Michelin Guide Singapore

Ender

(edited)

http://news.asiaone.com/news/soshiok/michelin-guide-singapore-you-can-disagree-us

Mr Ellis also addressed the issue of having only foreigners assess Singapore food and how a non- Singaporean can understand Singapore food

"Can a Singaporean understand French, Italian, Japanese food?" he asked. "You can't say only Singaporeans understand local food.

"Wherever you are in the world, even if you're eating raw reindeer in the North Pole, it's still about product, taste and texture."

Inspectors, he said, judge eateries on five criteria: quality of ingredients; skill in their preparation and the combination of flavours; level of creativity; value for money and consistency of culinary standards.

Edited by Davidtch
↡ Advertisement

(edited)

Good food, fresh ingredients and culinary techniques and passion of the chef should be universal. In short, I dun agree Singaporeans cannot appreciate French or Jap food or vice versa. If your bak chor mee is only liked by a small group of Singaporeans only, then it is not worthy of any international recognition. But if your bak chor mee is delicious to the Japanese and ang moh inspectors such that they award you a star, then it is an accomplishment in itself. So i dun agree that ONLY Singaporeans can assess local food. In any case, if one insist only local tastebuds can be trusted, then there arw lots of local eating guides too.

Edited by Icemaiden

Hypersonic

but they have office in Singapore leh

:D

The singapur Lang brought amdk to the places to eat, amdk did the ratings

• Praise 2

Aiyo!  Yesterday I passed by the Hong Lim mee pok stall the queue was so long.  Before they were awarded, the queue was already very long.  Now lagi long.

I rather eat my favourite mee pok stall which is one block away.  [laugh]  [laugh] 

• Praise 5

Aiyo! Yesterday I passed by the Hong Lim mee pok stall the queue was so long. Before they were awarded, the queue was already very long. Now lagi long.

I rather eat my favourite mee pok stall which is one block away. [laugh][laugh]

Hong Lim BCM is not the same one that won the 1-star rating. They are however related to the Crawford one, I think. The Crawford stall even has this sign declaring they are the one and only outlet for Hill Street Tai Hwa Pork Noodle. The taste between the 2 is slightly different.

There was also a lawsuit when one of the nephews opened a Vivo city stall.

• Praise 3

Before the Michelin star grading, the 2 hawker stall already so long queue, not lagi no chance unless really prepare to queue for long time.  

Yes, prepare to queue with a full stomach. By the time it reaches you, you'll be hungry for the next meal!  :XD:

• Praise 1

Hong Lim BCM is not the same one that won the 1-star rating. They are however related to the Crawford one, I think. The Crawford stall even has this sign declaring they are the one and only outlet for Hill Street Tai Hwa Pork Noodle. The taste between the 2 is slightly different.

the western food in the same coffee shop at Tai Hwa at crawford lane also quite good, big portion value for money.

• Praise 2

the western food in the same coffee shop at Tai Hwa at crawford lane also quite good, big portion value for money.

yes, and perhaps now good time to go there and eat the western food, everyone else q for BCM  [laugh]

• Praise 1

So which is the Michelin one?  Should be the stall at Crawford right?  I see the coffeeshop featured looks the same as the Crawford branch.

Actually there's also a very nice mee pok one block away also long queue. $3 only.

• Praise 1

yes, and perhaps now good time to go there and eat the western food, everyone else q for BCM  [laugh]

provided the coffee shop is not crowded and tables all taken up by the BCM customers  [sweatdrop]

• Praise 1

So which is the Michelin one? Should be the stall at Crawford right? I see the coffeeshop featured looks the same as the Crawford branch.

Actually there's also a very nice mee pok one block away also long queue. $3 only.

Yes, the one at Crawford.

provided the coffee shop is not crowded and tables all taken up by the BCM customers [sweatdrop]

If everyone chop table and queue for an hour to get to the food, think not only other stalls not happy, the one selling drinks will also suffer. I think he owns the coffee shop, so the rest of the hawkers bobian, suffer in silent.

(edited)

actually ... should let the fine dining and hawkers at RWS win everything ... then all the people (tourists and I-like-to-take-selfie-and-blog-in-one-hour-queue locals) will go there.

only downside I see is potential spill over to Seah Imm hawker centre.

Edited by Blueray

Hypersonic

The tyre star is meant for ang mo to taste buds. From every country list, even those asian countries, majority are ang mo restaurants.

When we felt disappointed that tim ho wan or ding tai feng , didn't wow us , it doesn't matter. Ang mo say good is enough.

Probably the tai wai bcm, the star was given for a non-chilli kiddy version.

• Praise 1

The tyre star is meant for ang mo to taste buds. From every country list, even those asian countries, majority are ang mo restaurants.

When we felt disappointed that tim ho wan or ding tai feng , didn't wow us , it doesn't matter. Ang mo say good is enough.

Probably the tai wai bcm, the star was given for a non-chilli kiddy version.

But many so called Singapore foodies only enjoy their food when it comes with heaps of high quality chili in whatsoever form, chilli should be complimentary but cannot overpower the original taste of the basic ingredients.

Btw, I eat tai hwa BCM with chili as well. Lol

• Praise 1

(edited)

If you look at this positively, having Michelin Star restaurants and Michelin star eateries will help Singapore culturally because the 'ang mohs' seem to think highly of the Michelin Star system.  

So when Michelin declares Singapore a dining station and gives out all the Bib Gourmand and Michelin Stars, these 'ang mohs' media have to say it is good.  If this helps some Ang Moh foodies to take a trip to Singapore to try some of these restaurants, that also helps our tourism. 

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/07/21/foodanddrink/michelin-guide-singapore-2016/

http://www.cntraveler.com/stories/2016-07-15/singapore-is-getting-its-own-michelin-guide

http://wvtf.org/post/singapore-gets-worlds-first-michelin-star-food-stall

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/afp/article-3701734/Michelin-guide-recognises-Singapore-hawkers.html

So, even if we disagree with the Michelin Star ratings, let's recognize that it does our tourism some good 

Back to trying out Michelin Restaurants, a recent visit to Ritz Carlton, Summer Pavilion.  

We tried the Daffodil Set.  

Menu - 

1.  Summer Pavilion Platter of Four - Panfried Scallop, BBQ duck, Baked prawn, Marinated Slice Beef Shank
2. Braised Bird's Nest Soup, Crabmeat, Bamboo Piths, Pine Mushrooms
3. Sauteed Canadian Clam, Asparagus, 'Huai Shan'
4. Teochewstyle Steamed 'Soon Hock' Fish Fillet, Beancurd, Tomatoes, Salted Vegetables
5. Marinated Smoked Chicken, Chinese Tea Leaves
6.  Poached Duo of Vegetables, Superior Stock, Organic Black Garlic
7.  Braised Hong Kong noodles, Shredded Chicken, Ginger, Spring Onions
8.  Chilled Green Apple, Assorted Fungus, Almond Flakes
Edited by Boringchap
↡ Advertisement