Fat vs Carbs

Ender

You can eat as much sugar or fat as you like but never together especially in a 50 - 50 ratio.

Say you wanted to eat sugar and keep spooning into your mouth.

After a few spoons you would stop and cannot take it anymore.

Say you wanted to eat fat and drank unsweetened cream and

after a few mouthfuls its so rich you would stop.

They fed both to rats one at a time and the rats didn't get fat.

Now to get fat just combine both. Add the sugar to the cream

and better still freeze it and you can eat really a lot of it. Me I can

eat those Hagaan Dass tubs all by myself. Another 50 50 combo

is cheesecake, I can finish a Sara Lee whole box in a day, every day.

The other 50 50 combo is glazed donuts. Three, four at a time no problem.

They fed cheesecake to rats (they should have used humans for this kind

of cruel experiments) and all the rats became obese.

The simple fact is the human brain has no switch off button for sugar and fat

in 50 - 50 combination. Eating sugar your brain will stop you, eating fat your

brain will stop you. But the brain has no stop signal for ice cream, cheesecake

glazed donuts etc and that's why people become fat.

:D

I watched a TV show where they did an experiment. Offered random people any donut they wanted. The plain glazed donut was the winner. Cos its fat and sugar ratio is the most ideal.
↡ Advertisement

Ghostami

Posted Today, 01:35 PM

For me is no rice and starchy stuff, take away those plus sugar I hardly put on weight even without any exercise.

Hi buddy, are you a fan of fruits like me? If yes, do you notice if the sugar from fruits add to your weight?

I take little fruits, veges and meat is my favourite lol..

fructose like i mentioned along with those sugar like sucrose and glucose.

Think those scholars in Health Promotion Board need to rethink what they are promoting  [grouphug]

Think those scholars in Health Promotion Board need to rethink what they are promoting [grouphug]

I lost trust in them long ago.

Just flip the food pyramid upside down and enjoy the benefits.

• Praise 1

eat everything in moderation, and exercise regularly. even if you dont put on weight from your daily diet without (s)exercise [laugh], doesnt mean you dont need an active lifestyle.

ok im going for a jog [:p]

• Praise 2

eat everything in moderation, and exercise regularly. even if you dont put on weight from your daily diet without (s)exercise [laugh], doesnt mean you dont need an active lifestyle.

ok im going for a jog [:p]

Agree but getting old also means can't exercise as hard when young  [:p]

I lost trust in them long ago.

Just flip the food pyramid upside down and enjoy the benefits.

like i said before, the japanese must have gotten something damn wrong.

All of them living relatively healthy into their 80-100+  years old. Gosh, they only eat short grain rice for 3 meals a day.

Damn, they must be doing something damn wrong  [rolleyes]

Follow what you guys want to follow, LCHF is not a panacea. And please don't make it out to be so.

There's nothing wrong with carbs, it's just that we over consume it.

Edited by Lala81

Turbocharged

like i said before, the japanese must have gotten something damn wrong.

All of them living relatively healthy into their 80-100+  years old. Gosh, they only eat short grain rice for 3 meals a day.

Damn, they must be doing something damn wrong  [rolleyes]

Follow what you guys want to follow, LCHF is not a panacea. And please don't make it out to be so.

There's nothing wrong with carbs, it's just that we over consume it.

but we must also realise it is the older generation who are living long lives. We can't say the same for those born in the 60s and 70s yet as they are not at that same age group right now. The existing Japanese diet has prob changed somewhat from the olden days. So those born from 70s onwards might not enjoy the same benefits of a traditional Jap diet due to popularity of Western diet, processed snacks etc. Only time will tell.

Actually if you look at the Jap traditional diet, there is not that much carbs even though they take rice prob 3 x a day. it is only one small bowl, together with small piece of tofu, some raw cabbage and a small piece of animal protein. Together with fresh air, some hard labour and less stress, this prob contributed to their longevity. You'll see many older folks going hiking etc and some of them walk really fast. A more communal lifestyle in villages, smaller towns prob contributed to overall well being as well (this was a factor highlighted in a documentary I just watched when they associated communal involvement in Costa Rita as a key to longevity).

Compare that to SG folks who are generally less active. Our waistlines are becoming bigger as we lead a more sedentary lifestyle. I am sure you see that even in your office where esp middle aged men/women seem to balloon at the waist within 1 year. Well, at least I notice it. We are also becoming less kampong living generally speaking.

Less carbs will prob do our body some good. Not eat till we burst is prob another thing we should take note of. And exercise 3 x a week too at 80% max heart rate. I am also trying to practise that on a daily basis.

Wishing everyone a better life!!!

• Praise 4

but we must also realise it is the older generation who are living long lives. We can't say the same for those born in the 60s and 70s yet as they are not at that same age group right now. The existing Japanese diet has prob changed somewhat from the olden days. So those born from 70s onwards might not enjoy the same benefits of a traditional Jap diet due to popularity of Western diet, processed snacks etc. Only time will tell.

Actually if you look at the Jap traditional diet, there is not that much carbs even though they take rice prob 3 x a day. it is only one small bowl, together with small piece of tofu, some raw cabbage and a small piece of animal protein. Together with fresh air, some hard labour and less stress, this prob contributed to their longevity. You'll see many older folks going hiking etc and some of them walk really fast. A more communal lifestyle in villages, smaller towns prob contributed to overall well being as well (this was a factor highlighted in a documentary I just watched when they associated communal involvement in Costa Rita as a key to longevity).

Compare that to SG folks who are generally less active. Our waistlines are becoming bigger as we lead a more sedentary lifestyle. I am sure you see that even in your office where esp middle aged men/women seem to balloon at the waist within 1 year. Well, at least I notice it. We are also becoming less kampong living generally speaking.

Less carbs will prob do our body some good. Not eat till we burst is prob another thing we should take note of. And exercise 3 x a week too at 80% max heart rate. I am also trying to practise that on a daily basis.

What you say is correct. It's moderation and knowing what are the healthier choices to make in life.

It's clear that asians who have moved to the west, follow the western dietary afflictions. But I say it simply, it's not carbs = poison despite what some of the believers of this thread are saying.

That's exactly right. And the portion of rice are small.

I think the secret to diet is small portions and lots of

different varieties especially different type of veg and

fruit. There is always a slice of water melon or orange

at the end of the meal. 

:D

• Praise 2

(edited)

I also think in everything in moderation. But carb has to be severely moderated whe you take sedentary lifestyle in considerarion. Normal one bowl or plate is too much. When I eat cai png, it is always half rice, not 少饭. Seldom eat desert. And I consider myself physically more active. So I think those eating a full meal is too much carb, especially later add on desert.

Edited by Ender

Turbocharged

I also think in everything in moderation. But carb has to be severely moderated whe you take sedentary lifestyle in considerarion. Normal one bowl or plate is too much. When I eat cai png, it is always half rice, not 少饭. Seldom eat desert. And I consider myself physically more active. So I think those eating a full meal is too much carb, especially later add on desert.

agree, the cai png rice portion is too much. half shd be sufficient but i think our stomachs have expanded so much that half a plate is really not enough. therefore, need to gradually reduce over a period of weeks for those who are overweight.

asian food is very carb based. look at what we eat for breakfast: bee hoon, chee chiong fun, don't know what kueh kueh, mee rebus, mee soto, chye tow kueh, roti prata, fish ball noodle, wanton noodle et etc.

if we look closely at the components of those food, the calorie intake is coming mainly from carbs (at least 80 to 90%). the protein proportion is very small (discounting the fat contribution for the time being). It's very difficult to break out from this carb routine if our breakfast is consumed outside at a hawker centre. The HPB promotion of fishball bee hoon as a healthier alternative is BS (unless you compare it to chye tow kueh). There is hardly any protein in fishball bee hoon.

not many people can do it but we should just stop taking soft drinks. it's just empty calories and it destroys our teeth. And it costs at least $1.20 even from a normal coffee shop. I rather spend that money on a banana (I am not a fan of cut fruits as not sure how long it has been cut and sitting in the fridge already).

paiseh. my language sounds crude and too tactless. but my true thoughts. i try to practise what i type above. I still eat my cai png but with no sauce in my rice. breakfast 6 days a week at home - variety of eggs, mushrooms, spinach, canned tuna/sardine with bread. no soft drinks. no cut fruits or fruit juice. but i'll probably die early and in pain brought on by work stress though.

• Praise 1

Agree but getting old also means can't exercise as hard when young [:p]

haha so true. younger days was always mind over body.

nowdays in the middle of my run i always think of excuses to run slower lol

I'm not a dietitian but from what i read from news reports, that amino acids from high protein foods will reduce the glucose absorption from rice/noodles.

So chicken/fish/tofu will be a good complement to meals. But as guys, go easy on the soya. Lol got phyto-estrogens  [laugh]  [:p]

That's why i don't let my boy eat too much even though he absolutely loves it.

Turbocharged

I'm not a dietitian but from what i read from news reports, that amino acids from high protein foods will reduce the glucose absorption from rice/noodles.

is the reduced glucose absorption good or bad? i guess it's good since it stabilises glucose level in the blood?

is the reduced glucose absorption good or bad? i guess it's good since it stabilises glucose level in the blood?

It's good. Prevent spikes in glucose

I think more correct might be reduce rate of glucose absorption from carbs (instead of really reducing amount of glucose absorption). But this is from what i gleaned from the recent HPB push for brown rice.

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 1

Brown rice is very good? It's just carbs with more minerals compared to white rice.

Nothing wrong with eating carbs. It's just healthier when one eat less of it.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1