Advice needed: Contractor ran off with money collected

I engaged a contractor to do some home improvement works in involving steel and glass panels. He collected down-payment and completed the steel works. Then he asked for payment in advance so that he can pay for glass panels he ordered to complete structure.

After receiving my cheque and collecting the advance money for glass, the contractor disappeared the day after. He left his tools behind at site, and has remained uncontactable ever since. Attempts to call his mobile, registered office phone went unanswered. Even my registered letters demanding refund and notice of termination bounced back.

I got another contractor to finish the job, but now I want the money I paid to original contractor in advance back. I made a Police report for fraud as the contractor took money with no intention of fulfilling the contract. After investigation, Police replied that is not criminal offence and advised me to take civil action.

What can I now do and how to go about? If I go to Small Claims tribunal, contractor will not show up. If SCT judgement is in my favour, how do I go about making him pay, when he cannot even be found and likely wont even have any money to pay. 

Any advice is appreciated.  

↡ Advertisement

There has been numerous cases of contractor/ID ran away with money.

And modus operandi all the same. Ask more money to buy material to start work. No money cannot start. And usually leave consumers with no choice or forfeit whatever downpayment they have made.

Always bear in mind, if they don't even have ready cash to buy material and start work, that smells like trouble.

Hope you get back your money TS. Another way is to share who that person is and from which company. Even his contacts too so that others will be aware.

I engaged a contractor to do some home improvement works in involving steel and glass panels. He collected down-payment and completed the steel works. Then he asked for payment in advance so that he can pay for glass panels he ordered to complete structure.

After receiving my cheque and collecting the advance money for glass, the contractor disappeared the day after. He left his tools behind at site, and has remained uncontactable ever since. Attempts to call his mobile, registered office phone went unanswered. Even my registered letters demanding refund and notice of termination bounced back.

I got another contractor to finish the job, but now I want the money I paid to original contractor in advance back. I made a Police report for fraud as the contractor took money with no intention of fulfilling the contract. After investigation, Police replied that is not criminal offence and advised me to take civil action.

What can I now do and how to go about? If I go to Small Claims tribunal, contractor will not show up. If SCT judgement is in my favour, how do I go about making him pay, when he cannot even be found and likely wont even have any money to pay. 

Any advice is appreciated.  

Best advice i can give is, go speak with your lawyer. Police now have new duties to cover contempt of court, yours is not criminal nor a statutory issue. 

• Praise 1

get a debt collector to do the job, they are as good as ah long   [thumbsup]

[laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

This is one of the options but you won't get the full amount back.

Even for small claims you have to pay a fee. So it's important to get black & white that you have paid the deposit. Use it to submit to small claims but there's a limit which is up to 10K. Anything more you will have to find yourself a lawyer.

• Praise 1

This is one of the options but you won't get the full amount back.

Even for small claims you have to pay a fee. So it's important to get black & white that you have paid the deposit. Use it to submit to small claims but there's a limit which is up to 10K. Anything more you will have to find yourself a lawyer.

if the payment is recent, they probably charge 10%-20% of amount collected, if over a longer period then they charge higher.

Small claim even you win the judgement, you may not get the money.

Thanks for the advice on appointing a debt collector. Any legal ones to recommend?

As for the contractor, I have used him before and he has been delivering the works. He did do the steel works on schedule,  so I had no reason to be suspicious that he intended to abscond. 

if the payment is recent, they probably charge 10%-20% of amount collected, if over a longer period then they charge higher.

Small claim even you win the judgement, you may not get the money.

Try lor. First try small claims, if cannot dan use debt collector.

Thanks for the advice on appointing a debt collector. Any legal ones to recommend?

As for the contractor, I have used him before and he has been delivering the works. He did do the steel works on schedule,  so I had no reason to be suspicious that he intended to abscond. 

Google lor. Dan look for reviews. [laugh]

Try lor. First try small claims, if cannot dan use debt collector.

Google lor. Dan look for reviews. [laugh]

No point to go Small Claims Tribunal.  Got judgement also not use.

Juz get debt collector to do the job.

i dun have any name but you can google and read review. I used their service before for my ex-company and quite effective for chasing payment, i some time pity the clients for getting harassed actually   [laugh]  [laugh]  

No point to go Small Claims Tribunal.  Got judgement also not use.

Juz get debt collector to do the job.

Depends. If the business is an established company, big or small, small claims works. If those up North adhoc shady contractor debt collector also no use.

Depends. If the business is an established company, big or small, small claims works. If those up North adhoc shady contractor debt collector also no use.

He already said call mobile no answer.  Still want to go Small Claims?

:a-bang:

He already said call mobile no answer.  Still want to go Small Claims?

:a-bang:

You ask me a very weird question. No pick up phone means small claims is useless?

Anyway also got to look at the sum of money deposited. If the service rendered cost more or near to what is paid dan it's not worth it. Small claims the fee is $10-$20. So have to consider what is paid and how much it cost if want to opt of other options.

Edited by Watwheels

You ask me a very weird question. No pick up phone means small claims is useless?

I did not ask you a weird question.  This is my question:

How to enforce an enforceable judgement when the contractor don't even answer phone?

I can win at Small Claims. But as his phone no longer in use, registered office closed, and even registered mail via Singpost bounced back how to serve him court papers.

If cannot serve him the court orders, how to claim back? I am also assuming that the company is bankrupt as I managed to speak to a local worker of his who left due to not being paid and confirmed the company's poor financial health.

Will debt collection agency be effective against a broke business with few assets?   

• Praise 2

Piang ah!!!!

Waste money waste time.

Face palm

Hanah hanah you win lah. Wah piang.

[hur]

I can win at Small Claims. But as his phone no longer in use, registered office closed, and even registered mail via Singpost bounced back how to serve him court papers.

If cannot serve him the court orders, how to claim back? I am also assuming that the company is bankrupt as I managed to speak to a local worker of his who left due to not being paid and confirmed the company's poor financial health.

Will debt collection agency be effective against a broke business with few assets? 

With that info. Use what also no use. Unless use PI to track him down. But also no guarantee.

↡ Advertisement