• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic | 0 praises

Posted 08 October 2016 - 10:39 PM

Z_Dash
  • Z_Dash
    2nd Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Any bros here tried connecting small solar panels (18v) like 4W or so to trickle charge your battery especially if you seldom drives?

Do you connect the solar panel directly to battery with the wires to car still connected?

What voltage/wattage solar panel you you use?

When your car starts, will the alternator power kill the solar panel if you leave it there?

Posted 10 October 2016 - 04:08 PM

Watwheels
  • Premium member
    Watwheels
    2Fast2Furious
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

s-l225.jpg

I bought a 2.5W solar charger for fun to trickle charge when I park at my workplace since it's open space. I'm using the power socket situated at the back of my car. It's live whether I on or off the ignition so I do not have to connect to the battery direct. I just use the sucker cups and paste it on my car's rear windscreen (I'm driving a wagon type vehicle btw). Yes, the panel is placed within the car. It has a green led light to indicate there's power.

I think it works. There's a bigger 5W capacity kit I think that may be better. You may get someone to hardwire the charging cable (with a power socket) direct from the battery to your dashboard so that you can mount it on your front windscreen. Remeber to add a fuse or you may use one of the accessories cable for the connection. Note: the connection has to be live even after you have off the ignition in order to charge the battery.

Best is to disconnect when you switch on the ignition as your charger will become redundant when the alternator kicks in. You do not want to damage your solar panel. From the reviews it's also advisable to disconnect totally at night as it will draw some power to the led light.

The chosen one will bring balance to the Force...I mean Singapore. Even star wars do not reserve "the chosen one" to a sith lord or a jedi or a wookie.

Posted 11 October 2016 - 10:18 AM

Yeobh
  • Yeobh
    Supercharged
    Author Image

These info may be of help to you.

Attached Thumbnails

• Temp1 .jpg
  • Temp .jpg

Visit My Facebook for the latest automotive breaking news & innovative specialty tools.

Back to Accessories  ·  Aftermarket Top Reply to this topic

Quick Reply

Tags: solar, charger, battery, panels and 3 more...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users