Maris Stella pupil, 11, dies in school bus

Yamapi

yes the certified SCDF ambulance paramedic can.

Maybe nv die straight away/

Actually, is it possible for ambulance staff to pronounce someone dead?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Your dengue episode must have been quite some time back.

There is dengue serology testing available now, turnaround time only 1-2 days max. Of course it adds to the cost.

Most times with all the plethora of classic dengue symptoms, there are no real need to be so definitive in a serological diagnosis. To the patient it does not affect his management. It is more for the community when the result is gathered by the MOH epidemiological team.

I remember when I had suspected dengue ... The doctor said there was no standard test except to monitor the blood count and have good diet too and rest and water ; in fact it was a very strange kind of fever and no coughing and runny nose or phlegm unlike normal flu which like i get standard once a year somehow; some more had to go to polyclinic for blood test everyday for like 8 days .... Damn tiring but feel good when the blood count was in my favor

• Praise 1

Seems like a pretty long time between 6.55am and 8.46am, I would have thought such things usually faster.

A lot of people might not know.

Call of ambulance to paramedic arrival at to boyou side to any CPR to transfer back to ambulance to arrival to hospital is at least halfor an hour.

Add another hour if resuscitative efforts.

Adear another half an hour to call off all efforts and get a flat line on a strip because no flat line= no probounce mentioned of death.

Based on experience as nurse. Usually decision to stop resuscitating is about half an hour but this is about child and depending on how many drugs were used, getting the flat line can be long.

So it seems the timing is long but it is about right. Plus or minus here and there.

Edited by Philipkee
  • Praise 11

So sad de [bigcry]

11yr old n only child, must be very tough on his parents

Definitely...

The maternal grandmother sounds like close to him. Will likely be devoted too...

That's my son school and we were in shock when we heard the news in that morning. let's pray for the parents in this very difficult time and give them peace. Our heart are crying in agony.

• Praise 4

Your dengue episode must have been quite some time back.

There is dengue serology testing available now, turnaround time only 1-2 days max. Of course it adds to the cost.

Most times with all the plethora of classic dengue symptoms, there are no real need to be so definitive in a serological diagnosis. To the patient it does not affect his management. It is more for the community when the result is gathered by the MOH epidemiological team.

Not sure leh... mine happened only about 6 months back .... i went to Polyclinic.... it was only confirmed like only 4 days after I first went there. Maybe govt. klinic chip chip budget  one in my case [bigcry]  Poke poke my blood   [nosebleed] every day for results on blood count    

Not sure leh... mine happened only about 6 months back .... i went to Polyclinic.... it was only confirmed like only 4 days after I first went there. Maybe govt. klinic chip chip budget  one in my case [bigcry]  Poke poke my blood   [nosebleed] every day for results on blood count    

you too old..no more blood :a-happy:

• Praise 1

IMO, any young child with fever 40 and above should go hospital already.

As a parent of young kids, I'm deeply concern what are the signs that parent should take note of. Most of the time the doc will say, if one week fever haven't subside come and see the doc again. But in this case, the boy didn't have one week.  Is 41 degree and severe headache a indicator that the child has to be warded for observation? Looking for something of a best practice for parent in such situation.

But if too high also need immediate treatment.

My pediatrician always says for children dont look at how high the fever is. More important is their behaviour. If they are alert and playing even with a high fever, they are ok.

But if they are listless , regardless of the temperature then there should be cause for concern

http://www.tnp.sg/news/singapore-news/maris-stella-boy-who-died-had-no-health-problems-says-mum?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#link_time=1472691779

MOTHER OF PRIMARY 5 PUPIL WHO DIED IN SCHOOL BUS DISTRAUGHT OVER MYSTERY OF SON'S DEATH

Sep 1, 2016 6:00am

He was a generous boy who loved to help others in need.

Zenneth Hue Yee Hon, 11, was also mature for his age and liked mingling with the elderly.

The Primary 5 pupil at Maris Stella High School died suddenly on Tuesday after he was found unconscious in the school bus.

He had been unwell over the weekend and did not attend school on Monday, but the cause of death is still unknown.

Yesterday, his mother Jennifer Lim recalled that about a week ago, Zenneth had repeatedly reminded her to be a good daughter to her mother.

She told The New Paper: "After I had a minor disagreement with my mother, he told me, 'Please be more filial to grandma, don't argue with her, take good care of her'."

NP_20160901_SQBOY01_1372448.jpg?itok=VzR

GRIEVING: Madam Jennifer Lim (in black) and Zenneth's grandmother, Madam Swee (in stripes), burst into tears when they saw Zenneth's casket. TNP PHOTO: CHOO CHWEE HUA 

While the boy had often shown empathy for the elderly, Madam Lim still found his words odd.
"He had never said such things before," she said.

Heaving a sigh, a teary-eyed Madam Lim, who is in her 40s, then added: "I think I know why he kept reminding me to be more filial to my mother. Maybe he knew he would be leaving us soon."

Madam Lim, who works in the health industry, said Zenneth, an only child, started feeling unwell in school on Friday morning.

NP_20160901_SQBOY01-CZU_1372462.jpg?itok

GRIEVING: Zenneth's father, Mr Hue, comforting his wife. TNP PHOTO: CHOO CHWEE HUA

The school called her and Madam Lim told Zenneth to phone her brother, who then picked up his nephew and took him back to his Woodleigh condominium home.

Later that day, Madam Lim took her son to a clinic and found that he had a high fever. His body temperature was 41 deg C.

He was given medication and spent Saturday resting at home.

As he was still feverish on Sunday, his father decided to take him to another doctor at a different clinic.

Zenneth felt much better after taking the medicine given by the second doctor, and his body temperature returned to normal.

He did not go to school on Monday, and was in the school bus on the way to school the next morning when he lost consciousness.

TRIED TO WAKE UP

The bus driver thought the boy was asleep and tried to wake him up. When Zenneth did not respond, the Singapore Civil Defence Force was notified at around 6.55am.

An ambulance took him to KK Women's and Children's Hospital (KKH), where he was pronounced dead about two hours later.

Correcting TNP's report yesterday that said she and her husband were overseas at the time, Madam Lim said she was at home getting ready for work when she received a phone call about Zenneth.

"I immediately rushed down to the hospital. I was shocked. Zenneth was healthy and had no pre-existing health problems," she said.

Her mother, who wanted to be known only as Madam Swee, 64, told TNP she was at work at a Serangoon Gardens coffee shop when Zenneth's godfather rushed in to tell her that the boy was in KKH.

Madam Swee, who also has a 10-year-old granddaughter, took a taxi there only to find out that Zenneth had died.

With tears welling in her eyes, she said in Mandarin: "My daughter was so consumed by grief that she could barely stand up.

"Nurses shook their heads sadly when they saw me, and said the medical team had tried their best, but failed to save my grandson."

When TNP visted Zenneth's wake at the void deck of Block 411, Serangoon Central, yesterday afternoon, his loved ones had gathered to await the arrival of his body.

When the body arrived at around 3pm, they burst into tears while standing near his casket.

NP_20160901_CHZIKA01-T74_1372450.jpg?ito

GRIEVING: Zenneth's family members at his wake yesterday at Serangoon Central. TNP PHOTO: CHOO CHWEE HUA 

Madam Swee said she will always remember Zenneth as a loving boy who enjoyed eating chee cheong fun and xiao long bao (steamed pork dumplings).

"Whenever he saw old people selling tissue paper, he would insist on buying some just to help them," she said.

"And every Mother's Day, he would give cards and gifts to both his mother and me."

Zenneth's maternal uncle, who lives with Zenneth's family, said he will miss his nephew.

The driver in his 40s, who wanted to be known only as Mr Lim, said: "Similarly, on Father's Day, he would make cards for both his father and me. He was a very generous boy."

Zenneth will be cremated today.

Police are investigating the unnatural death.

- See more at: http://www.tnp.sg/news/singapore-news/maris-stella-boy-who-died-had-no-health-problems-says-mum?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#link_time=1472691779

Edited by Lala81

The dengue tests are only likely to turn postitive from D4-D7 of the illness onwards. I don't usually bother testing before that.

Sometimes it takes some time to confirm the diagnosis.

• Praise 1

Base on date of death and address in woodlegh, likely the same boy. Cause dengue. If detected should be hospitalised is it?

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/11-year-old-boy-dies-from-dengue-in-singapore/3198266.html

11-year-old boy dies from dengue in Singapore

Posted 11 Oct 2016 23:27 Updated 11 Oct 2016 23:44

ENLARGECAPTION

4293 Email More

SINGAPORE: An 11-year-old Singaporean boy died from dengue on Aug 30, the Ministry of Health (MOH) and National Environment Agency (NEA) announced on Tuesday (Oct 11).

He died the same day he was admitted to KK Women’s and Children’s Hospital, they said in a joint news release. MOH said it was informed of the cause of death in a coroner’s report on Tuesday.

The patient lived at Woodleigh Close, an active two-case dengue cluster, which was reported on Sep 6, but no mosquito breeding was detected there, NEA said. The cluster was closed on Sep 14.

This is the eighth fatality from dengue in Singapore this year.

- CNA/ly

Hmm. Bit unusual. Hope this brings some closure to the family

According to expers is rare for fatalitiy with 11 years old. But I think children are still vulnerable. And in this case, the virus was quick, I recall was it 4 days since his reported fever.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/health/death-of-11-year-old-from-dengue-is-rare-experts

Death of 11-year-old from dengue is rare: Experts

Children with healthy immune systems usually recover, they say

The death of an 11-year-old of dengue in August was a rare case, said experts. Children, especially if they have healthy immune systems, usually survive the disease.

Still, they advised parents to take their children to the doctor early if they exhibit dengue symptoms, which include fever, joint and muscle pains, nausea and rashes.

On Tuesday, the Ministry of Health (MOH) revealed that an 11-year-old boy who lived in Woodleigh Close, off Upper Serangoon Road, was admitted to KK Women's and Children's Hospital on Aug 30 and died that day.

Of the other seven dengue deaths this year, six involved people in their 60s or 70s, and the remaining case involved a 47-year-old man.

The mosquito-borne dengue viral infection that causes a flu-like illness can sometimes develop into the potentially lethal severe dengue.

Infectious diseases expert Leong Hoe Nam, from Mount Elizabeth Novena Hospital, said dengue deaths in children are less common here because of how easy it is to get to a hospital. "Children lose liquids very fast because of their smaller size and weaker constitution," he said. "In Singapore, this (problem) is negated because of easy access to hospitals."

In comparison, the elderly are more likely to have chronic medical conditions that make it harder to fight off the disease. "All people get lower immunity as they get older," said dengue expert Tikki Pang, a visiting professor at the Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy.

MOH revealed the boy's death after a pathologist confirmed on Tuesday what caused it.

"Although uncommon, there have been previous cases of children aged 12 and below passing away due to dengue," said an MOH spokesman without giving details.

Professor Pang said the public should not be overly worried.

"Out of a hundred people who get dengue, only one or two will get severe dengue," he said. Less than 1 per cent of this group die.

There have been 12,187 dengue cases so far this year, with 23 cases of severe dengue reported as of last Saturday.

"Persons showing symptoms suggestive of dengue should see a doctor early for assessment," said MOH yesterday. It added that the public should take precautions against mosquito bites, and continue to stamp out breeding spots.

People living along Woodleigh Close said mosquitoes are not an issue, with condominium residents adding that their estate is fogged regularly. Condo resident Ryan Hong, 53, does his best to ensure there is no standing water in his home. "I make sure my area is controlled to the best of my ability," said the chef.

Probably blood palette count falls too low and the risk of heart attack or stroke went up. Only a blood test can determine the blood palette count.

I kenna dengue before at 18yo. I had rashes from the mosquito bite and later spread to my limbs, not a good sign. Back dan the neighbourhood clinic takes 1 or 2 days to get back the blood test result, it's too slow. My fever was persistent for a few days liao so I bo chap the clinic and went to sgh. They warded me and did more blood test. They said my blood palette count is lower dan average, need to monitor. I was on the drip for 4-5 days and not allowed to get out of the hospital bed. Only when my blood palette go up dan they release me and let me go home to rest.

There are 4 types of dengue so you won't know how your body will react to each of them. Hospitals have better lab facilities and can get results quickly. So if you have the symptoms go straight to the hospital. Like for this boy's case they got to know about it too late from the neighbourhood clinic. You got to understand they have send the blood sample to the nearby polyclinic or hospital to test it in the lab.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 3

Sad hearing about this again.

Mosquitoes are reasons for a few terrible diseases: Malaria, Dengue, Zika, and others.

The world spends so much $$ on inventing the next smart phone, supercar, spaceship, etc... can start putting some money and efforts into researching how to get rid of mozzies for good or not???

If it is the same boy, they probably left it too late to realise that the boy could have gotten dengue.

By then, too late already.

Base on date of death and address in woodlegh, likely the same boy. Cause dengue. If detected should be hospitalised is it?
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/11-year-old-boy-dies-from-dengue-in-singapore/3198266.html

Probably blood palette count falls too low and the risk of heart attack or stroke went up. Only a blood test can determine the blood palette count.

I kenna dengue before at 18yo. I had rashes from the mosquito bite and later spread to my limbs, not a good sign. Back dan the neighbourhood clinic takes 1 or 2 days to get back the blood test result, it's too slow. My fever was persistent for a few days liao so I bo chap the clinic and went to sgh. They warded me and did more blood test. They said my blood palette count is lower dan average, need to monitor. I was on the drip for 4-5 days and not allowed to get out of the hospital bed. Only when my blood palette go up dan they release me and let me go home to rest.

There are 4 types of dengue so you won't know how your body will react to each of them. Hospitals have better lab facilities and can get results quickly. So if you have the symptoms go straight to the hospital. Like for this boy's case they got to know about it too late from the neighbourhood clinic. You got to understand they have send the blood sample to the nearby polyclinic or hospital to test it in the lab.

I believe if you find anything not right on your body,  no need to think so much and just go straight to A&E, be it private or govt. Even ultimately nothing serious. Going to GP sometime is wasting time if the doctor is not skillful and attentive enough.

↡ Advertisement