Aisin Gearbox

Nlatio

Turbocharged

Hi Bro

Any idea which Japanese, Korean, Conti model usese the Aisin GB?? 

I know Lexus?, Citreon GP... any other?? 

↡ Advertisement

Another famous Japanese brand Gearbox is the Jatco....i think owned by Nissan...

Yes, part of Nissan but supposedly spun off, not sure if Nissan still holds 100% indirectly.

My Legacy used a jatco JR507. Not the most efficient (slushy compared to say the ZF boxes) but very smooth and very reliable.

Yes, part of Nissan but supposedly spun off, not sure if Nissan still holds 100% indirectly.

My Legacy used a jatco JR507. Not the most efficient (slushy compared to say the ZF boxes) but very smooth and very reliable.

Agree.

I find Subaru's automatic gearboxes 'slushy'

But their current range all CVT - I'd stay away from these

• Praise 2

PDK 7-speed leh?

one gear lesser wor ...

Merc got 9-inches .... oops i mean 9-speed

ZF 8HP FTW!!!

aisin old fashion 

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 1

I have always like to read threads on such subject because of the various 'views' offered. But I also can't understand why so many established manufacturers continue to produce GB or engines that have inherent problems whilst there are others without problem on the road? Patented technology after so many years?

If their GB and Engines are really that fragile, why are they still in the market producing them in the hundreds of thousands with willing buyers? Maybe one day, most cars manufacturers will simply buy parts from suppliers to assemble them, just like what we are seeing in electronics.

• Praise 1

I have always like to read threads on such subject because of the various 'views' offered. But I also can't understand why so many established manufacturers continue to produce GB or engines that have inherent problems whilst there are others without problem on the road? Patented technology after so many years?

If their GB and Engines are really that fragile, why are they still in the market producing them in the hundreds of thousands with willing buyers? Maybe one day, most cars manufacturers will simply buy parts from suppliers to assemble them, just like what we are seeing in electronics.

Simple. All in the name of faster and more economical.

A gearbox that can shift faster and more fuel efficient dan a regular automatic gearbox. Who don't want?

If your car can out accelerate the other car of the same specs. You feel good what and it puts a smile on your face. LoL...

I was being sacarstic.

It's obviously a gimmick or marketing. Accelerating faster by a few milliseconds ppl also want it. You can see ppl's attraction to "power". Look at some car reviews. They are always comparing which car can go faster. But in reality there's no prize in driving faster on regular roads, only summon or fine.

Car makers come out with something new, claims all kinds of benefit, ppl are sold....until they use it and found out that it's not reliable dispite all the claims. The car makers are out to exploit the minds of drivers today.

Power loss thru transmissions is about 20% but car makers do not tell you that. For an electric car there are not gearbox so minimal power loss. So no matter how the car makers market their gearbox there's that power loss thru transmission.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 4

Turbocharged

Hi Bro

Any idea which Japanese, Korean, Conti model usese the Aisin GB?? 

I know Lexus?, Citreon GP... any other?? 

Lexus, Peugeot PureTech models (branded a QuickShift gearbox), newer Citroen models (related to Peugeot), BMW 216d.

Volvo also speculated to be using the 8-speed Aisin.

The Koreans use their own gearbox known as A6MF2, and have recently develop their own 8-speed.

• Praise 3

This A6MF2 (6 speed torque converter) is only good and efficient for highway cruising. Max speed in 6th gear is about 130kph. To get higher you have to kick it in 5th gear in manual mode.

Fuel consumption suffers when driving on SG roads (when applied to 1.6L korean car)

Lexus, Peugeot PureTech models (branded a QuickShift gearbox), newer Citroen models (related to Peugeot), BMW 216d.

Volvo also speculated to be using the 8-speed Aisin.

The Koreans use their own gearbox known as A6MF2, and have recently develop their own 8-speed.

• Praise 3

Turbocharged

This A6MF2 (6 speed torque converter) is only good and efficient for highway cruising. Max speed in 6th gear is about 130kph. To get higher you have to kick it in 5th gear in manual mode.

Fuel consumption suffers when driving on SG roads (when applied to 1.6L korean car)

OIC.

Hmmm what type of ride pair with what GB is good for our road?? Hybrid?? But Hybrid...errrr.... also don't really like CVT esp for B&B ride.... [confused]

• Praise 1

Frankly if you ask me, the ancient Toyota 4 speed is more than enough for SG roads.

The korean 6 speed auto is inefficient is because its TCU (transmission control unit) is programmed to upshift at every available opportunity, which is not suitable to SG roads at all because it will then end up shifting up and down countless times to cater for start-stop traffic. And this causes poor fuel consumption.

I am currently getting 10.x km/L on SG roads. And the occassional 11km/L if I use the expressways a lot during that particular tank of petrol.

But on NSH, it's a dream. I can get 13-15km/L at speeds of between 110 to 130km/h.

OIC.

Hmmm what type of ride pair with what GB is good for our road?? Hybrid?? But Hybrid...errrr.... also don't really like CVT esp for B&B ride.... [confused]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3