Maris Stella pupil, 11, dies in school bus

Yamapi

(edited)

-Boy has high fever of 41 deg last Friday, uncle brought him to see doctor

-His fever subsided on Sunday, but he is still feeling weak, so took MC on Monday

-Went to school on Tuesday as he is worried he won't be able to catch up on his schoolwork. His mom accompanied him to take the school bus that fateful morning

-Boy told a fellow student on the bus he has terrible headache and want to take a rest. He dozed off and never woke up.

-Cause of fever unknown, and his grandma said there is no sign up of mosquito bite.

http://www.zaobao.com.sg/znews/singapore/story20160831-661004

Edited by Yamapi

RIP young child. That slip into sleep made everything painless..and in a way I am glad for it.

Sincere condolences to the bereaved family. May time allow healing and all the good memories provide strength and knowledge that he was loved and now forever cherished in your hearts.

Haiz....the unpredictability of life.

• Praise 6

I think difficult to speculate. Even if febrile illnesses, the kid must have been really sick. Given he's 11 years old, he should have more reserves than say a 3 year old.

Still deemed by parents to be able to go to school? I think it's a bit odd.

Maybe an unrelated cause to the fever.

All is moot anyway. 

Strange that the adults did not noticed anything wrong that morning. Would he have been sluggish or shown signs of discomfort? [smallcry]

The Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) received a call at about 6.55am yesterday and sent an ambulance to the school.

Police received a call around the same time yesterday asking for help "at 80, Bartley Road".

UNCONSCIOUS

They found an 11-year-old boy unconscious when they arrived and he was taken to KKH, "where he was subsequently pronounced dead at about 8.46am," their spokesman said.

Seems like a pretty long time between 6.55am and 8.46am, I would have thought such things usually faster.

Seems like a pretty long time between 6.55am and 8.46am, I would have thought such things usually faster.

Maybe nv die straight away/

Actually, is it possible for ambulance staff to pronounce someone dead?

Hypersonic

-Boy has high fever of 41 deg last Friday, uncle brought him to see doctor

-His fever subsided on Sunday, but he is still feeling weak, so took MC on Monday

-Went to school on Tuesday as he is worried he won't be able to catch up on his schoolwork. His mom accompanied him to take the school bus that fateful morning

-Boy told a fellow student on the bus he has terrible headache and want to take a rest. He dozed off and never woke up.

-Cause of fever unknown, and his grandma said there is no sign up of mosquito bite.

http://www.zaobao.com.sg/znews/singapore/story20160831-661004

Reading this news is so heart breaking. One of my sons is also 11 years old.... Really, really pain when I read the article. I hope the parents can pull through... ...

• Praise 9

I think difficult to speculate. Even if febrile illnesses, the kid must have been really sick. Given he's 11 years old, he should have more reserves than say a 3 year old.

Still deemed by parents to be able to go to school? I think it's a bit odd.

Maybe an unrelated cause to the fever.

All is moot anyway. 

As a parent of young kids, I'm deeply concern what are the signs that parent should take note of. Most of the time the doc will say, if one week fever haven't subside come and see the doc again. But in this case, the boy didn't have one week.  Is 41 degree and severe headache a indicator that the child has to be warded for observation? Looking for something of a best practice for parent in such situation.

Edited by Ender
  • Praise 3

As a parent of young kids, I'm deeply concern what are the signs that parent should take note of. Most of the time the doc will say, if one week fever haven't subside come and see the doc again. But in this case, the boy didn't have one week. Is 41 degree and severe headache a indicator that the child has to be warded for observation? Looking for something of a best practice for parent in such situation.

My pediatrician always says for children dont look at how high the fever is. More important is their behaviour. If they are alert and playing even with a high fever, they are ok.

But if they are listless , regardless of the temperature then there should be cause for concern

• Praise 3

totally sympathized the parents, confirm heartbreaking. If me, I'll be devastated and lose a big part of me. Doubt I'll ever recover fully  

No parent should ever have to bury their child  [bigcry]

• Praise 4

As a parent of young kids, I'm deeply concern what are the signs that parent should take note of. Most of the time the doc will say, if one week fever haven't subside come and see the doc again. But in this case, the boy didn't have one week.  Is 41 degree and severe headache a indicator that the child has to be warded for observation? Looking for something of a best practice for parent in such situation.

Temperature >41 degree is one of the considerations for admission for fever at KK.

• Praise 3

I think high fever without the usual flu symptoms suggest some other virus infection, dengue or otherwise. Many here can advice. @Lala81, @Turboflat4, @Radx.

I had dengue, and I did not have any visible dengue symptoms until the blood test.

I remember when I had suspected dengue ... The doctor said there was no standard test except to monitor the blood count and have good diet too and rest and water ; in fact it was a very strange kind of fever and no coughing and runny nose or phlegm unlike normal flu which like i get standard once a year somehow; some more had to go to polyclinic for blood test everyday for like 8 days .... Damn tiring but feel good when the blood count was in my favor Edited by BanCoe
  • Praise 2

I think high fever without the usual flu symptoms suggest some other virus infection, dengue or otherwise. Many here can advice. 

I had dengue, and I did not have any visible dengue symptoms until the blood test.

my guess for this kid is myocarditis.  

Your dengue could have been in the incubatory period thus no S/s yet

@vratenza can weigh in on this

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1