New Tucson turbocharged 1.6-litre in SG 4Q of 2016

Help1

I find Subaru's interior design is too utilitarian and "workmanlike". Some like this however, and it is mostly comprised of square shapes for a coherent and inoffensive look.

Subaru does get modernity points for the use of dual screens (they are the only one with this extra screen on the top of dash), but Mazda definitely has the lead for class and overall aesthetic style.

I remember Q50 also has a dual screen. But subaru exterior design quite boxy, it's an acquired taste. Nowadays I starting to find that Vezel can look good with some small mods eg nicer rims. Stock one still not nice 

↡ Advertisement

I find Subaru's interior design is too utilitarian and "workmanlike". Some like this however, and it is mostly comprised of square shapes for a coherent and inoffensive look.

Subaru does get modernity points for the use of dual screens (they are the only one with this extra screen on the top of dash), but Mazda definitely has the lead for class and overall aesthetic style.

Accord has also.

Top one is just display though. Bottom touch screen.

Turbocharged

Accord has also.

Top one is just display though. Bottom touch screen.

I refer specifically to how Subaru has their small one on the dashboard top end, whereas both the Infiniti and Honda implementations are center stack.

The Tucson 7 Speed DCT is dry clutch. Read some reviews, not bad should be quite fun but good luck.

For CVT..... it's about smooth and efficient rather then fun and fast respond.

Thats the downfall of Subaru, who wants a WRX with CVT? Answer is on the road, I see more Ferrari than WRX. Only Forester is selling well because its cheap and spacious with enough power.

Almost all Toyota models use CVT, smooth but boring. Wondering why only Lexus entry level uses it but not the rest?

If i was looking for a sub $150k car now, i would seriously consider a WRX but might settle for the levorg .....but i more likely to end up with an Ionic mid next year if they bring in the plug in hybrid...

Good spot on!

I believe the civic is more than just a standard 2.0 specification as there is twin exhaust (big one) on each side of the car and probably with CAI done, bit and pieces to increase HP. Maybe even have turbocharger though unlikely. Don't think it is type R as there is no red badge.

My car kerb weight is not more than 1400kg so it is relatively light too. Not sure how heavy the car is but definitely, civic has slight edge over my car. But when i was behind him, he couldn't pull away much from me either.... hahaha

Maybe I should just keep the gear at 4th or 5th and try.

Anyway, this is just kopi talk, not to induce racing or promote dangerous driving.

I agreed gear ratio may help but the car HP, torque and overall weight (Including number of passengers) play a part too.

Having a good gear does not mean it will pickup fast. A normal conventional auto may not be slower than a dual clutch when traveling on high speed since not much gear change is required.

Turbocharged

If i was looking for a sub $150k car now, i would seriously consider a WRX but might settle for the levorg .....but i more likely to end up with an Ionic mid next year if they bring in the plug in hybrid...

PHEVs suffer from a severe lack of available charging stations in this country. Unless you happen to own a property you can install one in.

PHEVs suffer from a severe lack of available charging stations in this country. Unless you happen to own a property you can install one in.

Oh i tot plug in hybrids are charging on-the-go through the petrol engine as well as regenerative braking and are basically same as normal hybrid except that the battery is more powerful and larger capacity?

Price for the new turbo Tucson is $132, 899 with COE in today The Straits Times newspaper.

wow.. if price stated is accurate, it is even slightly cheaper than the sunroof version.

Wonder how's the equipment list..

• Praise 1

If you understand how CVT work, you will know how it drive (I ever dealt with machines running on CVT and realized instantly how the "rubberband" feel come about). Just like traveling on land, water and in the air kind of different, if I were to exaggerate it.

As to DCT, DSG, dual clutch gearbox, VW first created the negative awareness with it 7 speed dry clutch DSG, and the rest of the compliant (from Honda, Ford, etc.) follow suit. Side track a little, every now and then, we read news in the paper that foreign bride runaway from marriage, cheat on Singaporean hubby, swindle off hard earned money, etc. etc. and thus it left an impression with reader that foreign bride are bad. Anyone ever wonder how many % of foreign bride actually behave in this way?? When did you read in the paper on how good are foreign bride?

My point is, it is the impression that counts, and that negative news would draw much more attention (and cast a deeper impression) than good news. A simple test here:

Q1 Can you name one of the engine that VW won the best engine award?

Q2 Can you tell me what are the problems associated with VW car model?

I can safely assumed that little will be able to answer Q1, but DSG issue, Diesel gate will immediately pop up for Q2. I am not defending dual clutch gearbox, but we need to give it sometime for technology to mature and minor glitches to be ironed out. Just like when Honda & Mitsubishi introduce CVT on Civc & Lancer, everyone said that CVT cannot make it, and yet today (>15 years later), many are singing praise about it.

OK, back to the topic (before TS report me for talking nonsense hehe...), TC is the way to go, like it or not. power output figure is just a number, it is the implementation and refinement that count. I do have high hope of Korean TC engine, since it is has been available for a while (but sadly not in Singapore), and there are little -ve feedback. If proven reliable, we will then see 2.0T Santa Fe / Sorento, Sonata / I45, etc. which I really look forward to.

Edited by Carbon82
  • Praise 5

It's the low end torque in turbo engines that is helpful .

VW Jetta 1.4 is only 120 bhp. But the 200nm of torque kicks in from a low 1500rpm, giving it a superb pick up

Turbocharged

Oh i tot plug in hybrids are charging on-the-go through the petrol engine as well as regenerative braking and are basically same as normal hybrid except that the battery is more powerful and larger capacity?

To my knowledge the PHEVs require you to charge them off the grid to attain maximum fuel economy (hence the name plug in hybrid), as they typically use more battery power.

If you run them without charging at all they will have to burn petrol the old fashioned way, in which case there's no point in getting a PHEV specifically.

Price for the new turbo Tucson is $132, 899 with COE in today The Straits Times newspaper.

Thats not bad a price.  Gonna check it out with a hiadee.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                vc                      

↡ Advertisement