Fitting Wider Tyres

haronkr

A good rule to follow is change all or change none.

So either stick with all stock, else change both rims and tyres. Don't do half past six, keep rims and change tyres.

Wider tyres may not fit on your rims, do check the guidelines. Yours is currently 215 so likely your rims are 17x7. To go up to 235 recommended you use 8 inch rims, min 7.5

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Do not, I repeat, do not use wider tyres n bigger rims unless yr car has sufficient torque. wider means more rubber touching the tarmac, and increases FC, road noise, slower, difficulty in revving. Some cases, tyre may even hit the inner fenders(front tyre) when you steer.

Wider tyres only can feel the benefit of stability if u drive like 150kph or above, where that extra cm helps. If u dont drive up north, forget it.

Just follow maufacturer specs. Been there done that.

It's so amazing to see 1.2 turbo and 1.5NA with 18",19" & 20" tyres.. Super cool looking

Bro you asked same question in QQ chat.

I am one of the QQ change to 235/55x17 and it is totally fine. Some more the diameter of this size is same as 215 so it wouldn't affect the speedo reading.

Hi Bro Marcostan

Saw your comment on changing from 215/60x17 to 235/55X17. 

I am thinking of doing the reverse of 215/65/16 (assuming there is compatible tyre specs). 

Reason being I want an even more comfortable ride and FC. 

Do you think my direction is correct or way-off?

Thanks! 

Hi Bro Marcostan

Saw your comment on changing from 215/60x17 to 235/55X17. 

I am thinking of doing the reverse of 215/65/16 (assuming there is compatible tyre specs). 

Reason being I want an even more comfortable ride and FC. 

Do you think my direction is correct or way-off?

Thanks! 

Hi,

There are 2 questions regarding you downgrade to 16" rim.

1. In order to downgrade to 16 you need to buy new rim

2. How much cost you for a set of 16 tires.

If you looking for more comfort ride, why not consider change to Bilstein suspension and it only cost you around S$1500 and I can tell you the ride sure more comfort than the stock setup.

From 17 to 16 it wouldn't improve FC a lot.

From 60 to 65 profile you also cannot notice the improvement of comfort.

Just my 2 cents.

Thank you bro

As I drive QQ 1.2L, it is torsion beam at the rear. Not sure how much Bilstein suspension could improve the ride.

Hence, exploring changing tyres. 

But totally agree with you. I would need to change rim at the same time. expensive but may not achieve much improvement too. .

#stuck# #noob#

Hi,

There are 2 questions regarding you downgrade to 16" rim.

1. In order to downgrade to 16 you need to buy new rim

2. How much cost you for a set of 16 tires.

If you looking for more comfort ride, why not consider change to Bilstein suspension and it only cost you around S$1500 and I can tell you the ride sure more comfort than the stock setup.

From 17 to 16 it wouldn't improve FC a lot.
From 60 to 65 profile you also cannot notice the improvement of comfort.

Just my 2 cents.

Thank you bro

As I drive QQ 1.2L, it is torsion beam at the rear. Not sure how much Bilstein suspension could improve the ride.

Hence, exploring changing tyres. 

But totally agree with you. I would need to change rim at the same time. expensive but may not achieve much improvement too. .

#stuck# #noob#

Bro,

First I change to Michelin Primacy 3ST before my Bilstein arrive and the new Primacy already let me feel the ride less bumpy.

Our Conti tires are way too hard and only the brand name is famous but the tire are suck.

Then after installed the bilstein the whole ride character become even much much better than original setup.

These are my own experience.  It did test by few ppl who own QQ and hv same feeling.

Regards  

Hi Bro

gam xia, didnt know you are also on QQ ride!

definitely looking at changing the brake pad together with the tyres. 

have been spending some $$$ lately, will probably defer the suspension to a later date. 

2 more questions:

- difference between Primacy 3 ST Vs Latitude Tour HP

- any reliable place to change the tyres

Bro,

First I change to Michelin Primacy 3ST before my Bilstein arrive and the new Primacy already let me feel the ride less bumpy.
Our Conti tires are way too hard and only the brand name is famous but the tire are suck.

Then after installed the bilstein the whole ride character become even much much better than original setup.

These are my own experience.  It did test by few ppl who own QQ and hv same feeling.

Regards  

ya correct .

using wider tyres dun mean more contact surface , or more grip.

it only change pattern of the contact surface. example. rectangular to square. or to rectangular another direction.

wat it does improve is the corner stability. cos of the width .

but the result of lower profile tyres mean a more bouncy ride. more often then not. it decrease the grip, instead of improveing it.

f1 is a great example. see their tyres where got low profile. ( they still testing)

if talking about grip, low profile mean more 'chio' , nothing else.

Thanks for sharing. I was told wider tyre provides bigger contact surface, therefore shorter break distance.

My current tyres are Goodyear EfficientGrip 205/60/16 on BMW 216D. The manufacture recommendations are 205/60/16, 205/55/17, 225/45/18,225/40/19. If my primary target is better brake performance, plus better stability if possible, is it worth to spend about $2k (before trade in) to upgrade to 225/45/18?  I was told to stick with manufacturer tyre specs, so should not consider 225/xx/16 tyres.

Hope to get advice from experts here.

Thanks for sharing. I was told wider tyre provides bigger contact surface, therefore shorter break distance.

My current tyres are Goodyear EfficientGrip 205/60/16 on BMW 216D. The manufacture recommendations are 205/60/16, 205/55/17, 225/45/18,225/40/19. If my primary target is better brake performance, plus better stability if possible, is it worth to spend about $2k (before trade in) to upgrade to 225/45/18?  I was told to stick with manufacturer tyre specs, so should not consider 225/xx/16 tyres.

Firstly, if you buy an MPV, why bother with 18 or 19 inch low profile tyres.  Your passengers barntark will hurt everytime you go over a hump.  I see a lot of those squarish looking large MPVs with big rims, whatever for. 

If I had your car, I would stick to 16 or at most go to 17.  What improves braking is a good tyre that has a shorter stopping distance.  Your car comes with RFTs, and I can bet my 2 rambutans that if you next change to Michelin PS4 or Continental CSC 5 or 6 non-RFT, you will improve braking.

Yes wider tyres does in a way helps with stability at high speed.  I have driven a 320i on 205/55/16 and also on 235/35/19.  The 16s are a little less steady but only when you run up to 150 kmh and above.  The 19s makes the car more stable at the same speeds, but is far less comfortable.

Wider tyres are usually put onto sports cars or high performance cars with strong torque, where comfort is not the main reason.  Porsches for example have very wide tyres for that needed grip because the BHP/NM are very high.  RWD cars with high torque, need even a wider tyre at the rear to absorb n make good use of the high torque to launch the car forward.

So for MPV, I say, stay simple.  Just get a set of good tyres.

Edited by Ahbengdriver

wellsaid ahbengdriver

it is truth that since you are on MPV , is a family car that allows for family and comfort ,Safety is number 1 ?

the 16icn from BMW is already good enough for daily driving

if you want to improve little go for 17inch.

Please upsize your wheel and tires the better Quality or rather stick with your current stock

can see some upsize but went for the look and save money on Quality.

stay with your run flat tire if you can

Don't waste money lah.  The rim wide is 7 inch.  So, definitely can fit up to 225.

Juz change the tyre to 225/55 16.  Michelin Primacy 3, Michelin Pilot Sport 3

Firstly, if you buy an MPV, why bother with 18 or 19 inch low profile tyres.  Your passengers barntark will hurt everytime you go over a hump.  I see a lot of those squarish looking large MPVs with big rims, whatever for. 

If I had your car, I would stick to 16 or at most go to 17.  What improves braking is a good tyre that has a shorter stopping distance.  Your car comes with RFTs, and I can bet my 2 rambutans that if you next change to Michelin PS4 or Continental CSC 5 or 6 non-RFT, you will improve braking.

Yes wider tyres does in a way helps with stability at high speed.  I have driven a 320i on 205/55/16 and also on 235/35/19.  The 16s are a little less steady but only when you run up to 150 kmh and above.  The 19s makes the car more stable at the same speeds, but is far less comfortable.

Wider tyres are usually put onto sports cars or high performance cars with strong torque, where comfort is not the main reason.  Porsches for example have very wide tyres for that needed grip because the BHP/NM are very high.  RWD cars with high torque, need even a wider tyre at the rear to absorb n make good use of the high torque to launch the car forward.

My previous E39 uses 225/55 16.  No issue with high speed stablity le.

For E90, actually can use 225/50 16.

Edited by Davidtch

Thanks for Ahbengdriver's advice.

Just want to clarify that wider tyre does not really improve the braking, and tyre quality is more important?

wellsaid ahbengdriver

it is truth that since you are on MPV , is a family car that allows for family and comfort ,Safety is number 1 ?

the 16icn from BMW is already good enough for daily driving

if you want to improve little go for 17inch.

Please upsize your wheel and tires the better Quality or rather stick with your current stock

can see some upsize but went for the look and save money on Quality.

stay with your run flat tire if you can

Thanks. Considering to upgrade tyre and rim because i was told wider tyre can have better braking and my car manufacturing recommendation for wider tyre requires 18 rim. If wider tyre does not provide better breaking, I am not keen on rim upgrade and rather use better tyre in next change.

Don't waste money lah.  The rim wide is 7 inch.  So, definitely can fit up to 225.

Juz change the tyre to 225/55 16.  Michelin Primacy 3, Michelin Pilot Sport 3

My previous E39 uses 225/55 16.  No issue with high speed stablity le.

For E90, actually can use 225/50 16.

Just curious, how to check specs of current rim? dont know the brand or model. It is a BMW SG stock one.

Just curious, how to check specs of current rim? dont know the brand or model. It is a BMW SG stock one.

I found it in PML portal.

If not, juz go realoem.com

Thanks for Ahbengdriver's advice.

Just want to clarify that wider tyre does not really improve the braking, and tyre quality is more important?

Yes, tyre quality.

If I had your car, I would use either Michelin PS4 or GY Eagle F1 A3. 

↡ Advertisement