HSBC Discount with Shell Coupon

Metalslug2

The calculation is confusing. 

For $60 of petrol, is the net amount supposed to be $44.40 or $45.60? The cashier yesterday argued with me saying is because HSBC discount changed so its now $45.60.

But I gotten $44.40 many times before.

↡ Advertisement

$44.40 is when it is 16% discount which is from 1 Jun to 30 Jun.

Then they revert to 14% the usual discount so it's $45.60.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Wah piang... like that also need to check online? The percentage discount is clearly stated on the counter when you pay leh....

I believe last year HSBC was 16%, this year decreased to 14%, but for June special promo back to 16% for 1 month only.

Twincharged

Shell is the most lousy,if you use HSBC Corporate Card,only 5%....Caltex still give 16%...using HSBC Corporate Cards.

Twincharged

Shell is the most lousy,if you use HSBC Corporate Card,only 5%....Caltex still give 16%...using HSBC Corporate Cards.

I used to pump SPC coz it was the cheapest of the lot ... but with the shell vouchers + HSBC, shell wins hands down. if pump $60, almost 25% off !!

anyway when i finish the booklet by the end of the year, i'll be going back to SPC again with my EverydayCard.

• Praise 2

I used to pump SPC coz it was the cheapest of the lot ... but with the shell vouchers + HSBC, shell wins hands down. if pump $60, almost 25% off !!

anyway when i finish the booklet by the end of the year, i'll be going back to SPC again with my EverydayCard.

Same with me, was with esso till Shell came out with the vouchers which made it worthwhile to use them even though their pump price per litre is higher than others. Will switch next year unless they come up with some promo again. Whoever sells the cheapest, will go there since most of the fuels are the same from what I gather.

• Praise 6

5th Gear

I received email and SMS from Shell. For the mth of July, able to buy $500 worth of Shell vouchers with $450 only (using credit card to pay). And able to use the vouchers on top of the current discounts I'm enjoying.

Also very confusing as I'm using HSBC and the $6 discount vouchers currently. So pay $45.60 when I pumped $60. How to use those new vouchers? Must call them to ask.

I bought the $500 fuel vouchers for $450. That's 10% discount. Got an sms inviting me to buy using my shell escape card. Came in a pack of 50 pc $10 vouchers, expires end Oct 2016.

According to the cashier, station discount still applies, and the $6 discount coupon for $60 as well. Obviously, credit card discount will not apply when you pay using fuel vouchers. But i forgot to ask abt the points.

Sounded gd to me, so i bought, but could only buy 1 pack of $500 though...

Turbocharged
(edited)

I bought the $500 fuel vouchers for $450. That's 10% discount. Got an sms inviting me to buy using my shell escape card. Came in a pack of 50 pc $10 vouchers, expires end Oct 2016.

According to the cashier, station discount still applies, and the $6 discount coupon for $60 as well. Obviously, credit card discount will not apply when you pay using fuel vouchers. But i forgot to ask abt the points.

Sounded gd to me, so i bought, but could only buy 1 pack of $500 though...

I also considered purchasing the pack of $500 Shell vouchers for $450 (10% discount).

But a back of the envelope calculations show it is better with the $6 discount voucher.

For example, pump $60, using $6 discount voucher:

1. 14% HSBC discount: $51.60

2. $6 discount voucher

Nett: $45.60

Using vouchers:

2. Pay with $50 vouchers (nett $45 purchase price).

Nett: $46.60

Edited by Doppel
  • Praise 1

The Shell discount is not too far away if you use UOB one card + SPC card for $60. In the end, I only pay $48 without purchasing the voucher upfront.

I also considered purchasing the pack of $500 Shell vouchers for $450 (10% discount).

But a back of the envelope calculations show it is better with the $6 discount voucher.

2. $6 discount voucher

Using vouchers:

yes using the hsbc card more worth.

so now is $45.60 nett

Turbocharged
(edited)

2. $6 discount voucher

Using vouchers:

Somebody said can stack. If can stack, it's even more worth it.

Pump $60, use $6 discount voucher

2. $6 discount voucher

Effective discount: 24%

Using vouchers pump $62:

1. 10% Shell Escape card discount: $55.8

2. $6 discount voucher

3. Pay with $50 vouchers (cost price $45)

Nett: $45

Effective discount: 27.4%

If only vouchers alone then not that worth to pump Shell (Pump $60)

1. 10% Shell Escape card discount: $54

2. Use $50 of vouchers (cost price $45)

Nett: $49

Effective discount: 18.3%

Might as well straight to SPC for 20.1% using POSB Everyday card, no need to buy any voucher or hit any min spending.

Edited by flashbang

(edited)

Using vouchers pump $62:

1. 10% Shell Escape card discount: $55.8

2. $6 discount voucher

3. Pay with $50 vouchers (cost price $45)

Nett: $45

Effective discount: 27.4%

So does it mean that if i'm using citi dividend card, on top of what you have listed i will be getting 4% citi rate and also 8% cashback in the statement. Isn't this the best combination?

or we have to use HSBC card for the vouchers u all mentioned?

Edited by Dilemma

(edited)

So does it mean that if i'm using citi dividend card, on top of what you have listed i will be getting 4% citi rate and also 8% cashback in the statement. Isn't this the best combination?

Yes Citi dividend best for shell total 20.88% all in. So no need to bother count different combination

Eg. $100 + 10% she'll escape card + 4% Citibank discount = $86 from here 8% dividend cash back is credit into your statement so total 20.88%

On pure credit card discount without discount voucher

Edited by D3badge

Turbocharged

I cannot confirm but I would think that if you are using the Shell fuel vouchers, you will not get the CC discount. Hence only 10% Escape card discount applicable.

This is different from the $6 discount voucher which can be used on top of any card discount.

Citi dividend card best for shell only if you hit the min spending of $888/month, else you won't get the additional 8% cashback.

All this over $1.20???.......

this shd be in teh SG very stressful thread.

The time arguing, limpeh aldy make $10

I realised I think less about petrol costs when I cut down on supper trips as well as telling CO any additional pounds hurts fuel economy.

Hope you guys didn't miss out on the Caltex SAFRA promo earlier in the week.

↡ Advertisement