Jap vs Kor vs Conti Car Aircon

Yysiong

Hey guys,

I have tested a few car, kia caren, hyundai tucson, subaru forester, nissan x trail, toyota wish, grand piccasso, peugeot 5008, the japanese aircon is always the coldest, especially toyota.Anyone know why?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

I noticed in a 2014 Toyota Altis, the operation of the FAN is based on temperature and time. 

Whereas on a 2005 Chevrolet Optra,  it is usually temperature based. 

Perhaps another difference is that the engine bay in the Toyota is not that compact with more space.

Interesting point made by the TS. Could it be due to the type of aircon compressor used? So far, i have noticed the aircon for Toyota damn cold.

But i heard A/C man said now Conti cars also using Denso compressors.

Oh, Aircon .... I love aircon.

I think Japanese cars tend to have a range bounded in controlling temp.  You generally heard the tick-tock as the compressor is cut in and out. Simplify temp control and save fuel.  higher Temp range.  Tick tock can be more frequent resulting in wear and tear in magnetic coupler at compressor.

As for Carens, my car, Kia want a quiet car to go with its patented chained timing belt - World Engine - Theta 2L.

What they do is that the compressor with not tick tock and they regulated temp by adding heated air and external fan control.

Temp is pretty constant lor and no tick tock.  The price - Higher FC as the compressor is engaged all the time.

Hey guys,

I have tested a few car, kia caren, hyundai tucson, subaru forester, nissan x trail, toyota wish, grand piccasso, peugeot 5008, the japanese aircon is always the coldest, especially toyota.Anyone know why?

I think it's the sensors that make the difference.

Car aircon need feedback to regulate the car's interior temperature.

So there's the

1) Ambient air temp sensor (outside air temp)

2) In-car temp sensor

3) Some have fancy sunlight sensor.(usually found in conti cars)

These sensors will regulate the car's interior temperature and it will not fog/frost up the windows and windscreen unnecessarily.

I suspect Toyota make the system simple(cut cost) and only do with a in-car temp sensor and it's positioned in a far corner so the cold air will take sometime to reach it. The compressor will work very hard before it gets the feedback from the sensor. That's why ppl say cold.

A/C Compressor distributors are that few ones so the difference will be where the sensors are positioned.

• Praise 2

Oh, Aircon .... I love aircon.

I think Japanese cars tend to have a range bounded in controlling temp.  You generally heard the tick-tock as the compressor is cut in and out. Simplify temp control and save fuel.  higher Temp range.  Tick tock can be more frequent resulting in wear and tear in magnetic coupler at compressor.

As for Carens, my car, Kia want a quiet car to go with its patented chained timing belt - World Engine - Theta 2L.

What they do is that the compressor with not tick tock and they regulated temp by adding heated air and external fan control.

Temp is pretty constant lor and no tick tock.  The price - Higher FC as the compressor is engaged all the time.

AFAIK,  there are two type of compressors - fixed displacement and variable displacement.  

The tick-tock of the compressor cut in and out is associated with fixed displacement. 

For variable displacement, as it's name suggest,  is able to control the output on demand.

A study done in the US,  variable displacement vs fixed displacement,  the former is more fuel efficient. 

• Praise 2

I think it's the sensors that make the difference.

Car aircon need feedback to regulate the car's interior temperature.

So there's the

1) Ambient air temp sensor (outside air temp)

2) In-car temp sensor

3) Some have fancy sunlight sensor.(usually found in conti cars)

These sensors will regulate the car's interior temperature and it will not fog/frost up the windows and windscreen unnecessarily.

I suspect Toyota make the system simple(cut cost) and only do with a in-car temp sensor and it's positioned in a far corner so the cold air will take sometime to reach it. The compressor will work very hard before it gets the feedback from the sensor. That's why ppl say cold.

A/C Compressor distributors are that few ones so the difference will be where the sensors are positioned.

The 2014 Corolla Altis has ambient temp and light sensor. 

I think the conti ones are mixing the fresh air, thus warm air into their mix. 

those jap ones are not doing that, I maybe wrong, but I have to switch off the circulation mode everytime I switch on the aircon

I think the conti ones are mixing the fresh air, thus warm air into their mix.

those jap ones are not doing that, I maybe wrong, but I have to switch off the circulation mode everytime I switch on the aircon

The Korean cars (at least KIA and Hyundai that I'm very sure) mix their air intake to control ... in addition to a thermostat.

Don't want to have that? Then switch permanently to internal circulation.

But unlike the Germans, the last feature does not have a timeout, so will remain in internal circulation mode, for as long as it is selected.

bro how to know leak beside physically observing hose joints.? have dye mark?

agree w u. i only driven jap n korean cars. i think korean adopt conti car building method / tech, maybe even aircon temp calib - setting needs to be closed to minimum to get coldness; if set like 24-25, it's just air. i think korean calibration only warm air, normal air n cold air even there's a temp knob n thermostat..

Air cond blowing ambient air lor. No need to check where exactly leak - just send to PML.

For my case, it is the refrigerant tube behind the dash board that cracked. So all refrigerant had evaporated out.

PML had to dismantle whole dash board to replace the tubing/coil!

• Praise 1

No far enough leh, my Carens only got 1 wire control to the magnetic clutch lor.  Not likely to be a VDC lor ......

VDC got at least 2 wires lor - Clutch and Control Valve lor .....

It is said that the Carens cut off compressor at 4000 rpm or Over pressure. At 3K rpm already 120km/h, never actually reach 4k before ....... heeeeee....... 

I know as I ownself change compressor and evaporator. Already 1 over month lor, so far so good.

Carens owner, please don't bypass engine heat radiator hor, will blow mist and fog.

AFAIK,  there are two type of compressors - fixed displacement and variable displacement.  

The tick-tock of the compressor cut in and out is associated with fixed displacement. 

For variable displacement, as it's name suggest,  is able to control the output on demand.

A study done in the US,  variable displacement vs fixed displacement,  the former is more fuel efficient. 

↡ Advertisement