Lexus Nuluxe

Dna_engine

Hey guys just wondering is Lexus a good luxury brand to buy? I heard people usually go for European luxury brands such as Mercedes Benz but I think Lexus can compete with mercedes in terms of performance though. Why is Lexus so unpopular?

Lexus point of differentiation is service not performance - The Passionate Pursuit of Perfection. If performance is a priority then German cars are the way to go - The Best or Nothing (Merc), Sheer Driving Pleasure (BMW) and Advancement through Technology (Audi). Basically it is how the brands are marketed in the country. If Lexus is marketed to the masses then it will not be able to deliver that level of service - no difference with buying a Toyota. After owning a Mercedes for more than 5 years, I have to say the level of service at Lexus both pre and post sales are better. Can't comment on BMW or Audi as I have not own those before.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Some feel is a glorify toyota. The premium you need to pay is close or same as conti, therefore most will go for conti brand.

To me the material and technology used is much better than normal toyota.

So basically you will be having a premium build car at toyota reliability. As Dna_engine point out it all depend on what you are looking for in a car.

• Praise 3

to buy a car, must look at many option.

A) Are u a high mileage user?

B) Are u buying new?

C) Are the service parts cheap?

I am a high mileage user. I have enough problem driving conti car.

Stick to Jap better. Parts are cheap and easily available.

Some feel is a glorify toyota. The premium you need to pay is close or same as conti, therefore most will go for conti brand.

So basically you will be having a premium build car at toyota reliability. As Dna_engine point out it all depend on what you are looking for in a car.

I agree with u that Lexus has better build, equipment n technology than the average Toyota so worth considering but I also agree that perhaps they shld be priced just a tad lower than the top premium Contis like Benz n BMW cos after all they have a shorter history n tradition than the 2 German giants. Lexus is often priced similar to the 2 equivalent rival models n hence some buyers may think twice but u could also say Lexus has confidence that their product is as good or even better than the Germans?

• Praise 4

Lexus point of differentiation is service not performance - The Passionate Pursuit of Perfection. If performance is a priority then German cars are the way to go - The Best or Nothing (Merc), Sheer Driving Pleasure (BMW) and Advancement through Technology (Audi). Basically it is how the brands are marketed in the country. If Lexus is marketed to the masses then it will not be able to deliver that level of service - no difference with buying a Toyota. After owning a Mercedes for more than 5 years, I have to say the level of service at Lexus both pre and post sales are better. Can't comment on BMW or Audi as I have not own those before.

i dont agree that level of service is better at lexus, i owned almost all the big brands audi /mer/bmw/lexus/volvo

level of service depend very much on the person himself. the company can have check through 3rd party assessment. so far the best service i have got is from volvo followed by merc then lexus with bmw being the last and most shitty.

Nice Mitsubishi Outlander..

my boss owned this in china. i would say the quality is nice but some how it just dont give u the solid feel. especially when closing the door. typical toyota very hollow sound.

I agree with u that Lexus has better build, equipment n technology than the average Toyota so worth considering but I also agree that perhaps they shld be priced just a tad lower than the top premium Contis like Benz n BMW cos after all they have a shorter history n tradition than the 2 German giants. Lexus is often priced similar to the 2 equivalent rival models n hence some buyers may think twice but u could also say Lexus has confidence that their product is as good or even better than the Germans?

How to compare Toyota and Lexus since both marque is for different market segment?

Most of the lexus model born in Tahara plant which is comparable to BMW Munich or Dingolfing.

Toyota build good sedan in the 70s and 80s which is exported to US of A in the like of Cressida.  In order to capture premium sedan market, a new branding/product is required.  That's why Lexus is borned.  The last IL6 from Toyota/Lexus is in Altezza AS/IS200.

Lastly, Lexus is in the same market segment as BMW/Mercedes/Audi.  Why should it price lower than these 3 brands?  If you check Lexus pricing in other market, it is almost the same as comparable car of these 3 brands.

• Praise 2

How to compare Toyota and Lexus since both marque is for different market segment?

Most of the lexus model born in Tahara plant which is comparable to BMW Munich or Dingolfing.

Toyota build good sedan in the 70s and 80s which is exported to US of A in the like of Cressida.  In order to capture premium sedan market, a new branding/product is required.  That's why Lexus is borned.  The last IL6 from Toyota/Lexus is in Altezza AS/IS200.

Lastly, Lexus is in the same market segment as BMW/Mercedes/Audi.  Why should it price lower than these 3 brands?  If you check Lexus pricing in other market, it is almost the same as comparable car of these 3 brands.

I disagree with you bro..and agree with Spring. Lexus shud price down. BMW/Merdz/Audi also shud.. :a-panic:  :a-panic:

• Praise 1

1)How to compare Toyota and Lexus since both marque is for different market segment?

2)Lastly, Lexus is in the same market segment as BMW/Mercedes/Audi.  Why should it price lower than these 3 brands?  If you check Lexus pricing in other market, it is almost the same as comparable car of these 3 brands.

1) I'm just replying to @Bacteria83 post on some people perceiving Lexus to be a glorified Toyota thus I'm justifying that Lexus has better build, quality etc thus it's not a glorified Toyota as what some claim and I def know better then to compare the 2 when one is a B&B brand whilst another is a premium brand.

2) In my opinion, whilst Lexus is the same market segment as Benz and BMW, I value heritage ie tradition, history etc to have additional premium over a brand which is newer in the market. You may be willing to pay similar for Lexus over Benz and BMW but I add value to a car brand's heritage hence I feel Lexus should be priced lower. When they reach say 50 years old or so and have churned out generations of cars, then maybe they qualify to be priced same as the 2 Germans but not earlier.

• Praise 3

2) In my opinion, whilst Lexus is the same market segment as Benz and BMW, I value heritage ie tradition, history etc to have additional premium over a brand which is newer in the market. You may be willing to pay similar for Lexus over Benz and BMW but I add value to a car brand's heritage hence I feel Lexus should be priced lower. When they reach say 50 years old or so and have churned out generations of cars, then maybe they qualify to be priced same as the 2 Germans but not earlier.

Lexus inherited premium sedan segment of Toyota (Lexus, a division of Toyota) .  So, i would look at heritage ot Toyota which started in 1937.

Lexus inherited premium sedan segment of Toyota (Lexus, a division of Toyota) .  So, i would look at heritage ot Toyota which started in 1937.

I thought you just said not to compare Lexus with Toyota right? Cuts both ways, can't pick and choose when you want to compare and when you don't.

Lexus branched out from Toyota in 1989 and the first model was LS400 so that's just 27 years of history. Don't get me wrong, I feel they going places and I welcome their presence to put pressure on the other premium brands cos that's only good news for us perspective buyers but let's value the older brands for what they've achieved, my 2 cents.

• Praise 3

I thought you just said not to compare Lexus with Toyota right? Cuts both ways, can't pick and choose when you want to compare and when you don't.

Lexus branched out from Toyota in 1989 and the first model was LS400 so that's just 27 years of history. Don't get me wrong, I feel they going places and I welcome their presence to put pressure on the other premium brands cos that's only good news for us perspective buyers but let's value the older brands for what they've achieved, my 2 cents.

In term of today product lining, i will not compare Toyota and Lexus as it is for different market segment.

In term of heritage, i will not look at Lexus from 1989.  W/o good product like Toyota Cressida to built the base for Lexus, Lexus LS will not be born.

Still can't understand since Europe made got Higher chance of problematic than Asian made .... why so many buyer willingly paid premium for the so call exclusive con car ?

• Praise 1

More years of history means can justify higher price? That's a joke lah. Even merc and bmw they are still at the top only because they maintain great design, engineering and brand marketing, not because they have been around longer.

I prefer lexus because they usually more reliable and well built. But newcomers like infiniti are welcomed if they can provide similar quality and value.

More years of history means can justify higher price? That's a joke lah. Even merc and bmw they are still at the top only because they maintain great design, engineering and brand marketing, not because they have been around longer.

I prefer lexus because they usually more reliable and well built. But newcomers like infiniti are welcomed if they can provide similar quality and value.

Just to clarify, what I mean is that an experienced brand should be able to produce better cars and hence commands a premium IMO. Just like you will pay for an experienced staff over a relatively inexperienced one right?

It is precisely that they are experienced and hence able to produce better engineering, design etc as you have pointed out. I'm willing to give new kids on the block like Infiniti a chance but they have to win me over the more established brands otherwise if they are priced similarly, very unlikely I will budge and I don't think most others will buy as well. Hope this clarifies what I mean by history, cheers!

Edited by Spring
  • Praise 4

Hey guys! I've a question for the 25-35 year olds in this forum and I'm hoping you'll help me out with it! 

I was just wondering what you guys will be looking for in a luxury car brand? :)

Hey guys! I've a question for the 25-35 year olds in this forum and I'm hoping you'll help me out with it!

I was just wondering what you guys will be looking for in a luxury car brand? :)

Design, performance, handling, comfort and space.

Lexus has the design, space and comfort

Having owned lexus rx300 and rx450h, i can say that lexus is a glorified toyota at glorified price haha. U drive lexus u feel like driving a premium toyota. In some ways, the car isnt as solid as conti, engine wise its pretty good and reliable but doesnt bring out the best performance. Worse i tested new RX200 but utterly disappointed with the turbo engine.

So back to topic, i feel lexus should be priced slightly below below german competitor. I dunno why people would buy lexus but if i would, its probably the reliability and comfort that i am looking for. Service wise BM better than C&C or PML or PA

Now if hyundai comes with genesis brand, something like lexus, would u buy one if they are priced the same as german cars?

Lexus inherited premium sedan segment of Toyota (Lexus, a division of Toyota) . So, i would look at heritage ot Toyota which started in 1937.

Toyota =/ premium sedan

They are good in b&b cars not luxury. Hence lexus is indeed relatively new brand.

It is indeed

U go see harrier interior vs lexus nx, not much different in term of design. I think they come from same designer. They should build something that totally new from toyota

Oh yah in log card, its Toyota Lexus haha

• Praise 1

They are good in b&b cars not luxury. Hence lexus is indeed relatively new brand.

It is indeed

You are wrong about Toyota good in B&B cars only.

How about Toyota Crown Majesta or Toyota Crown Athlete?

What about Toyota Century?

W/o Toyota Cressida building the foundation, Lexus LS cannot start at all in US of A.

Lexus is indeed a new brand building on the foundation of Toyota Premium segment.

↡ Advertisement