Need help on insurance !

Boonroro

Bro...TS already say he is employed as a part time driver. He is a student with a 2 yr driving licence.

Hehe. I was replying to a post from before TS said that.

Noted.

↡ Advertisement

Hehe. I was replying to a post from before TS said that.

Noted.

no prob......this thread is good in raising awareness for employees especially those just starting to be employed.

Hi guys, I know this is unrelated but I need help ! I am currently working part time as a Lorry driver and accidentally damage the sign of height limit in the loading bay due to negligence. My supervisor told me that I don't have insurance cover for me after my accident as I am a part timer, And the private settlement for the sign board cost around 3600SGD and I am quite lost as I am currently just a student working part time, is there any other solution for me to resolve this ? T_T

Firstly, no insurance for part timer is BS. Every employee, be it part or full time should be covered for job related accident. Your employer is not being very honest here. There should be something like an appointment letter that can prove that you are working for the company don't you? Like most said, throw this back to you company and maybe give a call to MOM and see if they can help.

Unless you drive the vehicle without authorization, the company is liable.
Whether you have a contract with them, it is not important.
Most important is that you obtain authorization from the company and thus, the company is vicariously liable for your action.

Motor insurance is compulsory.
Thus, your company has insurance.
You do not have to worry whether that insurance covers you because the first para has explained it sufficiently.

If they have an excess to pay to their insurer, the company may ask you to reimburse them.
Whether to pay a not, is up to you.
After all, you do not have any contract with them and thus, they cannot sue you under employment contract (no contract bites both ways [laugh] ).

However, you may have accumulated some salary with them and thus, if the amount is small, it's better to get some money back after deducting the excess.

Edited by OrEmuN

Bro...TS already say he is employed as a part time driver. He is a student with a 2 yr driving licence.

2 years lorry license? Think that is key point..

Turbocharged

Then the solution is not to go for private settlement I guess.

Cannot anyhow deduct the excess from TS - there is a cap which in this case is quite negligible.

If TS is really driving w/o a license, he should go to jail.

See my post above. They can indeed deduct salary for "honest mistakes" but subject to a cap.

Wow!! 

thanks for the good and accurate info

That really sucks!  And to my mind is bullying on the part of the company to do so unless there is something like "gross negligence" 

And further - you just "know" that a part time driver is NOT going to get a fair hearing like this...

Thank you all for your respond, I already wrote an email to the other company explaining my situation waiting for his reply. And will decide again on what to do. As for my own company I am just a part timer and didn't sign any contract because it just a temporary job for a month, and I have an class 3 Driving License that is almost 2 year now ! And I was driving a class 3 Lorry not exceeding 2500KG

How many days have you work for your company,if not long just leave the company forfeiting your pay and let the company handle with the other party.There's nothing the company will do to you since no sign contract of employment.

• Praise 1