Kia Introduces its First FWD 8-Speed Auto Gearbox

Jzachlee

additional clutch means dual clutches?

design looks promising, may rival dct / dsg if proven more reliable.

Was it additional clutches or multiple clutch plates? The later means one clutch but instead of having one plate, it is divided into multiplates which allows more variation in the clutch pressure and take-up rate when engaging the gears which makes for a smoother gear change up or down just like a manual gearbox.

Was it additional clutches or multiple clutch plates? The later means one clutch but instead of having one plate, it is divided into multiplates which allows more variation in the clutch pressure and take-up rate when engaging the gears which makes for a smoother gear change up or down just like a manual gearbox.

Think normal torque converter clutch has many of these small plates / rings, but I recalled the video mentioned additional clutch, so I queried if there is another similar clutch plate or clutch pack.

Think normal torque converter clutch has many of these small plates / rings, but I recalled the video mentioned additional clutch, so I queried if there is another similar clutch plate or clutch pack.

Yes I watched again and at the start of the Q&A about the new tech, there is mention of an additional clutch with the planetary gears... somehow I don't think that's the main clutch mechanism... definitely not a dual clutch implementation like a DCT or DSG since a torque converter is mentioned later and how they improved the efficiencies of their torque converter via some shape changes.

In fact, Kia is one of rare few companies that have in house transmission R&D. Many others are getting from ZF/Getrag/Aisin etc.

But Kia is a leader in the field but I would think they are right to do so since they are studied how the leader's problem and quality are like prior to introducing their own product such as 8sp Auto and 7sp DCT.

The video did not show what is the lock up range or from what speed the lockup will start, but if they can introduced the lockup from 1st gear or 2nd gear onward, it will be an excellent product that will rival dual clutch transmission in term of efficiency without trade off of being jerky at low speed but with more "connected" drive feel.

By the way, it is a full auto gearbox - slush box.

• Praise 1

more gears is good,but make sure the ratio are suitable for our roads,my friend got the latest Mercedes E Class,only at 115 km/h,gearbox then can shift to 9th gear,so at 100km/h,the car only at 8th gear,making it useless here.

↡ Advertisement