Tampines Roof Sunshade collapse

RadX

It's integrated into the design and in the era of pile and build, it makes sense. However, if you see newer flats that are built lego-style, they are made of metal/steel structures bolted onto the walls separately.

I don't quite understand. The function is only to block out the sun. Do we need such an elaborate and heavy structure to do just that?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

I don't quite understand. The function is only to block out the sun. Do we need such an elaborate and heavy structure to do just that?

30 years ago, people only trust concrete structures.

Same goes to the cars, the thicker, heavier the steel the better.

• Praise 1

Of course, it's blardy dangerous. But, no elites walk there frequently, it's not safety critical. Same as train lor if you ask me.

But its dangerous for the folks downstairs shopping and eating right below.. there is a coffeeshop directly below this sunshade and if domino effect, then will be 2-3 heavy concrete sunshades crashing thru the flimsy roof above the ground floor walkway and surrounding areas below.

It is Safety Critical....for others...

• Praise 1

If it was built 30 years ago HDB staff would probably have been the project team comprising project management, designers (architects/C&S/M&E), quantity surveying (QS) and site supervisors including Structural Engineers (SEs) and COWs (Clerk-of-Works).

(NB: The equivalent of SE in private sector is Resident Engineer (RE) and that we no longer call them COWs but Resident Technical Officers (RTOs) nowadays for obvious reasons.)

It was only recent years that HDB gave up the role of being the developer cum consultants at the same time. Thus it undergone a corporatizing exercise some time ago and out came Surbana which became a consultant which when after the moratorium ended bid for projects like other consultants.

Enough of technical & history lessons.

From the photographs, I initially thought the top and bottom rebars corroded thus snapped off at the connecting portion but it now seemed that there were none at all. The connection between the main building and the surface of the broken-off sunshade also seemed too "clean" with no adhering concrete remnants.

This type of failure is a bit unbelievable as site players are rather careful when it comes to cantilever structures. They are supported on one side only and that the supporting beam's top rebars are normally bigger in size as it takes tensile load while the bottom smaller-sized bars withstand compressive load. 

For sunshades it only support its own weight i.e. self-weight or dead load so for it to just dislodged like is extremely rare unless as mentioned above there were no rebars within the supporting beam. 

My comments:

(a) Why TC was asked to be responsible is puzzling because HDB should be the one checking their own site records and also to check on other blocks built under the same contract with such sunshades. Thereafter check other contracts in the same precinct.

(b) The main contractor, HDB QP (C&S), SE and COWs then responsible for approving the works will likely be questioned in the investigation of this incident.   

Troubling as there were a spate of such incidents happening lately e.g. row of a/c ledge supporting compressors collapsed not too long ago, a HDB façade fell off its mounting & a HDB shelter collapsed after being knocked by a lorry. 

• Praise 10

Of course, it's blardy dangerous. But, no elites walk there frequently, it's not safety critical. Same as train lor if you ask me.

Hahaha, ya, then shld put the TC office or meet the people session right underneath.. Then sure Kin kin repair overnight..lol..
  • Praise 1

The rebar u see in the picture is not connecting to the wall to hold the piece, it's internal for the piece of shade to hold shape.

Will need to see reverse side to know what the bars connecting to the wall is like. Cannot be depending just on cement to hold since its not cast as one piece

True...

Another explanation is, cracks formed at the joints caused rainwater to seep in, slowly corroding the rebar joining the sunshade to the walls..

True...

Another explanation is, cracks formed at the joints caused rainwater to seep in, slowly corroding the rebar joining the sunshade to the walls..

But there shld be rebar protruding from the wall side too right? I dun see any sort of bars protruding out from the building wall..

Sorry I ask, engrg noob here....

• Praise 1

But there shld be rebar protruding from the wall side too right? I dun see any sort of bars protruding out from the building wall..

Similar question when I asked why no connecting bolts from the base plate of this shelter huh??? 

yeokaiwen-stnews-6.jpg?itok=fVU0nuDe

• Praise 2

ya hor, your eyes very sharp, where are the 4 bolts??

Looking at the grey area at the base, maybe they just cemented the base into the ground and no need bolts to tie down?

Same type of construction as the sunshade?

They thinking most likely nothing will bang into the structure, so no need so secure  [knife]

ya hor, your eyes very sharp, where are the 4 bolts??

Don't be surprised if they were ripped off.

I think it's properly the nuts that were ripped off.

The bolts remained buried in the ground.

Don't be surprised if they were ripped off.

I think it's properly the nuts that were ripped off.

The bolts remained buried in the ground.

Whoa! Scary shit! :grin:

the only 'positive ' news about this incident is that the fallen off sun shade was 'tahan ' by the sun shade below and did not drop down and no one was hurt. 

many of out building have such sun shade feature, are they all the same type of design ? looks like just ' stick / paste ' onto the exterior of the building. 

There you have it, obviously the sun shade below had double reinforcement while the one that fell had zero.

Actually, the value of the unit with the fallen sun shade should increase in price, because it now has the most effective sun shade in the whole block, almost no sun come in now.

• Praise 2

Chances are it shear off nicely such that it is flushed with the wall surface.. can't tell from the picture though..

Looking at the grey area at the base, maybe they just cemented the base into the ground and no need bolts to tie down?

Same type of construction as the sunshade?

They thinking most likely nothing will bang into the structure, so no need so secure  [knife]

Cannot be no anchor bolts.. i used to be in the construction industry.. even temporary steel structures, the various govt agencies will ask for anchor bolts along with all the calculations endorsed by Civil PE.. Let alone permanent structures like the shelter 

Similar question when I asked why no connecting bolts from the base plate of this shelter huh??? 

Curious to know what happened to the investigations following all those 'incidents'?

As usual, anything govt-implicated will be 大事化小,小事化无???

It's integrated into the design and in the era of pile and build, it makes sense. However, if you see newer flats that are built lego-style, they are made of metal/steel structures bolted onto the walls separately.

these newer metal structures and aluminium plates can't last 99 years though. At some point will need replacement unlike the concrete facade.
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1