Singapore Underwater World diver killed by stingray

Jman888

UWS opened in 1991 and closed 3 months ago in Jun 16, leaving about 10 staff to take care of the place.

The accident happened when preparing some marine creatures to be sent to new homes. On hindsight, it is very risky to be 'rounding' up sting rays as they will strike with their venom when seriously threatened.

RIP.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Heard this sad news on radio.

Job hazards.

But his life must have been very fulfilled, for someone to do that for 25 yrs, very likely it's something he love and lived for.

RIP

• Praise 1

Would wearing a bullet proof vest help?

Not trying to be funny but concern for safety.

Rip.....

Next time feed the fish must wear this one :grin:

01978b2e28dd2d5f9f7c88608f9c8e44.jpg

• Praise 3

Every job has its risk including our moderator who moonlight as an undertaker.

We trade our time and sometimes our lives to earn money. If that money earn is put into good use like bringing up a family is a great thing.

Unfortunately I have seen some staff in my company eat instant noodles and "steal" pantry food to save to buy the next LV or Coach bag. Then we have guys who dare not join the rest for lunch because they bought a car to stroke their own ego. The question is who benefits.

I feel real sorry for soldiers who do the bidding of their desk bound generals. They risk limbs and their lives to protect what?

Look at World War I and I I, how many soldiers died. For what? In the end the warring countries also become friends again.

I know the following reasoning may be warp but does anybody really feel sorry for the animals. Birds are meant to fly the sky and not trapped in a cage to sing for us, dolphins and killer whales including many zoo animals are screaming to be be free. VET now realized just as humans these animals also have stress disorder syndromes.

If anyone has seen how cows (beef), pig (pork - not our porker friend here) and chickens are reared and killed for their meat. To think everyday about 10 odd millions chickens sold in supermarket are thrown away because of expiration date. I am not a vegetarian.

If we all had respected animals and not caged them for entertainment will the poor diver had lost his life. He is just doing a job but those on top with authority and power should be responsible for planet.

I am disturbed that my generation may have failed badly because the next generation has become worse which should have been better. We have too much individualism and too much material pursues among our younger generation. Sorry world we may have just failed you as a generation.

Too bad you can't hire all of us...
  • Praise 1

Agree with you fully that animals reared today are "factory like" and no more of the Nursery Rhyme type as in Old MacDonalds had a farm ....hiya Hiya Ho!  

and that this fast food chains are the biggest culprits in thier doing and in the name of globalisation and trending fashion and coming up with GM foods  

Same way with the friendly mama shop in the corner or "lima kaki"  they are history now , kenna makan by NTUC, Giant and others   

Then again on the other sides you also have very strong animal rights activists too demanding more rights, education and less painful kills....... and though still a long way to go.....with shark fins, dog meat, bile extraction thing and whales just to name a few.  

Even i heard once in our own zoo we have had casualty also i remember and also once an elephant also injured a trainer whom has known him so well ..... incidents or accidents happen    

We trade our time and sometimes our lives to earn money. If that money earn is put into good use like bringing up a family is a great thing.

Unfortunately I have seen some staff in my company eat instant noodles and "steal" pantry food to save to buy the next LV or Coach bag. Then we have guys who dare not join the rest for lunch because they bought a car to stroke their own ego. The question is who benefits.

I feel real sorry for soldiers who do the bidding of their desk bound generals. They risk limbs and their lives to protect what?

Look at World War I and I I, how many soldiers died. For what? In the end the warring countries also become friends again.

I know the following reasoning may be warp but does anybody really feel sorry for the animals. Birds are meant to fly the sky and not trapped in a cage to sing for us, dolphins and killer whales including many zoo animals are screaming to be be free. VET now realized just as humans these animals also have stress disorder syndromes.

If anyone has seen how cows (beef), pig (pork - not our porker friend here) and chickens are reared and killed for their meat. To think everyday about 10 odd millions chickens sold in supermarket are thrown away because of expiration date. I am not a vegetarian.

If we all had respected animals and not caged them for entertainment will the poor diver had lost his life. He is just doing a job but those on top with authority and power should be responsible for planet.

I am disturbed that my generation may have failed badly because the next generation has become worse which should have been better. We have too much individualism and too much material pursues among our younger generation. Sorry world we may have just failed you as a generation.

• Praise 1

Zoos and natural reserves are meant to bring awareness to people whom have little contact with wildlife. Some can even inspire young kids to become conservationist when they grow up. These places are great to see the animals in person and appreciate them as what they are and maybe, do your part to help on conservation. I do see a lot of people misbehave in zoos which I think is a very wrong  mentality.

The man who lost his life must have been an animal lover to work over 20 years taking care of these animals. Like Steve Irwin, I hope their lives will inspire others to stop buying illegal animal products and also stop eating sharks fin.

Industrial farming is a different matter. Yes, its cruel. Most people know it but choose not to think about it cos they need meat on the table. I have a dvd documentary at home, try lending to my friends to watch but they reject. lol.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1