Car shakes and coolant oozing out of expansion tank

Riverfish

Too much EO will cause your engine to overwork.

Just imagine walking thru a pool of water at ankle level and the other at knee cap level and you would get the picture. That's what your con rod is going through.

I personally know of a estima overfilled with EO and suffered engine failure that needed a overhaul.

Btw, drive a beemer and you know not that it's a standard to add 1L?

Yup, many people doesnt know that..... They doesnt know what does the "max" level mark on the oil dip stick means... simply fill and fill, thinking more is good.

The best pactice is to fill up to the level between max and min on the oil dip stick....

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

Yup. Just like many don't know the importance of bleeding when changing brake oil, or adaptation after gear oil change. Thinking X litre out, X litre in should suffice.

• Praise 1

Got the car back from workshop.  Replaced oil cooler, flushed radiator, and replaced ageing spark plugs and plug coils that caused engine misfire (and hence the shake).  

There is still oil that I can see in the expansion tank.  Monitoring the situation now and keeping my fingers crossed! 

For those who asked why I didn't check dip stick level,  there is no bloody dip stick for this car.  It is an electronic engine oil level sensor, and the computer said oil level ok when I checked it.  

• Praise 1

oil in radiator or expansion tank can only be due to

1. head gasket blow

2. cylinder head crack / warp

3. engine block crack / wrap

Got the car back from workshop.  Replaced oil cooler, flushed radiator, and replaced ageing spark plugs and plug coils that caused engine misfire (and hence the shake).  

There is still oil that I can see in the expansion tank.  Monitoring the situation now and keeping my fingers crossed! 

For those who asked why I didn't check dip stick level,  there is no bloody dip stick for this car.  It is an electronic engine oil level sensor, and the computer said oil level ok when I checked it.  

i Drive also specifically ask you to top up with 1L of EO.

The system measure EO less than the MAX but not amount that is over it.

Got the car back from workshop. Replaced oil cooler, flushed radiator, and replaced ageing spark plugs and plug coils that caused engine misfire (and hence the shake).

There is still oil that I can see in the expansion tank. Monitoring the situation now and keeping my fingers crossed!

For those who asked why I didn't check dip stick level, there is no bloody dip stick for this car. It is an electronic engine oil level sensor, and the computer said oil level ok when I checked it.

If it's your oil cooler fail and get mix with the cooler, i suggest you immediately flush your ATF now. Water in your ATF will degrade the lubrication, next to go will be your auto transmission.
↡ Advertisement