Need some help - what brakes are these?

RageX

Hey guys, just bought a new vehicle, and I need to find out what brakes are these. I have checked around with a number of brake workshops and they tell me that these are not original Brembos - but they do not know where they come from.

Any experts have any ideas? Thank you very much.

post-80801-0-94413700-1472551180_thumb.jpg

post-80801-0-38497400-1472551185_thumb.jpg

post-80801-0-12944100-1472551193_thumb.jpg

post-80801-0-17220700-1472551198_thumb.jpg

post-80801-0-61317100-1472551204_thumb.jpg

post-80801-0-70732100-1472551210_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lightsabre
↡ Advertisement

China loh. Although this link will say it's from Hong Kong....

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/news/a8532/what-you-need-to-know-about-counterfeit-brembo-brakes/

http://blog.axisofoversteer.com/2014/08/oh-great-fake-brembos-now.html

but we all know that the manufacturing plant must be somewhere in China.

Use them at your own risk as obviously chiong brakes pose a lot of safety risks.

Edited by Watwheels

Got many types of counterfeit, just wondering which one these are, and which workshop does it?

If its chiong brakes from China wouldn't the sg workshops not want to install, big liability problems?

China loh. Although this link will say it's from Hong Kong....

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/news/a8532/what-you-need-to-know-about-counterfeit-brembo-brakes/

http://blog.axisofoversteer.com/2014/08/oh-great-fake-brembos-now.html

but we all know that the manufacturing plant must be somewhere in China.

Use them at your own risk as obviously chiong brakes pose a lot of safety risks.

bimbo brakes

• Praise 2

Got many types of counterfeit, just wondering which one these are, and which workshop does it?

If its chiong brakes from China wouldn't the sg workshops not want to install, big liability problems?

Bro, what liability problem???  :yeah-im-not-drunk:  The only one who get in problem is you when you can't brake and your car gets into an accident... by then maybe even insurer also decline to cover you once they find out it's chiong brakes  :yeah-im-not-drunk:

Bro, what liability problem???  :yeah-im-not-drunk:  The only one who get in problem is you when you can't brake and your car gets into an accident... by then maybe even insurer also decline to cover you once they find out it's chiong brakes  :yeah-im-not-drunk:

Workshop import lousy brakes, sell to customer, collect money, fit on car... end up brakes cmi.

I have spoken to lawyers about this specific point given the potentially large sums in play and if the insurer declines a claim I can assure you from a legal point of view, even if I am not the workshop's direct customer, the workshop will be the next target  :psychotic:

Maybe in Malaysia as a business you can sell faulty and substandard products and get away with it, but it doesn't work here. So, that's the liability problem for them to sell these things  :pissed-off:

could be this one ... respray to brembo

quite popular at one time

Thanks for that! I will take a closer look. Seems that the brake shape is a bit different.

Workshop import lousy brakes, sell to customer, collect money, fit on car... end up brakes cmi.

I have spoken to lawyers about this specific point given the potentially large sums in play and if the insurer declines a claim I can assure you from a legal point of view, even if I am not the workshop's direct customer, the workshop will be the next target  :psychotic:

Maybe in Malaysia as a business you can sell faulty and substandard products and get away with it, but it doesn't work here. So, that's the liability problem for them to sell these things  :pissed-off:

Thanks for that! I will take a closer look. Seems that the brake shape is a bit different.

Not sure how that will work out in real life though. Check out this very brave bro on HWZ, who bought a car in July 2013 with tampered mileage and is still fighting the court case right now.

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/cars-cars-204/tampering-odometer-4301779.html

Yes sure you can sue, but do you have the time and money and patience like this guy?  [smash]

Though I agree the case is stronger if the workshop imported the brakes and sold them. I was thinking about the scenario where the customer bought the brakes online then bring to workshop for install only.

Not sure how that will work out in real life though. Check out this very brave bro on HWZ, who bought a car in July 2013 with tampered mileage and is still fighting the court case right now.

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/cars-cars-204/tampering-odometer-4301779.html

Yes sure you can sue, but do you have the time and money and patience like this guy?  [smash]

Though I agree the case is stronger if the workshop imported the brakes and sold them. I was thinking about the scenario where the customer bought the brakes online then bring to workshop for install only.

I have sued a used car dealer in the past over mileage tampering so I'm fully aware of the issues. In comparison a lawsuit involving defective brakes is pretty straightforward. Just have to say that you need to find the right lawyer to fight the case  :yeah-im-not-drunk:

If the customer bought the defective brakes online and brought to the workshop for install only, I will go after both the previous owner and the workshop - two targets to sue, much better than just one. E.g. workshop knowingly installs illegal and poor quality brakes on vehicle, vehicle due to said brakes kills pedestrian or passenger of another car - there is no way in hell that the workshop gets off. They will face both civil and criminal liability.

This is the liability issue that workshops face when doing stuff like this, and that's why I say most businesses that are able to open for long know how to manage these risks, and they will never do it.

Unfortunately a lot of the legal resources that I have access to are not easily available to most bros out there. That said, I suggest never giving up when faced with these unscrupulous scum - got money to buy expensive car, got money to go after scumbag dealers and workshops  :ninja:

New vehicle? Then better dun play with brakes first, since your car is still under warranty..

Not new vehicle, just trying to figure out what these brakes are. The brake workshop guys that I have spoken to say that the brakes are of decent quality, probably Taiwanese branded that has been repainted with the Brembo logo.

if you are very worry and extremely concern for safety and insurance claim for using chapalang brake

i suggest you to demod the brakes and install "original" brake ... cheap and good

then can post bimbo brake for sale ... cheap cheap ... gone in 60s ;)

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 1

Hey guys, just bought a new vehicle, and I need to find out what brakes are these. I have checked around with a number of brake workshops and they tell me that these are not original Brembos - but they do not know where they come from.

Any experts have any ideas? Thank you very much.

Ex owner also coconut buy BMW and anyhow use some odd brand brakes, should have stuck to original and buy covers. Anyway at least the disc are slotted and not crossed drilled, would be concerning if the latter.

Would advise you buy back original and install, which model is yours. Incidently I have 2 front ori brakes for f30 lol.

Edited by Mercury1

Ex owner also coconut buy BMW and anyhow use some odd brand brakes, should have stuck to original and buy covers. Anyway at least the disc are slotted and not crossed drilled, would be concerning if the latter.

Would advise you buy back original and install, which model is yours. Incidently I have 2 front ori brakes for f30 lol.

According to the workshops that I've spoken to, these Taiwanese big brakes still provide superior stopping power than the stock brakes. Previous owner probably wanted to improve the brakes but didn't want to dish out ridiculous sums for real Brembos, etc. Not too unreasonable.

Buy covers not good also, will overheat the brakes. Considering all my options now. Nope they don't fit your F30 ones lol  ^_^

Edited by RageX

I think my concern here would not be the stopping effectiveness but the provenance of the brakes & reliabilitywhich is also what your seeking. If that cannot be determined then its really on oneself if they comfortable with the assurance of the workshops to leave it as is.

As for stopping power I did fair bit of online research I would say this is debatable, bmw stock brakes are one of the best in the market the effectiveness for enhanced brakes with more pots/slotted rotors etc are mostly only evident when tracking, in fact most say changing the brake lines are more effective for stopping power. My ride came with the M perf brakes (hence the spare stock brakes) so I can't validate this but on test drives even stock brakes seem equivalent IMO, of course for the pimp factor alone is worth the upgrade.

According to the workshops that I've spoken to, these Taiwanese big brakes still provide superior stopping power than the stock brakes. Previous owner probably wanted to improve the brakes but didn't want to dish out ridiculous sums for real Brembos, etc. Not too unreasonable.

Buy covers not good also, will overheat the brakes. Considering all my options now. Nope they don't fit your F30 ones lol  ^_^

• Praise 3

I think my concern here would not be the stopping effectiveness but the provenance of the brakes & reliabilitywhich is also what your seeking. If that cannot be determined then its really on oneself if they comfortable with the assurance of the workshops to leave it as is.

As for stopping power I did fair bit of online research I would say this is debatable, bmw stock brakes are one of the best in the market the effectiveness for enhanced brakes with more pots/slotted rotors etc are mostly only evident when tracking, in fact most say changing the brake lines are more effective for stopping power. My ride came with the M perf brakes (hence the spare stock brakes) so I can't validate this but on test drives even stock brakes seem equivalent IMO, of course for the pimp factor alone is worth the upgrade.

Unless M3, bimbo brake is for aesthetic only.

Stock brake pad + Brembo rotor = superior brake performance.

No need bimbo 10 pot for E90.

• Praise 1

I think my concern here would not be the stopping effectiveness but the provenance of the brakes & reliabilitywhich is also what your seeking. If that cannot be determined then its really on oneself if they comfortable with the assurance of the workshops to leave it as is.

If a couple of reputable brake workshops have a look at the brakes and actually tell me that they are not bad, and that it is definitely better than the stock, I think its hard to ask for more. They have also passed the yearly inspections. Unless I track down the specific brand and model of it and do a lot of indepth research lol.

That said I haven't heard someone sing such high praises for BMW's stock brakes yet, but I haven't done much research. I do hear of people complaining about BMW's stock brake pads though. If the stock brakes are that good then I will go ask around the scrapyards for used calipers and the assembly. New stock rotors and pads are pretty cheap from the stockists. Mine is E85/E86 so I don't think yours will fit  [laugh]

Thanks very much for your help  [thumbsup]

Edited by RageX
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1