Feedback needed from Diesel Engine Car Owners

Frankloh

U dare to pump ah? [laugh]

I worked in the bunkering industry previously.... you don't wanna know what could be inside.

No lah

Anyhow say say only

Who dare pumps

Wait engine up lorry

Not worth the while

↡ Advertisement

need to take into account the additional diesel road tax. quite high iirc

think it's more worth for people with high mileage e.g more than 25k km a year etc.

need to take into account the additional diesel road tax. quite high iirc

think it's more worth for people with high mileage e.g more than 25k km a year etc.

https://www.lta.gov.sg/content/ltaweb/en/roads-and-motoring/owning-a-vehicle/costs-of-owning-a-vehicle/tax-structure-for-cars.html

I agree but nowadays those low CC 1.6l turbo diesel road tax is about $1.3k

for petrol its about $650 per year

for the difference is $650 in road tax but fuel savings is much more.

For my mileage of about 2400km per month.. about 240l of petrol pumped per month (60l tank), 4times a month.

Petrol:4 x $100 = $400

Diesel: Supposingly better FC so probably will only need to pump 3 x per month = $3 x $60 = $180

Every month got savings of $220

1 year got savings of $2640

wah.. actually quite alot of savings.. haha

I think dont need to clock more than 25k a year mileage also got savings.

last time based on $1.25 per cc per year, ~30k km/yr breakeven.
Now at $0.40 per cc per year, break even ~10k km/year.

• Praise 1

Correct. Most ppl still using the pre-Euro 5 figs to calculate n then pengsan for nothing. My breakeven is less than 6 mths. And I do under 18k mileage a year on my 2.2 CRDi.
  • Praise 1

diesel engine is tougher than patrol engine. due to the components used in diesel engine is more than patrol engine,

so maintenance cost is higher. need to calibrate injector during servicing to avoid black smoke. not as smooth and quiet

compare to patrol engine.

city driving, patrol is better. cross country and off road, diesel is the way to go.

I owned one patrol and one diesel suv (both are turbo charged). I like my diesel suv due to it high torque that allow me to

have some off road fun in Malaysia.

ts may wish to take note that diesel engine require a proper warm up to it operating temp.

• Praise 2

please stay with petrol and don't spoil the diesel party.

my mileage is about 20k per year and I save a few thousands on fuel every year despite the higher road tax.

• Praise 2

Need review on diesel engine?

Ask delivery lorry or van drivers that ply our road for decades.

They got no time, busy plying the road to deliver our daily needs

But hor, no 0.4cts lah. 0.8plus cts more like it. That is if register passenger, or passenger car with diesel engine

so low? I thought it was about 20k km/year currently.

i do about 11-12k km/year currently.

Looks like i can consider a diesel SUV in future.

Objectively speaking the soundproofing can't be that tok gong lah. I hear the jaguar's diesel at my child's kindy carpark. Its quite noisy.

Edited by Lala81

Same question I have in mind. Not sure these newer engines are same with those taxis and vans. They have been around for many years.

I am quite sure they will be noisy but more importantly, cost and getting pass our inspections. Diesel cars are very common in Europe.

Diesel had gained ground in the EU last decade, due to government tax incentives, a lot of biased advertising on turbo-diesel engines ... especially from a certain European automobile manufacturers and unproven (until now) sub-optimal performance of particulate matter (PM) filters in diesel cars!

FACT:

If you are in the oil & gas industry / product trading long enuf, you will note the following:

(1) in last decade, there was a net movement of ULSADO (diesel) from North America / AP into EU ... and vice versa, a countering net movement of gasoline (petrol) from the EU into North America.

Note: The USofA still stands stolidly on gasoline engine cars, like most of the rest of the world - including gasohol and LPG (e.g. South America, Australia)

(2) However, by early mid this decade, the net-import of ULSADO into the EU is fast declining and continues to decline ... and this was strongly supported by increasing sales of small-capacity, turbo-charged gasoline-engined cars in the EU, which is slowly surpassing the sale of diesel cars.

Objectively speaking the soundproofing can't be that tok gong lah. I hear the jaguar's diesel at my child's kindy carpark. Its quite noisy.

That one is outside mah... if you are the driver, no need to care. What is important is inside don't have sound like a petrol vehicle  [laugh]

For the fuel savings + mad torque, worth it!

The quietest TD i come accross is the Citroen, from the outside.

At 11-12km, though u could breakeven, i would say not recommended as TD, due to the DPF, needs some mileage w sufficient revs to keep the DPF clean. With insufficient mileage, DPF servicing, emission issues will catch up faster than usual. The cost n inconvenieces that ensues, may not make it worthwhile then.

As a min, perhaps 16-17k km mileage /yr?

• Praise 5

Volvo D2 owner here. 

• Diesel to buy is cheaper
  • Road tax is more than petrol version
  • To refill tank is much much cheaper(Less than $50 to refill my volvo)
  • One tank can bring me about 700-750km pure city driving so thats quite good as you get so much further on one tank while paying less per refill than you would in a petrol equivalent
  • Torque from the diesel is really good

To fully utilise a diesel you need to drive it very very often and clock insane mileage otherwise its simply not worth to buy a diesel.

Edited by nizmo89
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4