• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
59 replies to this topic | 276 praises

Posted 18 September 2016 - 01:43 PM

therock
  • therock
    5th Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Bros

I figured that I want to do a little road trip with friends before I have to give up my car..

See some of the nice places around M'sia, and not just the typical stuff.

The plan is to go in October just before the school holidays, or end of Sept.. so I can also see the East coast before the annual monsoon.

Some ideas:

Perak rice fields

Makan in Ipoh

Tasik Kenyir in Trengganu 

Food in Penang

I won't mind stopping in Malacca along the way, but I have been there a lot of times

If anyone has a similar plan or done this before, please share, thanks!

Also please share if you have tips on food spots, places to stay (under $100Sin), and sights to see.

Cheers

Doppel praised this

Posted 18 September 2016 - 03:07 PM

Roadrunner2029
  • Roadrunner2029
    NOS-ed
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

5 days might be a little rush to see all you mentioned. Tasik Kanyir is possible though will take you a full day to get there. Stay at least two nights to explore the lake and islands. After that can cross over to Kinta Valley (Ipoh, Kampar, Tualang area) for freshwater fish and prawn and local veg and then farther down to Anson to see Leaning Tower then Sekinchan to see padi fields. Already five days gone.
Doppel and JohnSHL praised this

Posted 18 September 2016 - 04:05 PM

therock
  • therock
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Thanks bro, I don't want to see all the places - just some ideas off the top of my trip.

Neither do I want it to be some "Chan Bros Refugee" style trip.

Just hoping for some suggested itinerary.. 

Your ideas look pretty nice :)

Posted 18 September 2016 - 04:51 PM

Neutrino
  • Neutrino
    6th Gear
    Author Image

French Hotel in Ipoh is good value.

Penang is for me the only place worth visiting up north.

East side is OK but really nothing special to see.

If you like driving then fine although 5 days not long enough.

But if you hope to see stuff you can't see in Johor then you might be disappointed.

There is a long thread on this started by Adrianli iirc.

Edited by Neutrino, 18 September 2016 - 04:52 PM.

Doppel praised this
There is no law without enforcement

Posted 18 September 2016 - 04:58 PM

Jamesc
  • Premium member
    Jamesc
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Ipoh only good for stopover for food.

Tim sum, bean sprout chicken, hor fun

Can also buy pomelos there.

Penang a lot more places to see.

:D

Mercs and RH1667 praised this
The Secret to Happiness
is to Simplify and
not to Multiply.

Posted 18 September 2016 - 05:32 PM

Thaiyotakamli
  • Premium member
    Thaiyotakamli
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Best place is to go up mountain. Like genting and cameron. 5 days should be enough to cover both place
After a long hot drive u want to reach a cool climate place, drink kopi and eat strawberries, maybe a fresh cup of milk will be good
Doppel and RH1667 praised this
Dont get confused between my personality & my attitude...

My personality is who I am...

My attitude depends on who you are...

Posted 19 September 2016 - 11:21 PM

Dxyong
  • Premium member
    Dxyong
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

5 days is a bit short...but lets see if this works for u

Ipoh x 1 - staying at Lost world Tambun cheap cheap and can go hot spring to relax

Cameron Highland x 2 - after hot spring, enjoying tea at breezee mountain top

KL x 1 - shop until you drop

1 more day is for the driving up and back :)

Edited by Dxyong, 19 September 2016 - 11:22 PM.

Posted 19 September 2016 - 11:51 PM

Doppel
  • Premium member
    Doppel
    6th Gear
    Author Image

Ipoh only good for stopover for food.

Tim sum, bean sprout chicken, hor fun

Can also buy pomelos there.

Penang a lot more places to see.

I'm in Penang now, please recommend some attractions.

Thank you.
Staff69 and Angcheek praised this

Posted 20 September 2016 - 08:21 AM

Keithchue
  • Premium member
    Keithchue
    5th Gear
    Author Image

batu ferringi, kek le shi monstary, the assam laksa, at the foot of the monastery.

island shopping.  old style fish head steamboat.

Everyday is a challenge, what makes it difficult is the people around you have to work with.

Driving a lemonade half broken car. Life is a bitch

Posted 20 September 2016 - 09:08 AM

therock
  • therock
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Thanks bros

Right now it's between a straight drive to Ipoh, then down to Cameroon and maybe Meleka on the way down - KL might be too messy :)

OR

SIN - Kuantan, Tasik Kenyir and a bit of Trengannu .. 

Edited by therock, 20 September 2016 - 09:08 AM.

Posted 20 September 2016 - 09:15 AM

Jamesc
  • Premium member
    Jamesc
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I'm in Penang now, please recommend some attractions.

Thank you.

I enjoyed going up Penang hill. There is a nice

restaurant at the top. Double fried chicken is really

good - local name Inchi Kabin is a must try.

Good places to eat - end of the world restaurant.

Not sure if its still there, I went there years ago.

You can go to the Take Look See temple.

Can go snake temple but no more snakes there.

I remember having lunch at the E&O restaurant and it was good.

For hotel there are 6 or 7 nice hotels at Batu Ferringi.

Gurney drive for the local favourites, char kway teow, rojak

laksa, chendol. Town area near the big penis looking building

to buy cheap gifts for the MIL. Dried nutmeg, dried squid, peanuts

muruku, tau sar piah.  

Edited by Jamesc, 20 September 2016 - 09:31 AM.

Spring and JohnSHL praised this
The Secret to Happiness
is to Simplify and
not to Multiply.

Posted 20 September 2016 - 02:42 PM

Jman888
  • Jman888

Thanks bros

Right now it's between a straight drive to Ipoh, then down to Cameroon and maybe Meleka on the way down - KL might be too messy :)

OR

why KL is messy?

Thaiyotakamli praised this
骑白马的不一定是王子,可能是唐僧;带翅膀的也不一定是天使,有时候是鸟人。

Posted 20 September 2016 - 02:52 PM

therock
  • therock
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Traffic, crime etc
Plus I go there way too often :)
For me, a trip to Malaysia is a way to relax and chill. Kick up the feet and get away from the hustle and bustle :)

Posted 20 September 2016 - 02:56 PM

Sunny
  • Premium member
    Sunny
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Best place is to go up mountain. Like genting and cameron. 5 days should be enough to cover both place
After a long hot drive u want to reach a cool climate place, drink kopi and eat strawberries, maybe a fresh cup of milk will be good

hmmm didnt expect drink fresh milk up the mountains.  

maybe bring a "nanny" along  :XD:

but cameron tea might be good 

Posted 20 September 2016 - 03:03 PM

Roadrunner2029
  • Roadrunner2029
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Penang Kek Lok Si just outside look see take photo can liao .. Last time free entrance now everything pay money.

Posted 20 September 2016 - 03:06 PM

Thaiyotakamli
  • Premium member
    Thaiyotakamli
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

hmmm didnt expect drink fresh milk up the mountains.
maybe bring a "nanny" along :XD:

but cameron tea might be good

Since genting or cameron doesnt have cow farm, one can bring HL milk from sg, then reheat on pan, hoola its fresh haha
Sunny praised this
Dont get confused between my personality & my attitude...

My personality is who I am...

My attitude depends on who you are...

Posted 20 September 2016 - 03:24 PM

Roadrunner2029
  • Roadrunner2029
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Thanks bros

OR

If want to spend a few more days in Trengganu can also consider Pulau Redang.
Go Kuala Trengganu can see crystal masjid very majestic, eat at Chinatown. Coastal drive along Trengganu very swee.

Go Kuantan can visit Sungei Lembing, quite a few adventure tours there, if not can visit old tin mine and experience old tin mine town. Visit majestic Gua Charas, fly your drone there take video will be jun swee. At night can gaze stars. Shop at East Coast Mall, eat Ikan Bakar, seafood.

Certainly more than five days [laugh]

Posted 20 September 2016 - 03:31 PM

Roadrunner2029
  • Roadrunner2029
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Gua Charas near Sungei Lembing. Swee bo?

blog-Malaysias-enchanting-east-coast-Gua
Ben5266, Philipkee, Doppel and Scion praised this

Posted 20 September 2016 - 04:20 PM

BabyBlade

Genting, Cameron, Fraser Hill, KL, Penang.

I like my hair messy, my life high, and my soul wild.

Posted 20 September 2016 - 04:28 PM

Neutrino
  • Neutrino
    6th Gear
    Author Image

Penang Hill.  Not for food as Jamesc suggests but for the funicular railway ride to the top and the great views of Penang.

Drive down west side of island, Balik Pulau, and the great drive over the mountains to Telok Kumbar stopping at Bukit Genting Hilltop, ( google location but not too difficult to find )  where you'll see loads of durian on the hairy road up to the restaurant and again great views.

Then when reach Telok Kumbar turn right along the coast road and look for sign to Hai Boey seafood restaurant which has good seafood and the best view of sunset in Malaysia if you are ther around 6-30 pm, a sunset not to miss.

There is no law without enforcement

Back to Travel & Road Trips  ·  Non-Car Related Top Reply to this topic

Quick Reply

Tags: malaysia, road trip, drive, tips and 4 more...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users