Samsung Electronics Co. has temporarily halted production of its troubled Galaxy Note 7, according to a person familiar with the matter, the latest setback for the South Korean technology giant as it struggles to manage a recall of 2.5 million smartphones.
The move comes after a spate of fresh reports of overheating and fires with phones that have been distributed to replace the original devices, which also had a risk of catching fire.
In a statement Monday in Seoul, Samsung said that it was “temporarily adjusting the Galaxy Note 7 production schedule in order to take further steps to ensure quality and safety matters,” without elaborating.
The production halt underscores the growing seriousness with which Samsung is dealing with its largest product recall to date. Last month, Samsung officials shrugged off reports of overheated batteries, calling the incidents “isolated cases” related to issues of mass production.
In a separate statement a few days later, the company said in response to reports about abnormal battery charging levels in its replacement phones that “the issue does not pose a safety concern.”
While Samsung hasn’t confirmed the latest reports of problems with its replacement phones, it said in a statement Sunday that it was working with authorities including the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission to investigate the new incidents.