties and probably lives), which is more critical?!

Share with you something. Just 8 - 9 months ago, I noticed a bald patch on my rear tyre (later than I realised it is caused by an alignment issue) in the morning, and without the need to think further, I spend 15 mins to replace the tyre immediately, and my kids ended up almost late for class. BUT to me, it is late than never.

And from then on, I make it a point to check my tyre condition on a weekly basis.

do you rotate your tyres?

At the very least, swap the tyre to the rear not the front while you decide what to do.

When it blows out at least you dont lose steering as well...

Thnks for the overwhelming unaninous advice of switching out. I have expediated and just confirmed a set of 18s. Will treat this $300 as a lesson learnt.

Thnks for the overwhelming unaninous advice of switching out. I have expediated and just confirmed a set of 18s. Will treat this $300 as a lesson learnt.

good on you bro!  Never compromise when you are doubtful

Drive safe!

if worry about cost, just change 2 pcs of new tyres. Those KR ones like Kumho or something similar.

cheap new tyres>old worn out expensive ones.

Im am just appalled that these "tyre pros" can tell me it is safe to use without batting an eyelid. And i had my 5 year old in tow too.... profit above everything else.

you siao bo........ what has it got to do with the tyre shop........ they should be more than happy to ask TS to change so can earn more money....

do you rotate your tyres?

Bro, i went back to tyre shop becos they were the ones who sold me 4 used 17s for $300 jus 1 week back and assured me that the tyres were in good condition. They claimed they checked and tested already.

good on you bro! Never compromise when you are doubtful

Drive safe!

Yup, i pity those older folk who dun surf as much. Imagine them in my shoes and the tyre shop tells them to drive on...

Recently, was toying with the idea of upsizing wheels to 18s. Saw an advert for some 17" used tyres with reasonable amount of meat left so decided to purchase from a tyre shop that lists heavily in this forum while I take my time to shop for used premium 18s. 

Less than 300km of usage later, one of the tyres developed a bulge on the sidewall. The hump is no more than 3-5mm tall but after doing some research online, everything points to the tyre having being curbed and damaged. Most online advise was to switch out to prevent a blowout.

Went back to this tyre shop to seek assistance but was extremely surprised and puzzled that the boss and worker said it was not an issue and that the tyre is safe for continued use. I asked like 5 times but each time they reassured me it's not a problem. These guys run a tyre shop so they should be experts in this field, yet I keep reading otherwise online.

Anyone can clarify? Or have personal experiences?

TIA

Your current tyre shop said safe for use. Why not seek another opinion from a different tyre shop?

But if you are seeking opinions here means that you are worried, even if another shop tells you it is ok, you probably still feel uncomfortable. 

Since you are in doubt, just change - if you can change to 18s, what is one tyre to you? Like everyone else here saying... Life is more important!

Turbocharged

thats great, it is good that you checked your tires in the first place.  

• Praise 1

Im am just appalled that these "tyre pros" can tell me it is safe to use without batting an eyelid. And i had my 5 year old in tow too.... profit above everything else.

Bro, i went back to tyre shop becos they were the ones who sold me 4 used 17s for $300 jus 1 week back and assured me that the tyres were in good condition. They claimed they checked and tested already.

Yup, i pity those older folk who dun surf as much. Imagine them in my shoes and the tyre shop tells them to drive on...

yes it is 1 week... but it could be the road condition that cause the lump on your sidewall.... if you failed to check the tyres before your purchase then there is no one really to blame.

My feel is it would have been easier for them to make a profit of you by selling you another batch of new tyres at discounted price

In most cases, the impact that caused the damage was not severe enough to be noticed by the driver, yet it was strong enough to damage the tire. Impacts with curbs, potholes, railroad crossings or debris in the road are the most common culprits. On occasion, a sidewall bubble can be caused not by an impact, but a structural failure of the tire

http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/docs-advice-on-tires/what-does-a-bubble-in-the-sidewall-mean

yes it is 1 week... but it could be the road condition that cause the lump on your sidewall.... if you failed to check the tyres before your purchase then there is no one really to blame.

My feel is it would have been easier for them to make a profit of you by selling you another batch of new tyres at discounted price

In most cases, the impact that caused the damage was not severe enough to be noticed by the driver, yet it was strong enough to damage the tire. Impacts with curbs, potholes, railroad crossings or debris in the road are the most common culprits. On occasion, a sidewall bubble can be caused not by an impact, but a structural failure of the tire

http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/docs-advice-on-tires/what-does-a-bubble-in-the-sidewall-mean

I'm not blaming anyone... look I didn't even name the shop at all. I am even prepared to throw the $300 for 1 week of use and treat it as a lesson learnt. I did a visual inspection when they installed the tyres and there was no bulge.

I drove and know for a fact that I did not curb not hit any potholes. In fact the car was just sitting in the cp of my camp when I went in for ICT shortly after. The bulge only appeared yesterday. Reasonable assumption was the previous owner hit something and proceeded to change tyres even though they were more than 70% thread left.

Unreasonable was that the tyre shop for profit reasons told me it was safe to drive on and described the damage as "nothing lah". "wun burst one". I went to my regular mechanic just now for servicing and even he picked it up and told me to change. If you cant trust a tyre shop on tyre matters, who can you trust?  

It's all about ethics. We all want to make money but if it is at the expense of others' safety and well being, I believe we are better off not doing the biz. Anyway, I have already blacklisted this tyre shop. My first and last time patronizing them.

I'm not blaming anyone... look I didn't even name the shop at all. I am even prepared to throw the $300 for 1 week of use and treat it as a lesson learnt. I did a visual inspection when they installed the tyres and there was no bulge.

I drove and know for a fact that I did not curb not hit any potholes. In fact the car was just sitting in the cp of my camp when I went in for ICT shortly after. The bulge only appeared yesterday. Reasonable assumption was the previous owner hit something and proceeded to change tyres even though they were more than 70% thread left.

Unreasonable was that the tyre shop for profit reasons told me it was safe to drive on and described the damage as "nothing lah". "wun burst one". I went to my regular mechanic just now for servicing and even he picked it up and told me to change. If you cant trust a tyre shop on tyre matters, who can you trust?  

It's all about ethics. We all want to make money but if it is at the expense of others' safety and well being, I believe we are better off not doing the biz. Anyway, I have already blacklisted this tyre shop. My first and last time patronizing them.

What i am trying to say is if it is about profit, the easiest way is to blame you for the bulge then ask you change tyres... afterall there was no bulge when you collected the car.

Why they tell you is safe... i do not know why... maybe you can ask them in here  [sly] 

↡ Advertisement