Magnifying glass
  • Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
10 replies to this topic | 42 praises

Posted 21 September 2016 - 10:46 PM

fxsg123
  • fxsg123
    Clutched
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

1. Does pps just make washing easier or it offer significant advantages?

2. Can frequent manual waxing achieve the same result as pps?

3. I understand frm one detailer, dust n dirt can penetrate wax and might damage the paint but not pps.

4. I understand frm one detailer waxing might damage clear coating whereas pps protect it.

5. I understand from my thread here ppl claim pps protect against fine scratches and swirl mark

6. The avg price of high end pps reach 800 to 1k. Is service available for remove and respray of clear coat.? If yes, what's the avg price. If similar, won't respray be a better option?

Posted 21 September 2016 - 10:55 PM

K20VTEC
  • K20VTEC
    2nd Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Bro, check your pm.

Posted 22 September 2016 - 06:05 AM

Muser
  • Premium member
    Muser
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

3. I understand frm one detailer, dust n dirt can penetrate wax and might damage the paint but not pps.

4. I understand frm one detailer waxing might damage clear coating whereas pps protect it.

5. I understand from my thread here ppl claim pps protect against fine scratches and swirl mark

6. The avg price of high end pps reach 800 to 1k. Is service available for remove and respray of clear coat.? If yes, what's the avg price. If similar, won't respray be

A. Makes washing easier, stays clean longer (resists dust build-up), water beads and falls off. YMMV.

A. Yes.

A. PPS isn't armour. It still scratches, for example, and it wears off over time (years).

A. I have PPS on my car but believe regular waxing will do the job just as well. I just have no time and energy.

A. Er. Not really. Depends on your definition of "fine". Don't count on it. Don't do PPS for scratch protection. I kena plenty of scratches liao.

6. The avg price of high end pps reach 800 to 1k. Is service available for remove and respray of clear coat.? If yes, what's the avg price. If similar, won't respray be a better option?

A. Two different things. One replaces your paint. The other protects it. Over 5 years, say, PPS could potentially keep your paint looking the same. Then you respray if you're sick of the colour and the scratches. Without PPS or waxing, your paint could deteriorate over those 5 years until you bo pian must respray. But if you're willing to wax regularly over the same time period, then that's fine.

Edited by Muser, 22 September 2016 - 06:07 AM.

Posted 23 September 2016 - 09:32 AM

fxsg123
  • fxsg123
    Clutched
    Author Image

Bro, check your pm.

bro, thanks!

A. Makes washing easier, stays clean longer (resists dust build-up), water beads and falls off. YMMV.

A. Yes.

A. PPS isn't armour. It still scratches, for example, and it wears off over time (years).

A. I have PPS on my car but believe regular waxing will do the job just as well. I just have no time and energy.

A. Er. Not really. Depends on your definition of "fine". Don't count on it. Don't do PPS for scratch protection. I kena plenty of scratches liao.

A. Two different things. One replaces your paint. The other protects it. Over 5 years, say, PPS could potentially keep your paint looking the same. Then you respray if you're sick of the colour and the scratches. Without PPS or waxing, your paint could deteriorate over those 5 years until you bo pian must respray. But if you're willing to wax regularly over the same time period, then that's fine.

Bro, thanks!

I think there's peoples including myself having the misconception PPS helps in prevention (fine) scratches and therefore the main reason for doing it. 

Posted 23 September 2016 - 09:55 AM

Tiger1
  • Premium member
    Tiger1
    6th Gear
    Author Image

A. Yes.

Good answers bro. I am thinking the same as you.

Some pps polishers must be cursing you now. Haaaa.
Muser praised this

Posted 23 September 2016 - 01:32 PM

Maddriver
  • Premium member
    Maddriver
    Sponsor
    Author Image

No need to curse..i would say minimize.. No 100% against scratches, watermarks or bird poos..

Edited by Maddriver, 23 September 2016 - 06:26 PM.

Muser praised this
WebsiteDuragloss Car Care products
WebsiteOptimum Car Care products

Posted 23 September 2016 - 06:43 PM

Muser
  • Premium member
    Muser
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

bro, thanks!

Bro, thanks!

I think there's peoples including myself having the misconception PPS helps in prevention (fine) scratches and therefore the main reason for doing it.

You're most welcome. We're here to share, after all.

PPS doesn't prevent scratches. What it does is make it easier to buff them out if they are extremely superficial, because you can remove the PPS in just that spot (unless you're using ceramic coating, which doesn't allow spot removal of the coating; whole panel needs to be recoated), then reapply. Afterwards, no more scratch. Same applies to very light paint transfer.

It's a nice side benefit, but all I'm saying is for goodness sake, don't make it your MAIN reason for doing PPS 😉.

You know, I know, we try and share but if people don't like what they read, they are free to take or leave lor.

Curse me ah? I never deliberately offend people but if people are offended, they just have to live with it. To quote Philip Pullman, no one has the right to not be offended, lol.

No need to curse..i would say minimize.. No 100% against scratches, watermarks or bird poos..

Thanks for being so reasonable, bro. I mean no offence to your business and actually heartily recommend PPS to any car owner. I actually can't imagine life without PPS because I'm super duper lazy. Just not for the wrong reasons (eg, mainly for scratch protection).

Edited by Muser, 23 September 2016 - 06:48 PM.

Posted 23 September 2016 - 07:46 PM

Maddriver
  • Premium member
    Maddriver
    Sponsor
    Author Image

No worries bro.. i agree with u that is not scratch resistance at all.. and this what i always tell me customer upfront..

Good to have for new cars.. not a must to have for older car..

Edited by Maddriver, 23 September 2016 - 07:55 PM.

Posted 23 September 2016 - 07:59 PM

Muser
  • Premium member
    Muser
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

Good to have for new cars.. not a must to have for older car..

For me, personally, PPS is actually a must now. For my personal needs and expectations lah.

Edited by Muser, 23 September 2016 - 08:00 PM.

Posted 23 September 2016 - 08:07 PM

Maddriver
  • Premium member
    Maddriver
    Sponsor
    Author Image

I personally find paint coating system quite difficult to bond on those surface that has some oxidise tho we correct it..so i always recommend go with conventional sealant and wax.. probably result is better..

Above are just base on my finding only.. i could be wrong ya..

Posted 23 September 2016 - 11:06 PM

flashbang
  • Premium member
    flashbang
    Supercharged
    Author Image

As someone who went from occasional waxing to PPS, the difference is day and night when it comes to maintaining the cleanliness of your car.

Before PPS:

After 1 week, silver rims will turn dark grey due to brake dust (my brake pads are quite dusty). If during that week it rained, bound to have dirt on the lower parts of the car, and the rims will look even worse. Every week confirm need to wash car + rims with car shampoo. Drying takes a long time as the water "sticks" to the car, have to wring out my MF cloth many times.

After PPS:

Recently went through 3 days of rain in the morning. Car is ridiculously clean. Rims are still dirty, but nowadays can last for 2 weeks before must wash. Nowadays I only wash with water and one pass with the MF cloth is enough to totally dry the surface.

When I was waxing the car, I never achieved the same dirt and water repelling effect as PPS. Main difference I noticed is that after waxing, car surface will be smooth, however for PPS car surface remains clean but it isn't as smooth.

I'm not an expert in PPS, first time I ever got it done. This is just my observations for the past month. If not for the ridiculous good price I got, may not have tried it at all. If it can last for 2 years, I am happy to repeat it another 4 times provided the guy I go to is still doing. Total price might not exceed some of the high-end PPS out there  :slow:

Muser praised this

Back to Detailing  ·  Aftermarket Top Reply to this topic

Related user reviews on sgCarMart.com

Seeker Glass Coat Set

Seeker Glass Coat Set  |  Rating   Submit Review

Reviewed by Baiji8899  |  Clutched

Excellent product!

Totally impressed with the end product. This is was my first time sending my car to Seeker. Got it all groomed and polished by the professional. Perfect product i would say! Arranging another slot in few months time & definitely recommend t... » Read More

ArtDeShine Nano Gloss Paint Sealant

ArtDeShine Nano Gloss Paint Sealant  |  Rating   Submit Review

Reviewed by Anninch  |  Neutral Newbie

It's simply wow you with the gloss levels!

The sealant was applied first with a few squirts like quick detailer and buffed off with a big gay microfibre towel. I was then went around the car in same fashion with the hydrophobic spray and another big clean gay towel. Immediately flashe... » Read More

Related Product Guide search on sgCarMart.com : Paint Protection

Quick Reply

Tags: pps wax, detail, honda, new and 3 more...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users