Alfa 159 Part IX (Any Alfa discussion also welcomed)

G_mann

Neutral Newbie

Price also depends on the mileage, number of owners and current deregistration value.

Is this the 159 that you are considering? http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=635234&DL=1034

Ye, this is the car that I am considering. I have tried, the engine and clutch feels ok, but the exhaust pipe have been modified to make the engine noisier. They can trade in my one yr left Altis (2008) for $18000 (lower than market value about 3-4 k) and sell the car to me the same price as specified (69k).

I am not a specilist in Alfa romeo prices. From you guys point of view, if it worth it?

Ye, this is the car that I am considering. I have tried, the engine and clutch feels ok, but the exhaust pipe have been modified to make the engine noisier. They can trade in my one yr left Altis (2008) for $18000 (lower than market value about 3-4 k) and sell the car to me the same price as specified (69k).

I am not a specilist in Alfa romeo prices. From you guys point of view, if it worth it?

Whether the car is worth it is subjective and depends on the individual.

From the pictures, this 159 looks well maintained and the previous owner (or maybe the dealer) even refurbished the central console and steering wheel with stickers. These areas wear and scratch easily, like one around the gear shifter of this 159 here: http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info_photos.php?ID=636105&CUR=7#photo

The ICE system is also not the standard one and as you mentioned the exhaust has been modified, which means you need to produce the LTA approved cert to pass inspection.

This is my own personal experience, I bought a 5 year 9 months old 159 in 2013. I spend about 15k+ in 4 years on maintenance, 6k coming from just the selespeed actuator, which does not include replacing the clutch, accumulator and seals. From your first post, it seems that you have an Alfa 'itch' and need to 'scratch' it [laugh] but worry about the maintenance costs.

My advise to go for those registered in 2010/2009 which costs much less and in the range of about 35-45k. The money saved can be used for maintenance and after driving for a few years, you can renew the COE. Or if you don't like then you won't lose as much selling it.

Also note it's difficult (or sometimes impossible) to tell if some part is going to fail soon. For example, my 159 could not start one morning when it started with a perfect first crank the previous day, had to tow to workshop to replace starter motor. Also just driving around and the fuel pump suddenly dies (no smell of fuel detected before which usually means there's a crack in the fuel pump). That's why the advise to join AA for towing services. I have been towed several times already which I have never been on my previous rides. This is from my own experience and will differ for each person.

Don't think is a question of affordability but maybe willingness to cough out!!

Why nobody told me last time?!?!

do you spend $3k a year for maintenance?

(edited)

do you spend $3k a year for maintenance?

Maintenance + repairs + ...

My xls dun lie!!!

And this is while under warranty!!!

Edited by Theredstar

Neutral Newbie

My xls dun lie!!!

$3000 maintenance within warranty period ? I believe that under warrenty, most of the major parts(engine and gear box) should have a free repair, which part makes you spend 3000 more a year?

I notice that you mentioned that it is include maintenance+ reparirs + ......, can explain more about what are "......" refers to? Include like?

My xls dun lie!!!

A YEAR?!!!!!

wait,

remove modifications from the list....

$3000 maintenance within warranty period ? I believe that under warrenty, most of the major parts(engine and gear box) should have a free repair, which part makes you spend 3000 more a year?

I notice that you mentioned that it is include maintenance+ reparirs + ......, can explain more about what are "......" refers to? Include like?

some things are more covered than others..

and Poison cat just answered the "..." lol

but seriously

novis was a one time off

others like coils are replacement when shocks worn

GB is.... TADAH!!!.... wear and tear(!!!!!)

tyres as mentioned, every 30k on the dot

other things are like aircon spoil, leaks ah, engine mount, clutch and yes. the infamous selespeed 

and i have not included running cost like grooming, road tax and petrol hor. lol

Neutral Newbie

Whether the car is worth it is subjective and depends on the individual.

From the pictures, this 159 looks well maintained and the previous owner (or maybe the dealer) even refurbished the central console and steering wheel with stickers. These areas wear and scratch easily, like one around the gear shifter of this 159 here: http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info_photos.php?ID=636105&CUR=7#photo

The ICE system is also not the standard one and as you mentioned the exhaust has been modified, which means you need to produce the LTA approved cert to pass inspection.

This is my own personal experience, I bought a 5 year 9 months old 159 in 2013. I spend about 15k+ in 4 years on maintenance, 6k coming from just the selespeed actuator, which does not include replacing the clutch, accumulator and seals. From your first post, it seems that you have an Alfa 'itch' and need to 'scratch' it [laugh] but worry about the maintenance costs.

My advise to go for those registered in 2010/2009 which costs much less and in the range of about 35-45k. The money saved can be used for maintenance and after driving for a few years, you can renew the COE. Or if you don't like then you won't lose as much selling it.

Also note it's difficult (or sometimes impossible) to tell if some part is going to fail soon. For example, my 159 could not start one morning when it started with a perfect first crank the previous day, had to tow to workshop to replace starter motor. Also just driving around and the fuel pump suddenly dies (no smell of fuel detected before which usually means there's a crack in the fuel pump). That's why the advise to join AA for towing services. I have been towed several times already which I have never been on my previous rides. This is from my own experience and will differ for each person.

Thanks for your comprehensive reply, appreciate it very much! I can't believe that this forum have so many Alfa lovers that giving newbie useful suggestions patiently

Regarding about the price of this car, I can tell it has been overpriced quite a lot. It is a 4yr 7 months left car, supposingly, it should be priced around $55k, but they are asking it at $69k, it's a bit too much I think.

I don't know if the car condition is good deserves increase the selling price or not, may be yes, but is that devseves too much? I don't know.

Defanetly, the clutch have not been changed yet at 78000km, perhaps this is something that I should consider to change myself later if I purchase.

but seriously

novis was a one time off

other things are like aircon spoil, leaks ah, engine mount, clutch and yes. the infamous selespeed

and i have not included running cost like grooming, road tax and petrol hor. lol

Hi,

Do u mean that all these things that u have been changed are broken during the warrenty period? Perhaps within first 3-5 yrs when u purchase the car?

Thanks for your comprehensive reply, appreciate it very much! I can't believe that this forum have so many Alfa lovers that giving newbie useful suggestions patiently

Regarding about the price of this car, I can tell it has been overpriced quite a lot. It is a 4yr 7 months left car, supposingly, it should be priced around $55k, but they are asking it at $69k, it's a bit too much I think.

I don't know if the car condition is good deserves increase the selling price or not, may be yes, but is that devseves too much? I don't know.

Defanetly, the clutch have not been changed yet at 78000km, perhaps this is something that I should consider to change myself later if I purchase.

Hi,

Do u mean that all these things that u have been changed are broken during the warrenty period? Perhaps within first 3-5 yrs when u purchase the car?

As you already mentioned the car is overpriced, it probably means you had already done your sums.

Try to bargain more with the dealer and deal when you are comfortable.

Hi,

try first 1-5 yrs? lol

first to go was batt at 4 mths

bella was prolly sitting around waiting for me for a long time

warranty claim was a war of attrition

many things SE say covered turned out not true/covered
and then those that are supposed to be covered also magically become "wear and tear" item
or any mofo thing also "void warranty"

u prolly dun hv to deal with this

Neutral Newbie

try first 1-5 yrs? lol

first to go was batt at 4 mths

bella was prolly sitting around waiting for me for a long time

warranty claim was a war of attrition

many things SE say covered turned out not true/covered

and then those that are supposed to be covered also magically become "wear and tear" item

or any mofo thing also "void warranty"

u prolly dun hv to deal with this

Yeah, i think that car is not under warrently anymore.

Roughly, how much should I offer to the dealer for that Alfa please? Perhaps it will help me to have a sense

but seriously

novis was a one time off

Your Novis was free gift with purchase... dun bluff ppl ah

Your Novis was free gift with purchase... dun bluff ppl ah

Dammitz

I was hoping the episode will be lost on the newbie. Lol

↡ Advertisement