Melbourne: Great Ocean Rd/Mornington Peninsula/Yarra Valley

Mockngbrd

mock, sorry to hijack abit

can anyone recommend a 4-5 days self drive route for tasmania [laugh] thanks!

starting point from Hobart

going to Melbourne/Tasmania for year end trip

Edited by Wt_know
↡ Advertisement

Car rental was about $110 a day with full coverage insurance, we got a corporate rate, so we were able to get the big SUV. Airbnb a night was average around $150-$200. 

Driving in Melbourne is quite easy, not much more difficult than SG. Just have to be careful of speed limits when in the city and on highways. My friends who stay there say traffic junctions hav speed cams too. Speed limit in city generally is 40km/h, if lucky you get 50km/h. 

Out in the countryside, just be more aware of your surroundings. 

I actually gunned it in some sections of countryside and hilly roads on the return leg. (I was looking out for the speed cams on the initial drive up) but do it at your own risk. They don't play around with any allowance on speed if you get caught. 

Avoid CBD as car park is expensive.  So there is the famous hook turn, i.e. turn right from left. 

• Praise 1

4-5 days can but a little rush.  Probably can do Launceston (nearby strawberry pickings, lavender farm), Cradle Mountain, Hobart (and surrounding) and whatever along the way.

The distance between stops are only 2-3 hours, so not so bad.  I would say 7 days would be better since you made all the way there!

thanks ! unfortunately, can't stay too long due to other commitments ....

4-5 days can but a little rush.  Probably can do Launceston (nearby strawberry pickings, lavender farm), Cradle Mountain, Hobart (and surrounding) and whatever along the way.

The distance between stops are only 2-3 hours, so not so bad.  I would say 7 days would be better since you made all the way there!

If you enjoy driving, I would recommend driving up to Mount Wellington from Hobart.  After all the twists and turns (80 or 100km/h limits) you will be rewarded with a nice view.  Go up on a clear day! 

• Praise 1

there was a Tasmania thread liao lah, someone posted same question there few days ago.

Ya lor....damn confusing.

In order to turn right. U have to stay at extreme left.....lollll.

I tried once only after that I always go straight further down then do u-turn...lolll.

Nice. Did TAS and MEL a few years back. Love it. But my great ocean road trip is too rush. May go back next year to explore more.

Still confused with the keeping left on right turn in Melbourne city. Blur. [confused]

Ya lor....damn confusing.

In order to turn right. U have to stay at extreme left.....lollll.

I tried once only after that I always go straight further down then do u-turn...lolll.

Haha. I got honk once and after that i just do 3 left turns around the block. Luckily not all junctions like that. Try to siam those that have the tram tracks.

I browse on this location before.

The hotel prices is cut-throat. <_<

For that kind of price, I might as well go Switzerland. ^_^

Hmm surprised no one drives to Mt Buller? Its a ski resort, can stay overnight enjoy the view of alpine

I browse on this location before.

The hotel prices is cut-throat. <_<

For that kind of price, I might as well go Switzerland. ^_^

Since u in melbourne ald, why not go? Haha ticket to switzerland not cheap lol

Hotel price abit ex but for one night experience its ok otherwise go in the day and afternoon go back melbourne

Hmm surprised no one drives to Mt Buller? Its a ski resort, can stay overnight enjoy the view of alpine

i went there twice, one time the wind was too strong, nothing much to see and very few people up there.

i went there twice, one time the wind was too strong, nothing much to see and very few people up there.

If u know how to ski, its pretty good. When i went there theres no wind. I was lucky maybe.

Nth much to see indeed hence overnight stay or one day will do.

When i went there, there are alot of ppl, mostly locals

Since u in melbourne ald, why not go? Haha ticket to switzerland not cheap lol

Hotel price abit ex but for one night experience its ok otherwise go in the day and afternoon go back melbourne

Me and my family are going to Melbourne in mid September.

Thinking of going Mt Buller for 1 night. Checked, but quite a number of coach services are saying that since the snow season ends August, not running any service there. Any suggestions?

I might have to end up renting a vehicle to get there. Is it difficult to drive there from Melbourne CBD?

Thank you.

Thinking of going Mt Buller for 1 night. Checked, but quite a number of coach services are saying that since the snow season ends August, not running any service there. Any suggestions?

I might have to end up renting a vehicle to get there. Is it difficult to drive there from Melbourne CBD?

Thank you.

Nope its relatively easy, if i remember correctly its highway most of the times

During drive up be more careful as road abit slippery

Thank you.

Get a sim card with data plan when you arrived Melbourne, you can buy one from Optus at the airport. Then just use google map(do remember to download offline map for those area without coverage) for GPS, easy.