New car recalled under PI warranty

Superyandao

About the forummer who has not collected his ride yet after booking in CNY this year, my colleague updated me that he got his after 9 months of agonising waiting. When he booked the ride, the PI told him proudly that the company is owned by a big name PI so don't worry about delivery. Yet he had to go to its showroom to bang table and shouted at its SEs infront of the customers almost on daily basis for a period of time until the management buay tahan decided to give in and surrender the ride to him. And now he is worrying about any recalls. And he booked a Vezel, with spare parts and expertise easily available.

To me this worse than buying a VW. I not trying to spread fear, just stating a truth.

Who is the big name PI ?

↡ Advertisement

Let me share my understanding..

Warranty claims under AD.

Example shock absorber spolit within warranty period.

AD workshop will change the parts and labour billed to manufacturer...example Honda Japan.

Example

Shock absorber cost maybe  = $250

Labour to replace cost 1man hour maybe =  $50

Total : $300 (Bill to manufacturer)

Warranty claims under PI

Local PI do not have the support from manufacturer

The warranty offered by PI are "invented" by local businesses.

Therefore, the lesser problem to the car = the better for those selling warranty.

• Praise 2

About the forummer who has not collected his ride yet after booking in CNY this year, my colleague updated me that he got his after 9 months of agonising waiting. When he booked the ride, the PI told him proudly that the company is owned by a big name PI so don't worry about delivery. Yet he had to go to its showroom to bang table and shouted at its SEs infront of the customers almost on daily basis for a period of time until the management buay tahan decided to give in and surrender the ride to him. And now he is worrying about any recalls. And he booked a Vezel, with spare parts and expertise easily available.

To me this worse than buying a VW. I not trying to spread fear, just stating a truth.

if keithchue bought his lemon VW from PI, i bet his thread won't go on and on for so long

:D

• Praise 1

To even consider a PI for a new car, the upfront discount (over best offer AD price after negotiation) should be at least 25%. Otherwise, it just isn't worth it.

Believe me, if something goes majorly tits up, you *will* need that buffer to fix your car (AD adoption fee or buying and fixing parts yourself).

The reason I'm specifying a percentage margin is that more expensive cars will have more expensive fixes.

I've not looked at the PI market that closely, but I don't think anyone is offering that magic 25%+ discount - or are they?

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 1

To even consider a PI for a new car, the upfront discount (over best offer AD price after negotiation) should be at least 25%. Otherwise, it just isn't worth it.

Believe me, if something goes majorly tits up, you *will* need that buffer to fix your car (AD adoption fee or buying and fixing parts yourself).

The reason I'm specifying a percentage margin is that more expensive cars will have more expensive fixes.

I've not looked at the PI market that closely, but I don't think anyone is offering that magic 25%+ discount - or are they?

my car had 2 recalls - both times AD cleared for me within a day or two. (includes a steering column fix)

even though some PI cars did go to them for the same repair, they were put on a wait list, subject to japan's approval and subject to labour costs... (iirc)

people always ask me why I paid the $20-30k premium ...

I can only say that the goodwill I got from Tan Chong (yes their prices are most definitely 10-20% higher than outside) was above, and beyond, and even into outer space, for my car. for that, I will always give them kudos. 

• Praise 1

last time i look at e90 335

spec-to-spec comparison

PI has lesser non essential specs and cheaper by $30k

to be honest ... for bmw/merc/audi if go for basic standard specs ... just buy from AD ... fck the PI

unless owner want to spec the car until gao gao then can consider PI inlcuding the leather colour, etc

because AD don't like high spec car ... there is no buyer

AD only want to bao jiak bread&butter 1.4L 1.6L and 2.0L family point A to point B ... lol

it's like pancake kosong ... easy peasy job 5mins job to make 1 ... lol

Edited by Wt_know

my car had 2 recalls - both times AD cleared for me within a day or two. (includes a steering column fix)

even though some PI cars did go to them for the same repair, they were put on a wait list, subject to japan's approval and subject to labour costs... (iirc)

people always ask me why I paid the $20-30k premium ...

I can only say that the goodwill I got from Tan Chong (yes their prices are most definitely 10-20% higher than outside) was above, and beyond, and even into outer space, for my car. for that, I will always give them kudos.

Just to clarify, how can a $30k premium be 20%? That would mean a $150k price tag for your car, and I know the GTR is much more expensive than that.

last time i look at e90 335

spec-to-spec comparison

PI has lesser non essential specs and cheaper by $30k

to be honest ... for bmw/merc/audi if go for basic standard specs ... just buy from AD ... fck the PI

unless owner want to spec the car until gao gao then can consider PI inlcuding the leather colour, etc

because AD don't like high spec car ... there is no buyer

AD only want to bao jiak bread&butter 1.4L 1.6L and 2.0L family point A to point B ... lol

it's like pancake kosong ... easy peasy job 5mins job to make 1 ... lol

$30k is still just about 10% or less. Not hitting that 25% margin that I'd want to buffer me against future catastrophic warranty issues/recalls. I don't think any model meets that standard, so I wouldn't consider a PI.

Anyway, I believe some ADs like Munich are even more competitive than PIs.

i think PI sibei cunning ... they trade on the borderline that $30k is enough for the adoption fees

sell cock-n-bull story that you buy with $30k cheaper ... if shit happen ... can use the $30k to go back to AD

nothing lose ... if nothing happen ... save the $30k

selling snake oil to the MAX ... lol

20-25% is almost impossible la

1st ... their discount is not as good as AD

2nd ... they also buy from another AD or importer overseas ... that side already made 1 cut of the profit

3rd ... they also want to make huge profit margin laughing to bank

Just to clarify, how can a $30k premium be 20%? That would mean a $150k price tag for your car, and I know the GTR is much more expensive than that.

Edited by Wt_know

$30k is still just about 10% or less. Not hitting that 25% margin that I'd want to buffer me against future catastrophic warranty issues/recalls. I don't think any model meets that standard, so I wouldn't consider a PI.

Anyway, I believe some ADs like Munich are even more competitive than PIs.

in 2009 the PI price was about $250k ... I paid around 280k +/- bro.

I'm siding with u actually, that for the price diff of 10%, it didnt make sense to go with PI (even though the majority of GTRs are PI cars)

yes, you are right on munich though ... their prices are really competitive sia ...

in 2009 the PI price was about $250k ... I paid around 280k +/- bro.

I'm siding with u actually, that for the price diff of 10%, it didnt make sense to go with PI (even though the majority of GTRs are PI cars)

yes, you are right on munich though ... their prices are really competitive sia ...

No, I was just wondering why you mentioned a 20% margin. But yes, 30k is 12% over the PI price. That wouldn't sway me to buy from a PI for an expensive car which is often more temperamental. And for a cheaper car, the margin is even lower, so who cares? No matter which way I look at it, the AD still wins.

Edited by Turboflat4

No, I was just wondering why you mentioned a 20% margin. But yes, 30k is 12% over the PI price. That wouldn't sway me to buy from a PI for an expensive car which is often more temperamental. And for a cheaper car, the margin is even lower, so who cares? No matter which way I look at it, the AD still wins.

eh?i didnt mention 20% bro ><

my last line about the 10-20% markup was for the servicing portion (sorry if that wasnt clear lol)

i think PI sibei cunning ... they trade on the borderline that $30k is enough for the adoption fees

sell cock-n-bull story that you buy with $30k cheaper ... if shit happen ... can use the $30k to go back to AD

nothing lose ... if nothing happen ... save the $30k

selling snake oil to the MAX ... lol

20-25% is almost impossible la

1st ... their discount is not as good as AD

2nd ... they also buy from another AD or importer overseas ... that side already made 1 cut of the profit

3rd ... they also want to make huge profit margin laughing to bank

On this issue, I know of a merc 250 owner bot fr pi shb at some 30k lesser but he told me he regretted cos ws svc not as good, not sure he mentioned any recall related.

If you really want to drill down to the last option, spec for spec, I seriously doubt the difference is 30K.

Must compare apple for apple.....

On this issue, I know of a merc 250 owner bot fr pi shb at some 30k lesser but he told me he regretted cos ws svc not as good, not sure he mentioned any recall related.

If you really want to drill down to the last option, spec for spec, I seriously doubt the difference is 30K.

Must compare apple for apple.....

that the issue, his may be down spec / less options.. but as not-so-savvy consumer, he could've overlooked this fact when heard about price diff.

How is the Vezel recall/part replacement with PI? Whose is still not done or who has given up? 

try postin in vezel thread or their fb group..

if $4k = 10-12 months petrol money hor ... dont play play [sly]

I see the price difference between vezel and kah's mij hrv, and I wonder why will people still buy from pi for that few k difference

PI likes to chut alot of such stunts for the not so savvy car buyers who just look at the overall price...

Eg. for merc..... C&C spec may be Intelligent LED light system (active cornering light and the works), the PI will give normal LED light (cannot move), price difference at least a 2-3K.

the not so savvy car buyer just look at the spec sheet...: "ah...both have LED..same same...why I need to pay AD 30k more?"

that the issue, his may be down spec / less options.. but as not-so-savvy consumer, he could've overlooked this fact when heard about price diff.

try postin in vezel thread or their fb group..

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1