<Bloomberg News Leak> SPH Retrenchment Coming

Jellandross

My take is that print will not die this decade nor the next 2 decades at least.

Its a question of what they print, and where they print, not whether they print.

Whats going to happen, is a lower reliance on human labor, to a point where, the propensital cost is equivalent to a non human source. Another thing they need to do is trim the the management layers.

I think there are too many of them. Impedes the speed overall.

Real Estate is dead for now in my opinion, so the value is priced in already.

It helps that the cash flows from real estate remains relatively stable

On the topic of oppotunity, SPH has the power and expertise to go overseas (emerging economies), they need to that. EMs require tons of print.

I would also agree that i was caught a little off guard as i didnt expect the sizaeble drop in revs for 3rQ 2016. But this is not SPH specific. The GDP as a whole is down 4%. So what can i say...

I think we need to brace ourselves for a bit of turbulence the next 12 months at least.

I am seeing GDP shrink by another 2-3% 4Q2016 bringing us to a real recession, technical or otherwise.

It tough holding on to so much cash, proportionately, but i'd rather lose a few percentage points to inflation than a lot more to the market.

One of the most sensible answer so far. For those that says print is is dead, I wonder how many are actually in the industry. Dead based on what? just because you don't read papers anymore means its dead?
There are many traditional advertisers who are still very much reliant to print. And for these big players, it works well for them and will continue to do so in the near future.

Forget about the smaller businesses that are forsaking print for digital exclusive campaigns, they don't cause a dent and don't have big budgets to start with. 
And for the naive few that thinks just because people doesn't read newspapers as much as they used to, and that subscription is king, they must be a sheep in the media jungle. 

The whole economy is affected so it comes no surprise that business conditions are challenging, most industries sees dips in their profit and cost cutting is essential. That's just life isn't it?   
I do agree that print alone is sunset and a company that is heavily reliant just on print alone won't survive hence the need to diversify, integrate and create multi platform content.

For those who are unsympathetic towards the plights of those retrenched, do remember that they are someone elses's father/mother/son/daughter/spouse too. 
Karma is a bitch, beware.

PS: Most of the extremely vile comments are found on other online news outlets, the above comments are not so much targeted at our own folks  
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

(edited)

Just like this

https://youtu.be/xJhkX74D10M

Free for readers.

Paid Ad slots from supplier

The Senator's 3 questions on accountability is a really good litmus test to any organization in any major screw-up scenarios.

1. Have you resigned?
  2. Have you returned one nickel from the millions that you were paid?
  3. Have you fired a single senior executive?

I really wish there is such an avenue in SG to address all our past and present screw-ups.

My take is that print will not die this decade nor the next 2 decades at least.

Its a question of what they print, and where they print, not whether they print.

Whats going to happen, is a lower reliance on human labor, to a point where, the propensital cost is equivalent to a non human source. Another thing they need to do is trim the the management layers.

I think there are too many of them. Impedes the speed overall.

Real Estate is dead for now in my opinion, so the value is priced in already.

It helps that the cash flows from real estate remains relatively stable

On the topic of oppotunity, SPH has the power and expertise to go overseas (emerging economies), they need to that. EMs require tons of print.

I would also agree that i was caught a little off guard as i didnt expect the sizaeble drop in revs for 3rQ 2016. But this is not SPH specific. The GDP as a whole is down 4%. So what can i say...

I think we need to brace ourselves for a bit of turbulence the next 12 months at least.

I am seeing GDP shrink by another 2-3% 4Q2016 bringing us to a real recession, technical or otherwise.

It tough holding on to so much cash, proportionately, but i'd rather lose a few percentage points to inflation than a lot more to the market.

You should consider starting a regular economy advisory thread on top of your Lolex thread  [thumbsup]

If at anytime you find it too tough to hold on to too much cash, I'm more than happy to help out.

Edited by Jellandross
  • Praise 2

AMDK talk nia ... simi hearing simi grilled by senator

at the end of the day ... all laughing to the bank with million ... sorry it's hundreds of millions ...

all bo tai chi ... and live like a king happily ever after ...

lehman ceo what happen?

jp morgan ceo what happen?

goldman ceo what happen?

answer is nothing ...

wells fargo were fined millions every year ... i repeat every year and shit continues ...

The Senator's 3 questions on accountability is a really good litmus test to any organization in any major screw-up scenarios.

1. Have you resigned?
  2. Have you returned one nickel from the millions that you were paid?
  3. Have you fired a single senior executive?

I really wish there is such an avenue in SG to address all our past and present screw-ups.

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 3

(edited)

AMDK talk nia ... simi hearing simi grilled by senator

at the end of the day ... all laughing to the bank with million ... sorry it's hundreds of millions ...

all bo tai chi ... and live like a king happily ever after ...

lehman ceo what happen?

jp morgan ceo what happen?

goldman ceo what happen?

answer is nothing ...

wells fargo were fined millions every year ... i repeat every year and shit continues ...

That's true. As long as a person can attain CxO level position in big corp, paycheck of millions is confirm bao jiak one whether good job or screw up.  At that level, they're in the trusted inner circle so even if screw up something, they'll take care of each other.  Unless ended up like Enron CEO, otherwise getting paid millions as part of their package after major screw up is the norm.  That's how things are being played up at that level.

The point of such hearing is about more transparency to peasants like me. I get to be aware about dirty laundries happening at higher level and hopefully be wiser about our reality thereafter.  No punishment doesn't mean a hearing shouldn't be conducted.  They are two different things.  

Edited by Jellandross

That's true. As long as a person can attain CxO level position in big corp, paycheck of millions is confirm bao jiak one whether good job or screw up.  At that level, they're in the trusted inner circle so even if screw up something, they'll take care of each other.  Unless ended up like Enron CEO, otherwise getting paid millions as part of their package after major screw up is the norm.  That's how things are being played up at that level.

The point of such hearing is about more transparency to peasants like me. I get to be aware about dirty laundries happening at higher level and hopefully be wiser about our reality thereafter.  No punishment doesn't mean a hearing shouldn't be conducted.  They are two different things.  

we also the same , just ask our mrt ceo . [rifle]

Just like this

https://youtu.be/xJhkX74D10M

Free for readers.

Paid Ad slots from supplier

man..... would love to see her talk to all our company destroying mindef scholars CEOs, who screw up again and again, collect millions, and get rotated to one golden chair after another.

• Praise 1

That's true. As long as a person can attain CxO level position in big corp, paycheck of millions is confirm bao jiak one whether good job or screw up. At that level, they're in the trusted inner circle so even if screw up something, they'll take care of each other. Unless ended up like Enron CEO, otherwise getting paid millions as part of their package after major screw up is the norm. That's how things are being played up at that level.

The point of such hearing is about more transparency to peasants like me. I get to be aware about dirty laundries happening at higher level and hopefully be wiser about our reality thereafter. No punishment doesn't mean a hearing shouldn't be conducted. They are two different things.

my point is simi hearing simi throw paper is nothing more than a "big show" - sibei wayang

senator air time to show their dua keeness and claim political mileage

i almost puke watching the senator hearing when they said every nickel counts ...

having said that ... i agree that hearing is a must for transparency and accountability even for show

but my point is all the big shots are "protected" - not everyone is equal ... "birds of a feather flock together"

Edited by Wt_know

(edited)

my point is simi hearing simi throw paper is nothing more than a "big show" - sibei wayang

senator air time to show their dua keeness and claim political mileage

i almost puke watching the senator hearing when they said every nickel counts ...

having said that ... i agree that hearing is a must for transparency and accountability even for show

but my point is all the big shots are "protected" - not everyone is equal ... "birds of a feather flock together"

"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others"

- George Orwell

Edited by Jellandross
  • Praise 1

"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others"

- George Orwell

The lead antagonist of this book reminds me of a certain ex-CEO of a national shipping company.  [grin]

Coincidentally, he is now rewarded with a directorship of SPH after failing spectacularly as the CEO of a national shipping company. [rolleyes]  

• Praise 1

You should consider starting a regular economy advisory thread on top of your Lolex thread [thumbsup]

If at anytime you find it too tough to hold on to too much cash, I'm more than happy to help out.

Cannot lah, bro. Not qualified.

Thank you thank you for seeing me so up

I am just a jobless nobody trying to eke out a living with my investments.

Cash, i hold on very tightly, you will hv no chance to help out.

Heehee

Edited by Throttle2

Curious. How come the attitude to this news is generally orbi good or nonchalance whereas other retrenchment news are usually met with sympathy?

Anyway, business is business. When your business is parroting govt propaganda and sensationalising stories, I guess the business case just doesn't exist anymore when we can just visit blogs or forums for the same or better info.

Similarly, who would buy fhm when you can get better quality photos of better quality girls on Instagram and Facebook?

Edited by Karoon

One of the most sensible answer so far. For those that says print is is dead, I wonder how many are actually in the industry. Dead based on what? just because you don't read papers anymore means its dead?

There are many traditional advertisers who are still very much reliant to print. And for these big players, it works well for them and will continue to do so in the near future.

Forget about the smaller businesses that are forsaking print for digital exclusive campaigns, they don't cause a dent and don't have big budgets to start with.

And for the naive few that thinks just because people doesn't read newspapers as much as they used to, and that subscription is king, they must be a sheep in the media jungle.

The whole economy is affected so it comes no surprise that business conditions are challenging, most industries sees dips in their profit and cost cutting is essential. That's just life isn't it?

I do agree that print alone is sunset and a company that is heavily reliant just on print alone won't survive hence the need to diversify, integrate and create multi platform content.

For those who are unsympathetic towards the plights of those retrenched, do remember that they are someone elses's father/mother/son/daughter/spouse too.

Karma is a bitch, beware.

PS: Most of the extremely vile comments are found on other online news outlets, the above comments are not so much targeted at our own folks

You sound like an insider, so what is good entry level for SPH?

Sorry don't get what you mean by good entry level, care to elaborate ?

he wants to know what price he should buy the share at.

Anyone know what happens to subscriber to TNP print and digital platform? I still have a contract till Mar 2017. But TNP going to be free in Dec 2016. Must I continue to pay and pay monthly for free content? [dead]  [bigcry] 

No announcement to faithful TNP subscriber at all.  [thumbsdown]

Anyone know what happens to subscriber to TNP print and digital platform? I still have a contract till Mar 2017. But TNP going to be free in Dec 2016. Must I continue to pay and pay monthly for free content? [dead]  [bigcry] 

No announcement to faithful TNP subscriber at all.  [thumbsdown]

There will be refund of course, you will be receiving letters from SPH's circulation dept soon. 

The refund process is not straight foward, having to take into consideration certain factors like mode of payment (pre paid or recurring), etc As such, refunds will only take effect from Dec onwards.
  • Praise 1

There will be refund of course, you will be receiving letters from SPH's circulation dept soon. 

The refund process is not straight foward, having to take into consideration certain factors like mode of payment (pre paid or recurring), etc As such, refunds will only take effect from Dec onwards.

Thanks for the info. [thumbsup]

↡ Advertisement