SPF advisory- Unknown missed calls, Starting with 999X XXXXX

Tigershark1976

Wow.... these scammers really going all out...

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

POLICE ADVISORY ON UNKNOWN MISSED CALLS, STARTING WITH THE NUMBERS '999X XXXX', ON MOBILE PHONES

The Police are aware that some members of the public have been receiving unknown missed calls, starting with the numbers ‘999X XXXX’, on their mobile phones. When return calls were made, these members of public would be connected to the Police emergency hotline at ‘999’ instead.

Members of the public are advised to ignore such calls from unknown origins, where Caller ID spoofing technology may be used to mask the actual phone number and display a different number.

They may call the Police hotline at 1800-255 0000 or submit information online at www.police.gov.sg/iwitness should they have any related information, and dial ‘999’ only if urgent Police assistance is required.”

source: https://www.facebook.com/singaporepoliceforce/posts/10155092714519408

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 7

Turbocharged

Ccb. who call me?

Sir, this is ma ta Chu

Fxxxk u understand, u don't come n scam me.

• Praise 2

Ccb. who call me?

Sir, this is ma ta Chu

Fxxxk u understand, u don't come n scam me.

next thing you know police are at your door [laugh]

Hypersonic

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

POLICE ADVISORY ON UNKNOWN MISSED CALLS, STARTING WITH THE NUMBERS '999X XXXX', ON MOBILE PHONES

The Police are aware that some members of the public have been receiving unknown missed calls, starting with the numbers ‘999X XXXX’, on their mobile phones. When return calls were made, these members of public would be connected to the Police emergency hotline at ‘999’ instead.

Members of the public are advised to ignore such calls from unknown origins, where Caller ID spoofing technology may be used to mask the actual phone number and display a different number.

They may call the Police hotline at 1800-255 0000 or submit information online at www.police.gov.sg/iwitness should they have any related information, and dial ‘999’ only if urgent Police assistance is required.”

Now everything is scam ... Very scary !

• Praise 2

Hypersonic

This one not scam. More like prank the police. Make them busy [laugh] [laugh]

• Praise 3

wahah... this one still need advisory...   you see number starting with 999, you know it'll connect to the police and starting with 995 will connect you to the emergency hotline for ambulance...

• Praise 1

This isn't a scam as much as it is a prank. But still, SPF will issue advisory because it overloads their systems.

Hope the prankster kena caught and punished. He / she may be blocking a real emergency call and could cost lives.

• Praise 2

I think the scammer trying to convince the victim that the number is really from SPF... Just imagine, when you have a miss call from a number and you call back to find out that its link to "999", but the operator doesnt know what is the call all about. You will be convince that this is the SPF official number. When the scammer call back again, it will make it easier for you to believe that they are from SPF and start to scam...

• Praise 12

I think the scammer trying to convince the victim that the number is really from SPF... Just imagine, when you have a miss call from a number and you call back to find out that its link to "999", but the operator doesnt know what is the call all about. You will be convince that this is the SPF official number. When the scammer call back again, it will make it easier for you to believe that they are from SPF and start to scam...

Regardless of the technology advances, the weakest link in the chain of communication is human..

• Praise 2

Hypersonic

yes. more likely to be this.

They also not so eng to prank the police.

btw, this morning, I just received a call from 911-1313-821. Didnt answer cause I was having a meeting. After checking the call log, the id shows +49....Its Germany country code if Im not wrong. Hope they will call back so that I could have some fun.

• Praise 8

Supersonic

This is no joke. A prank/hack preventing real emergencies to get true.

Imagine if a villain runs the hack b4 committing the crime, it can really stall the police.

• Praise 7

This is no joke. A prank/hack preventing real emergencies to get true.

Imagine if a villain runs the hack b4 committing the crime, it can really stall the police.

Yeah, just imagine if 1000 miss call left every min.... I cant imagine what happen to the hotline...

• Praise 7

The real question is this:

Now that SPF is being unceremoniously dragged in..... what are they going to do or what can they do about these overseas scammers?

They cannot ownself tell ownself that there is very little they can do jurisdiction-wise. So just suck it up and don't pick up calls to 999 anymore?

:D

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1