My solution on maintaining any PPS or paint coating

Maddriver

I have experience lost of hydrophobic effect on a 6 months coating due to the amount of dirt and dust trapped on the surface and only used of iron removal then I am able to recover it..You will be surprise parking under a tree during heavy rain will leave a thick layer of bad elements on the surface.

So what is the best cleaning solution to use weekly or bi-weekly as a maintenance for PPS to lift off the dirt? Shampoo? plain water? etc? 

Detailers would advise only wash with water after PPS, waxing or sealant or the most a PH neutral shampoo..

I did a small test to see how much water, shampoo and a solution O( I shall not name the product as this is not a sponsored thread) lift the dirt and clean surface.. The pictures are taken with handphone..Pardon me for the lousy pictures.

The car roof surface are marked with solution 0, water and shampoo.

post-4553-0-22163500-1474679670_thumb.jpg

Next I prepared a capful of shampoo, a capful of solution in the grit guard bucket and water in another bucket

post-4553-0-19892400-1474680064_thumb.jpg

2 clean wash mitt, one for solution O, one side for water, another side for shampoo on second wash mitt..

post-4553-0-15653500-1474680167_thumb.jpg

Some visible soiled watermarks on every surface before wash

post-4553-0-38728000-1474680545_thumb.jpg

post-4553-0-46565500-1474680572_thumb.jpg

post-4553-0-68637500-1474680591_thumb.jpg

I soaked the wash mitt into every solution, squeeze some water out of it..

post-4553-0-09304800-1474680790_thumb.jpg

Surface washed using the wash mitt with the respective solution.

post-4553-0-72978000-1474681133_thumb.jpg

post-4553-0-41196300-1474681151_thumb.jpg

post-4553-0-55057200-1474681204_thumb.jpg

Sorry to be continue later, going for my hobby...

Edited by Maddriver
↡ Advertisement

Using a drying towel to wipe dry the surface

post-4553-0-01374200-1474708381_thumb.jpg

Did a visual check on each surface after drying..

post-4553-0-68563600-1474708404_thumb.jpg

post-4553-0-84390000-1474708421_thumb.jpg

post-4553-0-60357300-1474708443_thumb.jpg

Some visible water stains on the surface washed with water..For surface washed with solution O and shampoo, there are no visible stain from soil marks.

All 3 surfaces feel the same..

Edited by Maddriver

So how do I know which cleans better..Here are the wash mitt used.

post-4553-0-18770500-1474709194_thumb.jpg

post-4553-0-97217700-1474709214_thumb.jpg

post-4553-0-81388300-1474709239_thumb.jpg

post-4553-0-72437100-1474709381_thumb.jpg

post-4553-0-45270800-1474709398_thumb.jpg

I am not surprise that water don't clean and the shampoo do lift up some dirt..The solution 0 lift off the most dirt..

The surface are randomly pick. I do not know which is dirtier or cleaner..I presume they are the same since under one roof.

The next time if you feel your PPS or any sealant losing its effect..Try doing some claybaring, it helps but most important is using the right cleanser..A good Paint coating are suppose to be chemically resistance..if it cant even take a shampoo, I feel is not worth at all..

If you wish to know what solution I used to maintain my PPS? You can ask me here..http://www.mycarforum.com/topic/2406646-duraglossoptimum-car-care-products-and-paint-coating/page-127?do=findComment&comment=5938816

Above are just a simple test for sharing..If you happy washing with water, shampoo or any solution..just continue to do so..

Edited by Maddriver
  • Praise 3

Hi, just wanna ask, did u flush the surface with enough of the any of the solution (water, shampoo or solution O) so that they flow away from the surface? It looks like using solution O, a lot of dirt is still left on your bonnet and so when u wipe with cloth, it is the most dirty. On the other hand, if u flush with sufficient water and the dirt has been washed off, then it is reasonable to have little dirt on your cloth. 

• Praise 1

Hi..

I believe the surface are equally dirty since under one roof..No rinsing of any solution on surface. 2 white wash mitt for washing and yellow cloth for drying..I soak wash mitt in each solution and wash the each surface..Just 2 wipes on each surface then wipe dry using the yellow cloth to observe the surface for any water spot.. The 2 white wash mitt show how much dirt each solution lift..

Edited by Maddriver

Am I right to say if the towel is not dirty, then the dirt has been rinsed off the surface. that means PPS is working in containing the dirt

You mean the dry towel? Cant really tell if the dirt been rinse off from drying..is only when you have a white wash mitt during washing, probably can tell how much dirt is on surface with the right cleanser

Edited by Maddriver

yup..the white wash mitt is cleaner on the water and the shampoo side...which indicates that the dirt has been rinsed off earlier...while on the solution O side, it stays...so solution O seems to not help the PPS in clearing the dirt.

btw what is solution O?

We normally determine how much cleaning properties one has by looking at how dirty the mitt or the applicator,  similarly using a foam applicator with an AIO and a foam application with a wax working on a similar panel..you see how much cleaning properties has for an AIO but the wax has none..

Edited by Maddriver

Sorry is more appropriate to use my nick Optivax for the content below..

Something to share, Interesting writeup from Dr David G the CEO/chemist for Optimum U.S. I copy and paste from another website..This is one reason I did a small test..

Before this article, A few of my customers told me they added ONR into shampoo and works very very well. They find that the surface are extremely clean compared using shampoo standalone.. 

"From the keyboard of David Ghodoussi, when asked to describe ONR VS soap. good information to know and share with your customers.

Soap is a blend of surfactants that are designed to emulsify (dissolve)
oils into water. There is nothing in soap to help with dirt removal.
Foam is a by product of soap and it is caused by entrapment of air in
soap and water. People perceive foam to create lubricity and correlate
it to concentration and cleaning ability of soap. In fact, manufacturers
add foamers to increase foam to capitalize on these misconceptions.

No Rinse is based on reactive polymers that have the ability to bond to surfaces as well as dirt or oily particles. These polymers have much greater lubricity than soap and form a film around the particles as well as paint to protect from marring. The concentration of these polymers is very high which is why only 1 oz. per wash is needed. In fact, when people use 3-4 oz., they complain about the excess lubricity and streaking! If anyone washes half their car with no rinse and the other half with soap, over time, they will see marring on the soap side only!

That is why many add no rinse to their soap bucket before washing which
works well. However, because of the nature of these reactive polymers,in concentrated form, they react with soap and foaming agents to form a gel (you can try this by mixing soap concentrate with no rinse). That is why we can not add foaming agents to no rinse!

The Water softening ability of ONR comes from bonding and removing minerals from water which takes place by the polymers in No Rinse in the same way as it bonds to dirt or other surfaces. The polymers remove minerals from water by bonding and trapping them similar to how they remove dirt particles and drop them down to the bottom of solution. There is nothing in soap that has that ability hence dirt or contaminants float in the solution. The reactivity of the polymers come from having both negatively charged and positively charged groups in the polymer which
gives it a zwitterionic character. It can therefore bond with any particle whether they are anionic or cationic in nature.

With the new no rinse wash and wax, we have further increased the
lubricity, gloss, and protection. There is no product out there that can

match the performance of these products."

Edited by Optivax

Am I right to say if the towel is not dirty, then the dirt has been rinsed off the surface. that means PPS is working in containing the dirt

He didn't rinse the surface before washing

Here are some pictures on 2 different brand new cars which is less than a week.. There are some elements that are not easily remove by polishing, shampoo etc..

Is very obvious on white..I recommend to use every 6mths for any colour to remove iron from your surface..Is an iron x removal (please note not all iron x are safe for painted surface) please check first..As far as I know, the one I am using does not remove my car paint coating but I am not sure for the rest..

post-4553-0-61877700-1474877119_thumb.jpg

post-4553-0-80099800-1474877162_thumb.jpg

post-4553-0-67536400-1474877191_thumb.jpg

Edited by Maddriver
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

@Maddriver, is "Solution O" a kind of quick detailer, or a waterless wash liquid?

I am interested in possibly starting to use waterless wash solutions on my PPS coated paint, but as you might imagine there aren't a lot of clear comparisons.

@Maddriver, is "Solution O" a kind of quick detailer, or a waterless wash liquid?

I am interested in possibly starting to use waterless wash solutions on my PPS coated paint, but as you might imagine there aren't a lot of clear comparisons.

Hi 7hm, yes it is the optimum no rinse wash and shine.. for duragloss they have the no rinse with aquawax and optimum with no rinse wash n shine or no rinse wash n wax.. some call them waterless..basically all this products uses very little water..i was skeptical until i use them..

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Hi 7hm, yes it is the optimum no rinse wash and shine.. for duragloss they have the no rinse with aquawax and optimum with no rinse wash n shine or no rinse wash n wax.. some call them waterless..basically all this products uses very little water..i was skeptical until i use them..

Based on your test, would you recommend waterless saving wash solutions such as ONR over the classical shampoo or plain-water methods for PPS coated vehicles?

(edited)

Based on your test, would you recommend waterless saving wash solutions such as ONR over the classical shampoo or plain-water methods for PPS coated vehicles?

I would recommend onr for pps coated. Occasionally shampoo to remove oil film from surface.. i do mix both together at time..

Edited by Maddriver
↡ Advertisement