Yellowstone and Grand Teton trip

Philipkee

Currently on a road trip to the national parks in yellowstone and grand Teton. Will only be here for a few days before moving to San Francisco but I will not be driving there as opposed to driving to the national parks in USA.

Yellowstone and the old faithful geyser

Some scenery

And you don't need a big car. I got the economy kia model.

post-57859-0-60742900-1470450813_thumb.jpg

post-57859-0-39168000-1470450850_thumb.jpg

post-57859-0-75827000-1470451329_thumb.jpg

post-57859-0-33767200-1470451401_thumb.jpg

post-57859-0-92437500-1470451541_thumb.jpg

post-57859-0-20412900-1470451567_thumb.jpg

post-57859-0-67493300-1470451637_thumb.jpg

post-57859-0-70825400-1470451661_thumb.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 8

Whats an American road trip without a Mustang?

Just kidding. Great trip.  Enjoy yourself. I hope to do that some day too. And also trekking in Yellowstone.

Hi Philip, can share where is your starting/ending point of your Yellowstone trip? Is it in Salt Lake City? Have you drive before in California coastal highway 1. The scenery is beautiful. You shouldn't miss it. Have a good and safe trip.

Hi Philip, can share where is your starting/ending point of your Yellowstone trip? Is it in Salt Lake City? Have you drive before in California coastal highway 1. The scenery is beautiful. You shouldn't miss it. Have a good and safe trip.

As I prefer not to drive in USA cos it is opposite from Singapore, I minimise it. I flew to Jackson hole airport which is one of the closest airport to yellowstone. I rented the car there.

I spent the first few minutes driving around the carpark to get used to the difference in driving. After that I drove to the hostel which is about ten to twenty miles away. This familiarises me to the driving in the road in USA while only a short drive. And yes, I used GPS.

The following day I drove almost 300 miles to Yellowstone and grand Teton but you see, I have already rested well since it was the day after I landed and I have already gotten relatively used to driving opposite from Singapore.

One must be very focussed. The driving style is also different and it is something to get used to.

And no I have not gone to the California coastal highway. I am currently in San Francisco but I take the public transport and walk around.

By the way, the drive in Jackson hole and the national parks were wonderful. I might not say the same thing if I were driving in the big city, though.

• Praise 3

Supersonic

Simple rule to USA driving.

In case there's no car around to give you guidance:

1. Always keep to the right.

2. When turning right, keep right.

Enjoy your trip.

• Praise 3

Simple rule to USA driving.

In case there's no car around to give you guidance:

1. Always keep to the right.

2. When turning right, keep right.

Enjoy your trip.

Simple rule of driving anywhere, driver side is always nearer to the centre road divider.

As I prefer not to drive in USA cos it is opposite from Singapore, I minimise it. I flew to Jackson hole airport which is one of the closest airport to yellowstone. I rented the car there.

I spent the first few minutes driving around the carpark to get used to the difference in driving. After that I drove to the hostel which is about ten to twenty miles away. This familiarises me to the driving in the road in USA while only a short drive. And yes, I used GPS.

The following day I drove almost 300 miles to Yellowstone and grand Teton but you see, I have already rested well since it was the day after I landed and I have already gotten relatively used to driving opposite from Singapore.

One must be very focussed. The driving style is also different and it is something to get used to.

And no I have not gone to the California coastal highway. I am currently in San Francisco but I take the public transport and walk around.

By the way, the drive in Jackson hole and the national parks were wonderful. I might not say the same thing if I were driving in the big city, though.

I would recommend you to rent a car (time permitting) and to drive down Highway 1 all the way to Monterey or Big Sur. Beautiful and remember to detour to 16 miles drive.

• Praise 2

(edited)

Simple rule of driving anywhere, driver side is always nearer to the centre road divider.

I would recommend you to rent a car (time permitting) and to drive down Highway 1 all the way to Monterey or Big Sur. Beautiful and remember to detour to 16 miles drive.

Disagree. In Myanmar they drive on the right side of the road like USA and the steering wheel is also on the right side like in Singapore. I asked the locals there how they overtake, change lanes, is it safe they just shrug their shoulders and smile.

Haha no time for long trip. Coming back soon. During the planning stage of my trip I did plan to just buy a return ticket to san Francisco and drive from there to Yellowstone and fly back from Jackson hole with detour like you suggested. Nixed the idea cos I was not sure how easy it is to adapt to driving on the opposite side and I am alone so I am the sole driver with no navigator or backup driver

I am a chicken at times. :p

Edited by Philipkee
  • Praise 2

Disagree. In Myanmar they drive on the right side of the road like USA and the steering wheel is also on the right side like in Singapore. I asked the locals there how they overtake, change lanes, is it safe they just shrug their shoulders and smile.

Haha no time for long trip. Coming back soon. During the planning stage of my trip I did plan to just buy a return ticket to san Francisco and drive from there to Yellowstone and fly back from Jackson hole with detour like you suggested. Nixed the idea cos I was not sure how easy it is to adapt to driving on the opposite side and I am alone so I am the sole driver with no navigator or backup driver

I am a chicken at times. :p

I didn't know that but I heard foreigners can only rent a car that comes with a driver in Myanmar. Anyway, I won't dare to drive in Myanmar or in countries like Indonesia and Philippines, where my liabilities are hard to quantitfy.

So are you now more confident of left hand drive? From my experience, it is easy to drive in the States, relative to Singapore.

I didn't know that but I heard foreigners can only rent a car that comes with a driver in Myanmar. Anyway, I won't dare to drive in Myanmar or in countries like Indonesia and Philippines, where my liabilities are hard to quantitfy.

So are you now more confident of left hand drive? From my experience, it is easy to drive in the States, relative to Singapore.

No comment on the easy part since I drove in a relatively low traffic area. If I can drive in NYC, then maybe my answer change.

But yea in a way more confident as next time i will have less hesitation of renting a car in USA.

• Praise 2

Currently on a road trip to the national parks in yellowstone and grand Teton. Will only be here for a few days before moving to San Francisco but I will not be driving there as opposed to driving to the national parks in USA.

Yellowstone and the old faithful geyser

Some scenery

And you don't need a big car. I got the economy kia model.

Nice pictures.  Thanks for sharing and enjoy your trip!

came back from Yellowstone. The weather was cold as I went during the beginning of winter season. Most of the facilities in the park are closed. 

Gotten permission from Philip to post a few photos sing this thread here . 

45049227254_55748aac96_b.jpg

43955758090_69df9f6ee0_b.jpg

30833308367_e72c7a4e66_b.jpg

30833308147_55d21d0f7e_c.jpg

30833307477_6f14ff1d1c_c.jpg

44860034515_692bb58162_c.jpg

45048215704_a1e06af1e1_c.jpg

45722848992_6ce8c768d7_c.jpg

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 7

came back from Yellowstone. The weather was cold as I went during the beginning of winter season. Most of the facilities in the park are closed.

Very vivid picturesque pix ..... very much like those painted ones we see by Artists
  • Praise 4

30833308367_e72c7a4e66_b.jpg

30833308147_55d21d0f7e_c.jpg

30833307477_6f14ff1d1c_c.jpg

44860034515_692bb58162_c.jpg

45048215704_a1e06af1e1_c.jpg

45722848992_6ce8c768d7_c.jpg

Very nice photos.

• Praise 1