Recommend a book to a fellow reader

Lala81

Reading is my cure to insomia especially Chinese books (though I spent almost half of education as a CL1 student in schools).

[laugh]

Edited by Kangadrool
↡ Advertisement

As the TS, haha I haven't been reading much the last few months. Mostly still reading Thinking, fast and slow.

It's quite a long read.

Yup, doctors still need read much.I challenged a doctor and won,but not wish to seek legal justification as i have seen that doctor as one of best here.

wah.....u also chess kaki.....Fisher was himself a pawn in the chess game of USA and Soviet Union. Back in the 80s i was nuts when Karpov played Kasparov....bought the Daily Monitor just to play out their moves. Now i play chess i get headache....

The problem with Sg, HKG and Japan.

Since the other thread get hijacked by junk.

Here are some books.

1. https://books.google.com.sg/books?id=m4qudn9rXbIC&pg=PA2&lpg=PA2&dq=refugee+mentality+research&source=bl&ots=jG7yfWFmv_&sig=Ki-yoUhYJ-Xu0qRSCelAqOpeQfY&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjZiuDNlr7RAhXJtI8KHZQLDk4Q6AEIJzAF#v=onepage&q=refugee%20mentality%20research&f=false

2. http://www.cefc.com.hk/article/gordon-matthews-eric-kit-wai-ma-tai-lok-lui-hong-kong-china-learning-to-belong-to-a-nation/

3. This is an article...read what Abe says.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/sep/30/japan-says-it-must-look-after-its-own-before-allowing-syrian-refugees-in

As descendants of refugees, how have our inherited survival traits shaped our present problem?

The constant threat assessment , unsafe environment, lack of resources....

Are we living in a self governed refugee camp?

So refugee camp management actually using survival techniques not commensurate with old world safety.

As a responsible woman, I believe I would be reluctant to have children.

1. Hampers my career if I have a football team. What a waste of a college education. (Solution is not barefoot and pregnant, but ministars should have football teams then can be ministars -- lead by half football team family Captain Dragon).

2. Survival assessment , can make do with one or die with three? External pressures and internal ability plus spot on analysis of what is doable.

3. Sharing of resources. A simple family car in the traditional way is impossible with COE/pump costs. Then education expensive. Some schools so atas that you take it or leave it behavior.

Some people who have done well in a refugee environment tend to have subconscious behaviors that dictate a dead end road.

Inspiration came from a refugee descendant over the radio. Still bringing old world kok behavior influenced by new world beliefs.

This refugee descendant gave the answer by his silly behavior and intelligent speech unknowingly.

Remember?

One of our beloved Kings is from a refugee family. Similar traits, easy understanding, door is always open.

Edited by Datsun366

(edited)

Any good chinese book to recommend for sec 2 level.

Lol to increase interest in the language or for proper reading?

I have no idea btw.

I think most guys just read Romance of Three Kingdoms and Water Margin at most.

I'm actually reading this currently. Kane Chronicles.

Lol it's teen literature, but i like to read these fantasy books by Rick Riordan

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18216364-the-kane-chronicles

Edited by Lala81

Lol to increase interest in the language or for proper reading?

I have no idea btw.

I think most guys just read Romance of Three Kingdoms and Water Margin at most.

I'm actually reading this currently. Kane Chronicles.

Lol it's teen literature, but i like to read these fantasy books by Rick Riordan

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18216364-the-kane-chronicles

Hopefully can increase my son interest in chinese. Last year I loaded Jing Yong's COndor hero into his kindle, but the whole of sec 1 he only finish til chapter 2. Looking for something lighter, at least so he can complete the book.  

I think Romance of the 3 kingdom might too heavy... Will try Water Margin, at least each main character has a little story.

(edited)

Hopefully can increase my son interest in chinese. Last year I loaded Jing Yong's COndor hero into his kindle, but the whole of sec 1 he only finish til chapter 2. Looking for something lighter, at least so he can complete the book.  

I think Romance of the 3 kingdom might too heavy... Will try Water Margin, at least each main character has a little story.

Hmmm try this? 寻秦记

http://www.novelupdates.com/series/a-step-into-the-past/

It's quite action packed and relatively simple going at the start. But a bit PG rated. 

Too bad all manga online nowadays are english subbed.

Last time with chuangyi and Tongli, it's easy to pick up manga with chinese subs and read them. Super easy to start devouring them if u like them.

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 1

my dad used to represent PUB recreation club for chess tournaments. I started playing chess when I was a kid.

I have the Kasparov computer chess game, that gives me migraine! [laugh]

wah...bro....sorry! only notice you replied to me just now. Kasparov is my idol in the chess world. Fella had many daring moves. When he played karpov.....others in the audience would play out his move to see what he was is up to. Now i also get headache when i play chess.

Quite true.

But reading is also an interest which unfortunately the younger generation is less exposed to. Screen time is increasingly more important.

Trying to cultivate my children to read, which i think a lot of singaporean kids do. The children sections are quite large and have a lot of books in our local bookstores. Similarly the libraries.

I still see a lot of kids reading in the library or bookstores. But maybe it's cos we have a tendency to read fiction rather than serious books.

I do read both, but I think I'm really in the rare minority. My wife reads quite a bit, but she only reads fiction.

(edited)

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/28789682-the-secret-life-of-fat

The Secret Life of Fat by Sylvia Tara.

Extremely informative book about Fat in the body. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who's interested about nutrition or are fighting the bulge like me.

This is all evidence based. Author did a good job explaining all facets of how body fat interacts with our lives and metabolism.

This book pulls together concepts I've gleaned across watching quite a lot of documentaries on nutrition/fat/dieting.

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 1