5 days Road Trip in Malaysia - suggestions & tips?

therock

Erm.. the road tax info is from One motoring right?

Not the same old road tax disc design?

No more disc alr if u renew ur road tax after 15 Feb 2017....

u need print a copy of your road tax validity from One motoring to keep in ur car...just in case (esp if u go up north)  

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

I covered about 1200 km, used VPower throughout, and spent M$198 in total on fuel..

My FC would have been better if not for the two hour jam at the Johor customs going up from Tuas.

I planned to return on a weekday, and there was no jam at the Causeway on the Malaysian side. In fact they were faster than the SG side..

About M$ 120 in toll.. not bad for a few days out.. 

I took my mum along, and the key to taking older folks out, is to build in lots of toilet breaks..

Hopefully she is up to another trip later this year... let's see :)

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

IMO.. looking distance road trips can be tiring especially for older folks.. If really wanna go, try taking a flight to somewhere else loh..

IMO.. looking distance road trips can be tiring especially for older folks.. If really wanna go, try taking a flight to somewhere else loh..

My old folks once tagging along to Ipoh...Penang with stops in KL...Cameron Highland...there are so many sights and scenes to be seen and enjoyed....we talk about anything on earth and surroundings...we enjoying the companionship throughout the 7 days....come think of it...this is probably one of the longest time we spend together ever since I started my working hood :p

I do feel they appreciated it and looking forward for another one....but too bad that my dad is no longer as fit for such travelling now...but I do hoping to arrange one more as soon as he improves.....in my opinion...it is  not the journey itself but who you with in that journey that make the difference  [:p]

• Praise 7

Flying gets you to the destination quicker, but sometimes, it's the journey that counts..

See why some of us will wake up much earlier, just to send kids to school. Sometimes it's not because they need it, but simply because as parents, they want to spend some time with the kids..

There were some slow patches, some jams at the Causeway, but also long smooth drives and throughout, it gives me a chance to talk.. 

It's role reversal I guess, she is now under my care, and you have to think harder, plan where to stop etc, but it's one good reason why driving is better. You can stop anytime, anywhere. And it takes her to places which she has not gone for more than two decades.

We visited many old places of her childhood, met friends that we have not seen for ages.. 

Plus I get to use my car in anger, gun the engine, clear some carbon and after five months, I have finally hit 5000 km :) 

• Praise 3

Turbocharged

Flying gets you to the destination quicker, but sometimes, it's the journey that counts..

See why some of us will wake up much earlier, just to send kids to school. Sometimes it's not because they need it, but simply because as parents, they want to spend some time with the kids..

There were some slow patches, some jams at the Causeway, but also long smooth drives and throughout, it gives me a chance to talk..

It's role reversal I guess, she is now under my care, and you have to think harder, plan where to stop etc, but it's one good reason why driving is better. You can stop anytime, anywhere. And it takes her to places which she has not gone for more than two decades.

We visited many old places of her childhood, met friends that we have not seen for ages..

Plus I get to use my car in anger, gun the engine, clear some carbon and after five months, I have finally hit 5000 km :)

Certainly.. The bonding is priceless.

It was my observation during one of our road trips where my aunt brought her in law along.. thought it could be rather siong for the old grandma..

• Praise 2

Just FYI Shell is offering a Matchbox toy James Bond car free if you spend $30 in their stores.

Only in the lower Johor stations..

Just to add, there's no VEP, but there's a new policy of opening the bonnet and ironically when I did the return leg via the Causeway, it only took me 15 min to cross, whereas the SG side was about 30 min!

(edited)

open bonnet check simi

want to see how BIG is the turbo charger? muahahaha

post-7984-0-59282300-1498138402_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wt_know

I suspect that drivers now don't use the boot to store items, but try to smuggle them elsewhere. And in the current climate of vigilance against terrorism, there's a lot more security.

The little red dot is a target...

• Praise 1

Those who wish to drive up the east coast of Malaysia, please take note of this piece of news:

Car occupants cheat death as road collapses in Mersing
ef5e0ec0-3146-11e7-b877-8dd15ac06abf_nst
Halim Said
New Straits Times 15 January 2018

MERSING: A portion of Jalan Jemaluang-Mersing has been rendered unusable for now, after a section of the road collapsed last night.

The collapsed section occurred at 2.30am at KM16 of the stretch.

Half of the road collapsed 15-metres down a slope. The entire damaged portion spans 70-metres in width.

Mersing district police chief superintendant Cyril Edward Nuing said police were alerted to the incident and closed off the stretch, when an inspection by the Mersing Public Works Department concluded that it wasn't safe for road users.

One car slid down the collapsed portion of the road and was covered in rubble. However, the motorist escaped unhurt.

"The driver, a 60-year old man, and his passengers, were unharmed in the incident," he said.

The vehicle's occupants were taken to Mersing Hospital for checks.

"For safety reasons, Jalan Jemaluang which connects Mersing and Johor Baru is now temporary closed off to traffic.

"Motorists can use Jalan Nitar-Jemaluang as an alternative route," he said. © New Straits Times Press (M) Bhd

• Praise 4

Depends a lot on your interests and what you want to see and do in Malaysia, but I think Penang is a great choice. Otherwisee, if you want to stay in Kuala Lumpur, there are 3 main areas that make great places to stay for tourists - Buking Bintang, KLCC and Chinatown.

I am drìving to Perak this Jun to attend a Wedding....

But it's going to coincide with Hari Raya (Fri&Sat).

Undecided if we should drive on Thursday or Sat?

I have driven in once or twice a year but never during Hari Raya or CNY.

Which day is the jam day?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1