Question on general PPS

fxsg123

1. Does pps just make washing easier or it offer significant advantages?

2. Can frequent manual waxing achieve the same result as pps?

3. I understand frm one detailer, dust n dirt can penetrate wax and might damage the paint but not pps.

4. I understand frm one detailer waxing might damage clear coating whereas pps protect it.

5. I understand from my thread here ppl claim pps protect against fine scratches and swirl mark

6. The avg price of high end pps reach 800 to 1k. Is service available for remove and respray of clear coat.? If yes, what's the avg price. If similar, won't respray be a better option?

↡ Advertisement

3. I understand frm one detailer, dust n dirt can penetrate wax and might damage the paint but not pps.

4. I understand frm one detailer waxing might damage clear coating whereas pps protect it.

5. I understand from my thread here ppl claim pps protect against fine scratches and swirl mark

6. The avg price of high end pps reach 800 to 1k. Is service available for remove and respray of clear coat.? If yes, what's the avg price. If similar, won't respray be

A. Makes washing easier, stays clean longer (resists dust build-up), water beads and falls off. YMMV.

A. Yes.

A. PPS isn't armour. It still scratches, for example, and it wears off over time (years).

A. I have PPS on my car but believe regular waxing will do the job just as well. I just have no time and energy.

A. Er. Not really. Depends on your definition of "fine". Don't count on it. Don't do PPS for scratch protection. I kena plenty of scratches liao.

6. The avg price of high end pps reach 800 to 1k. Is service available for remove and respray of clear coat.? If yes, what's the avg price. If similar, won't respray be a better option?

A. Two different things. One replaces your paint. The other protects it. Over 5 years, say, PPS could potentially keep your paint looking the same. Then you respray if you're sick of the colour and the scratches. Without PPS or waxing, your paint could deteriorate over those 5 years until you bo pian must respray. But if you're willing to wax regularly over the same time period, then that's fine.

Edited by Muser
  • Praise 7

Bro, check your pm.

bro, thanks!

A. Makes washing easier, stays clean longer (resists dust build-up), water beads and falls off. YMMV.

A. Yes.

A. PPS isn't armour. It still scratches, for example, and it wears off over time (years).

A. I have PPS on my car but believe regular waxing will do the job just as well. I just have no time and energy.

A. Er. Not really. Depends on your definition of "fine". Don't count on it. Don't do PPS for scratch protection. I kena plenty of scratches liao.

A. Two different things. One replaces your paint. The other protects it. Over 5 years, say, PPS could potentially keep your paint looking the same. Then you respray if you're sick of the colour and the scratches. Without PPS or waxing, your paint could deteriorate over those 5 years until you bo pian must respray. But if you're willing to wax regularly over the same time period, then that's fine.

Bro, thanks!

I think there's peoples including myself having the misconception PPS helps in prevention (fine) scratches and therefore the main reason for doing it. 

A. Yes.

Good answers bro. I am thinking the same as you.

Some pps polishers must be cursing you now. Haaaa.

• Praise 1

Good answers bro. I am thinking the same as you.

Some pps polishers must be cursing you now. Haaaa.

No need to curse..i would say minimize.. No 100% against scratches, watermarks or bird poos.. Edited by Maddriver
  • Praise 1

bro, thanks!

Bro, thanks!

I think there's peoples including myself having the misconception PPS helps in prevention (fine) scratches and therefore the main reason for doing it.

You're most welcome. We're here to share, after all.

PPS doesn't prevent scratches. What it does is make it easier to buff them out if they are extremely superficial, because you can remove the PPS in just that spot (unless you're using ceramic coating, which doesn't allow spot removal of the coating; whole panel needs to be recoated), then reapply. Afterwards, no more scratch. Same applies to very light paint transfer.

It's a nice side benefit, but all I'm saying is for goodness sake, don't make it your MAIN reason for doing PPS

Edited by Muser

No worries bro.. i agree with u that is not scratch resistance at all.. and this what i always tell me customer upfront..

Good to have for new cars.. not a must to have for older car..

Edited by Maddriver

Good to have for new cars.. not a must to have for older car..

For me, personally, PPS is actually a must now. For my personal needs and expectations lah.

Edited by Muser

I personally find paint coating system quite difficult to bond on those surface that has some oxidise tho we correct it..so i always recommend go with conventional sealant and wax.. probably result is better..

Above are just base on my finding only.. i could be wrong ya..

As someone who went from occasional waxing to PPS, the difference is day and night when it comes to maintaining the cleanliness of your car.

Before PPS:

After 1 week, silver rims will turn dark grey due to brake dust (my brake pads are quite dusty). If during that week it rained, bound to have dirt on the lower parts of the car, and the rims will look even worse. Every week confirm need to wash car + rims with car shampoo. Drying takes a long time as the water "sticks" to the car, have to wring out my MF cloth many times.

After PPS:

Recently went through 3 days of rain in the morning. Car is ridiculously clean. Rims are still dirty, but nowadays can last for 2 weeks before must wash. Nowadays I only wash with water and one pass with the MF cloth is enough to totally dry the surface.

When I was waxing the car, I never achieved the same dirt and water repelling effect as PPS. Main difference I noticed is that after waxing, car surface will be smooth, however for PPS car surface remains clean but it isn't as smooth.

I'm not an expert in PPS, first time I ever got it done. This is just my observations for the past month. If not for the ridiculous good price I got, may not have tried it at all. If it can last for 2 years, I am happy to repeat it another 4 times provided the guy I go to is still doing. Total price might not exceed some of the high-end PPS out there  :slow:

• Praise 2

Hi All

Sorry Iam new. I will be collecting my new car in mid of Nov.

I am figuring out does those ceramic coating , 9h good to have?

There are numerous of tthose polishing shop in the market? Not sure which should i choose if i interest?

No need to curse..i would say minimize.. No 100% against scratches, watermarks or bird poos..

Some bird poo r super acidic tat will eat into yr pps easily.. I encountered once myself

Some bird poo r super acidic tat will eat into yr pps easily.. I encountered once myself

Its still the no 1 killer..Guess non of the testing laboratory is able to certify the coating against bird poos... [laugh]  

But the positive side is probably the stain is just on coating surface..

But the positive side is probably the stain is just on coating surface..

Exactly, one good thing about PPS is that shallow stains only eat into the PPS layer, not your paint. That means it can be polished out and the PPS reapplied. Whether or not you need to pay for the reapplication and, if so, how much, depends on your PPS vendor lah. But at least it's possible.

Edited by Muser

Exactly, one good thing about PPS is that shallow stains only eat into the PPS layer, not your paint. That means it can be polished out and the PPS reapplied. Whether or not you need to pay for the reapplication and, if so, how much, depends on your PPS vendor lah. But at least it's possible.

Thanks for sharing bro, in your experience how long does PPS last? And any shop/brand to recommend for PPS? 

Thanks for sharing bro, in your experience how long does PPS last? And any shop/brand to recommend for PPS?

You're welcome, bro. Sharing info is why we're all here. In my experience, PPS can last for years even without touch-ups or recoating. With touch-ups, it can potentially outlast your COE - but not based on a single application.

As for recommendations, sorry for taking the easy way out but I'm going to say it's very personal (your comfort level with the shop/boss, etc) so there's no substitute for doing research, getting quotes, and checking out existing work.

↡ Advertisement