Rio 2016 Olympics/Paralympics

I think Rio will have the reputation as the worst Olympics ever.

hopefully they can make it this Saturday opening   :D

Turbocharged

Start a new thread on the upcoming event in 2016, you guys can discuss and post all the news here.

However, things don't look good for the host country with so many negatives news regarding safety, health, hygiene, etc.

I thought SG should have just pull out totally...

• Praise 1

I thought SG should have just pull out totally...

if other decided to pull out mean SG stand a better chance of getting a medal   [laugh]  [laugh]

• Praise 1

Olympics broadcast rights not that expensive also. Just a drop in the ocean compared to EPL/World Cup.

And yes most of the events are at ungodly hours, but apparently Joseph's swim finals are at 9/10am Singapore time, so actually not that bad. It's still possible for people to follow.

I think this is one of those times where we have to look beyond money, and decide what we really want for the nation. If not, the message now they're sending out is "we can't be bothered with sports unless can make money".

Sometimes it ain't just about the money. If you keep giving in whenever people increase the price, then where will it end? 

• Praise 1

it's sad for the athletes. But if it's me, i'll also say no.

The timing is already so unfavourable, wee hours of morning until morning programming.

The lack of sponsors will definitely incur a significant loss by mediacorp which has to be paid by taxpayers money.

A delayed telecast during prime hours in actual fact, is more likely to get more viewers simply by the time of the broadcast.

youtube any live telecast?

I mean if i was a female athlete, why would i want to risk zika virus?

Only traveling to the country who has the most number of people affected by zika virus.

Even if don't get pregnant subsquently, getting the risk of GBS from zika virus also is there.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

I don't know why Brazil (especially Rio) gets so much bad rep. It was a nice and generally clean city. The people were friendly and nice.

Twincharged

I do agree with you that govt should look at this beyond money esp as local sportsmen representing our country at the highest level can really unite the country and is a real community binding event if  ever there was one.

Flip side of it is that govt has so far not funded any sports live broadcast (as far as I know). EPL/World Cup is purely broadcaster commercial decision and it seems sponsors are able to cover part/most of the cost plus subscription to paid TV as well so to be fair, can't really be compared.

Maybe last min, govt can get local companies to sponsor?? Keeping my fingers crossed :a-SOS:

train for years for this moment and your family back home cannot see you perform live on TV.......... :a-bang:  :a-bang:  :a-bang:

the citizens of a country are most united when they are cheering for their sportsman/women ......patriotism,pride,unity......how do you measure such intangibles... [mad]

Edited by sake
  • Praise 1

Mugging skit at Rio opening ceremony deleted …..it would have been a world’s first!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3720565/Rio-Olympics-opening-ceremony-WON-T-Gisele-Bunchen-robbed-poor-boy-director-reveals.html

The filmmaker directing the Rio Olympics opening ceremonies is speaking out to extinguish rumors that model Gisele Bundchen will be mugged in a skit during Friday's show.

Witnesses who were present for the Sunday dress rehearsal first sparked the rumors. According to the newspaper Folha de S. Paulo, Bunchen walks out into the stadium to the tune of 'The Girl from Ipanema' before she is robbed by a black boy in 'simple clothes'. 

'The final message of this scene, however, is peace,' the article said.

Director Fernando Meirelles told the Washington Post that the scandal was all the result of a 'tremendous misunderstanding' and that the scene in question has been cut anyway for unrelated reasons.

Oops its cannot watch it live on youtube.

http://www.straitstimes.com/sport/olympics-online-report-that-singapore-can-watch-live-broadcast-on-youtube-not-true

Olympics: Online report that Singapore can watch live broadcast on YouTube not true
An article on Sports24hour claiming that the 2016 Rio Olympics will be streamed live in 64 countries on YouTube. PHOTO: SCREENGRAB FROM SPORTS24HOUR.COM
PUBLISHED
AUG 2, 2016, 11:12 AM SGT
UPDATED
AUG 3, 2016, 3:36 PM

SINGAPORE - An online report  that said Singapore is one of 64 countries which can catch the 2016 Olympics live on the International Olympic Committee (IOC) YouTube channel is not true.

A spokesman for Dentsu, the broadcast rights holder in Singapore, told The Straits Times: “There will be no live streaming on YouTube. Therefore we are encouraging Mediacorp to take up the option to add live television coverage.”

The spokesman added that any website which streams content illegally could be shut down.

The IOC did stream the 2012 London Olympics live on its YouTube channel and Singaporeans could watch it. But this arrangement will not be available this year as Dentsu has acquired the rights for all platforms here.

Last month, The Straits Times broke the news that Singapore will not be able to catch the sporting action from the Olympics live. Local broadcaster Mediacorp and Dentsu had inked a deal that includes only delayed telecasts of the sporting action.

Dentsu was awarded the 2016 Olympics' broadcast rights for 22 Asian territories, including Singapore, after an IOC tender in 2013. Singapore is the only one of the 22 not to secure live broadcast rights to the action.

A report on Sports24hour.com making its rounds on social media said Singapore is one of 64 countries which can catch the Rio de Janeiro Games live on YouTube.

The Sports24hour report does not contain any official quote from the IOC. It also appears to have reused information from an IOC press release sent before the London Games, including the fact that there would be 10 different feeds.

screen2.jpgAn article dated June 6, 2012, on the official Olympics website announcing that the International Olympic Committee will stream the 2012 London Olympics live in 64 countries on its YouTube channel. PHOTO: SCREENGRAB FROM OLYMPIC.ORG

The report said the live streams will run from 9am to 11pm London time, which is 5am to 7pm in Rio de Janeiro. This means viewers will not be able to catch events like the swimming finals, which start at 10pm in Rio and runs till about midnight.

Follow the latest Olympics 2016 news here at str.sg/olympics.

Edited by Adrianli

Reminds me of Goal 2010.......and the state of our local sleague.

Sports in singapore is pretty much dead and buried

govt talk so much abt promoting sports to the young and to render fan support to our sportsmen representing SG........ sigh

if telco have no money or refuse to pay for live telecast, it only takes 0.000000001% of our govt budget to make it happen, right?

sometimes, i become numb to whatever the top is doing.

Reminds me of Goal 2010.......and the state of our local sleague.

Sports in singapore is pretty much dead and buried

Depends what sport lah :grin:

ST_20150801_LOTTERY01_1563623.jpg?itok=9

• Praise 5