Singapore 'disappointed' with 'irresponsible report'

minion

China and Singapore ties are way much stronger than what most people think. Singapore FD is based on calculated risk/ benefits. Those who had relatives or friends in MFA will tell you, for every statements in regards to FD ,there are actually points system. Weird but true.

Not easy to balance, but Singapore has to make a stand in regards to FD. Let the Chinese paper make hoo has, but what they are trying to achieve is not what most of us think is suppose to be.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

In any diplomacy or strategic move- rule 101 states that there is always a trade off with any policy that u take- this cannot be avoided. Either damn or be damned- either way  cannot please everyone.

Therefore everything is a calculated move-with all scenario play and anticipation of each other action and reaction. What can you do- Stand still, move left or right- also kenna whack - might as well align your interest to those with shared value or principle- 

Offending other- is relative in time and space- there is no permanent friend or enemy only common interest.  This is a fact of life- if LKY is around- i am sure he would do the same- A peaceful rising China only came about within the last 30 yrs- Where is China in those days- still developing- 

Now "developed"- still learning the craft of international relationship- given its "closed door" policy which they were isolated referring to their historical path. The important thing is live and let live- just because you are now better position- u dont shit around with your neighbours & pull your weight on others.

To put it in context- these are so called "noise" created by intellectual- who got nothing to do- to create a theme for their existence- If i were u it is only a mental exercise or intellectual exchange - we still live and exist with one another. Peaceful rising- means live and let live right? 

I read your latest post a few times and still don't understand what you are saying.

What is "strategic move- rule 101" ?

Why do you consider China as a "developed" nation given the fact its GDP per capital is over 7x poorer than ours ?

If "live and let live" is what you prefer, why bother with "aligning your interest" to those that you prefer ?

You better do it, think we are playing hard ball liao!

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/singapore-pm-lee-hsien-loong-053016886.html

LOL! This Yahoo's reporter sure have a way of twisting LHL speech and selective reporting.

Have you seen the recording ?  Its on LHL FB with a complete transcript @ PMO website.

http://www.pmo.gov.sg/mediacentre/pm-lee-hsien-loong-special-session-nikkei-international-conference-future-asia/

I strongely suggest that you watch this 20min video which Yahoo claims about LHL "warning" China.

Don't fall for one news source before passing judgement.  [:p] 

Edited by Wishcumstrue
  • Praise 5

.....Not easy to balance, but Singapore has to make a stand in regards to FD. Let the Chinese paper make hoo has, but what they are trying to achieve is not what most of us think is suppose to be....

Interesting.

Can elaborate more on that last part ?

I read your latest post a few times and still don't understand what you are saying.

What is "strategic move- rule 101" ?

Why do you consider China as a "developed" nation given the fact its GDP per capital is over 7x poorer than ours ?

If "live and let live" is what you prefer, why bother with "aligning your interest" to those that you prefer ?

Your reply n attitude remind me of Amos Yee- it is not important for me to explain- as u see fits. Cause there is no ending.

We agree to disagree- i do not wan to elaborate any further.

If u dont understand it is fine- as long all bro in MCF understand- what the intention- the message is quite clear.

• Praise 3

LOL! This Yahoo's reporter sure have a way of twisting LHL speech and selective reporting.

Have you seen the recording ?  Its on LHL FB with a complete transcript @ PMO website.

http://www.pmo.gov.sg/mediacentre/pm-lee-hsien-loong-special-session-nikkei-international-conference-future-asia/

I strongely suggest that you watch this 20min video which Yahoo claims about LHL "warning" China.

Don't fall for one news source before passing judgement.  [:p] 

Completely understand where you are coming from. As a third party and being not involved, I think nothing of it.

Unfortunately, this involves parties who are involved deep to their eyeballs and both parties have reasons to believe their stands are supported by evidence.

We have to look at this from their point. If we are all friends, and we are in the company of your new girl-friend whom you are about to get married to, suddenly in our happy merry conversation, I brought up about the serious fighting you have with your ex-girlfriend and claiming the right to the Rolex watch where both had a claim to be theirs.

As your friend, is there anything wrong in bringing up about your past? Often no. But in circumstances like that socially we are taught not to bring this kind of things up in the conversation. Not especially in that kind of situation.

In this case, Singapore, can speak of anything under the sun, there are lots of issues that should have and have not been addressed, eg our crack trains (tactfully). But by bringing up issues that Singapore has no business in, to the other party eyes, it is like stroking up the fire despite whatever words you choose.

The world knows that there is no immediate solution to the issue and it would long drawn. A solution that may never be realised. So let sleeping dog lie.

• Praise 6

actually its not like some bro say we need to do U turn and suck china c--- la.

not to that extreme,

but we should be wise not to step on their toes at least right.

now we done exactly that,   

• Praise 3

There's no forever friend or foe in politics, only interest. And politics is very dirty.

Hear too many tales since young that make me find politicians are disgusting...except for GWB Jr whom I kind of miss because of his regular foolish speeches that amused me.

On the matter of why we bother to rebut and put in record over any form of wrongful allegation?

Its fairly simple. We are small, therefore our primary protections have to come from self reliance on defence and law and order within, as well as regional stability. Our diplomacy is easy to understand. Firstly, to maintain diplomatic ties with neighbours despite challenging differences. Secondly, connect to the larger world in order to pin us on the world map as an important hub in our region. If any country can easily ignore the rule of engagement set by UN or whatever council...many close by won't waste a minute to stir shit with us. Even if we don't do bad thing people say bad thing about us...sound familiar?

Therefore, we need to be steadfast and have the resolve in our stands...

This thread brings out 宏观智者与学者, 值得促膝长谈...要不择时饮茶论政?

It can be and it often is but it doesn't have to be dirty.

It can be clean and honourable.

It depends on the politician and what their values are.

:D

• Praise 2

Have you seen the recording ? Its on LHL FB with a complete transcript @ PMO website.

Don't fall for one news source before passing judgement. [:p]

Took me 2 reading sessions to digest the transcript. Yet to watch the video for any mistranslation.

A well balanced speech by Long Ge...He even carefully worded Senkaku and Diaoyu to avoid any backlash in terms of naming convention.

In a nutshell, let's all talk instead of spate on issues and differences. Dialogue with a holistic view of interests for all parties to move onwards collectively and peacefully in the era of new order or new balance - no pun intended.

Only thing I'd nitpick is - the Koreans are technically still at war...only in super extended truce.

Yahoo...? Never bother with them. Can't even get their headlines caption and picture to project the story correctly.

• Praise 3

Have you seen the recording ? Its on LHL FB with a complete transcript @ PMO website.

Don't fall for one news source before passing judgement. [:p]

Thanks. Peace is priceless.
  • Praise 6

Honestly I would be more worried over deteriorating relations with malaysia rather than china.

China has worse exchanges with philippines and vietnam, but just make noise only. The two countries still carry on business as usual.

Honestly I would be more worried over deteriorating relations with malaysia rather than china.

China has worse exchanges with philippines and vietnam, but just make noise only. The two countries still carry on business as usual.

There are billions and billions of your money committed in China. If You think suchow industrial park saga is bad, it's nothing.

They are building ports around the region. Singapore port is not indispensable.

Future main air travel growth will be in China. Singapore air hub is not indispensable.

China one belt corridor project has potential to make singapore a backwater.

Finance sector. . Wait till china really takes off. See how hong kong is no big deal anymore.

This is just a quick sample on economic issues alone.

You simply don't poss off the confirmed power in your area for no good reason. You simply weigh how heavy you are and be more humble.

• Praise 2

There are billions and billions of your money committed in China. If You think suchow industrial park saga is bad, it's nothing.

Future main air travel growth will be in China. Singapore air hub is not indispensable.

Finance sector. . Wait till china really takes off. See how hong kong is no big deal anymore.

You simply don't poss off the confirmed power in your area for no good reason. You simply weigh how heavy you are and be more humble.

Precisely I think their citizen also have many things vested here, so would be silly for their govt to do anything detrimental.

Look at the droves of PRC coming over to singapore ... if life is so good and there's so much potential in PRC, why not stay put over there and enjoy the growth?? Rather than taking a risk in coming over?

They are still coming over for the better life in singapore, no different from pinoys, myanmars, indians, etc. 

The average PRC citizen still look at singapore as land of opportunity, more than their own country. Ultimately, their final target is to get residency in ang moh countries esp. UK, USA, Australia, NZ, but we will do in the meantime...

No matter how much potential PRC has and how much it will achieve in future, their citizens still clamour to migrate, so this gives us another picture.

Edited by Sosaria
  • Praise 4

Precisely I think their citizen also have many things vested here, so would be silly for their govt to do anything detrimental.

Look at the droves of PRC coming over to singapore ... if life is so good and there's so much potential in PRC, why not stay put over there and enjoy the growth?? Rather than taking a risk in coming over?

They are still coming over for the better life in singapore, no different from pinoys, myanmars, indians, etc. 

The average PRC citizen still look at singapore as land of opportunity, more than their own country. Ultimately, their final target is to get residency in ang moh countries esp. UK, USA, Australia, NZ, but we will do in the meantime...

No matter how much potential PRC has and how much it will achieve in future, their citizens still clamour to migrate, so this gives us another picture.

I believe every individual or every family has or have their own reasons.

Singapore is a 1st world country. 1st in many things. Why are there a significant number of Singaporeans still migrating (you check and the numbers run in thousands every year from a population of 6-7million compared to China's population of approximately 1.2 billion)?

Eg. Our local universities are among the top in the world and I dare say the best in South East Asia. Why then are majority of elites (including ministers) have their children send to top universities overseas.

There is another point that people often missed or forget, that there is an impression by the PRC elites (or elites wannabe) that Singaporeans are not very smart so there is opportunity for them in the lion city.

My person experience to share. We were having an invited only business dinner of several tables in a restaurant. We all stood and chat and waited for the Senior Chinese member of the contingent to sit then we sit since they are the host. When in Rome we have to follow the Roman's way of life. Instead, several Singaporean junior officers from the civil services tagging along their senior for this trip, sat down before anyone and started drinking and chatting among themselves. The Lau Chio were shocked. This is but one of the unfortunate impression we give to our neighbours. Hence, when they "kill us" there is nothing to blink an eye about.

We should be proud of our achievements but we should not be boastful. Singaporeans unfortunately tend to be living in their own world. Bombarded by news every so often that we are the best here and there, these make us very cocky. Many of these type of Singaporeans are being put in their place once they have to work in another country such as China and India.

I deal a lot with courier companies and one of them is SF (China), and shocked to find Singaporeans having to move out of Singapore and to Beijing to work for SF. I met one such Singaporean. I asked him and he replied. No job for him in Singapore and the Singapore salary is poor.

Such is the complexity of reasoning for individual decisions.

Edited by Still2016
  • Praise 9

Singapore is seen as the ASEAN - China coordinator/mediator and this SCS issue has been a thorn among many of the ASEAN members, our pm decided to try and bring this subject to maybe bring about some dialogue which he hoped to maybe bring about a peaceful solution, I would not say its his fault for trying. And from the statement it seems that a lot of the effected Asean nations wanted this to be on the agenda and expressed their interest as so.

As the claimed China/Asean coordinator if we only get involved on the good things that happen in region and china and shun the bad its sending a message to the Asean partner that Singapore is just China's yes man. China news may criticize Singapore all they want but what does our Asean partners think of this move? And the question at the end of day is do we as Singaporeans support our other Asean partners when they have such a concern?

In this SCS issue China is a bully, but as any scenario a typical bully gets pushed back when the people he is bullying get together to push back as a unity. And that is why they do not want this as an Asean agenda.

actually its not like some bro say we need to do U turn and suck china c--- la.

not to that extreme,

but we should be wise not to step on their toes at least right.

now we done exactly that,   

• Praise 3

Err. . You have any doubt that they are willing to destroy Taiwan if need be? Singapore is nothing compared.

All things you described can be found elsewhere by them.

• Praise 1

Their infrastructure projects are fueled by the need to consume and not of an expansionary nature which leads to overcapacity.

Again this is needed to provide jobs and project for various companies who are on a staggering debt partly from state government or shadow  banking which alone is a mind boggling links of criss cross of money which changed hands from the peasants to the middleman to the broker to the banks etc etc which leads to some form of non performing loan to some crappy company that survives on such expansion.

Sure if they throw trillions of dollars trying to make Singapore and everyone un-competitive that will likely happen, but in doing so you will need to undercut everyone and how long can that be sustained before the debt level goes boom? Already the system is showing cracks in the slowing economy. What goes up big and fast and will also come down in a similiar fashion.

As for finance Singapore is a Wealth hub mainly with money mainly from Asean countries (mostly Indo), China and India, how many rich people from these countries will place their funds with China? 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2