Huawei phone / tablet

antelop

It's good and gets the job done. Battery life is pretty decent, although I don't know if that's because the phone is new. Even with connection to wifi, smart watch and Bluetooth earphone I am mostly able to get by a full working day.

The camera is good too, although HDR can't be left on as default.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Huawei has surpassed Apple as the world’s second largest smartphone brand

Huawei, China’s leading smartphone maker, surpassed Apple’s global smartphone sales for the first time in June and July, according to analysis by consulting firm Counterpoint Research. Huawei is now only behind Samsung in sales, and Counterpoint says that’s thanks to the company’s consistent investment in R&D and manufacturing, as well as aggressive and creative marketing (including this KFC phone).

Figures haven’t been released yet for August, though Counterpoint indicates sales for that month also look strong. However, it’s worth noting that with Apple’s new iPhone releases just around the corner, the iPhone maker is almost certain to get back on top in September.

Researchers at Counterpoint also point out that Huawei has a weak presence in the South Asian, Indian, and North American markets, which “limits Huawei’s potential to the near-to-mid-term to take a sustainable second place position behind Samsung.” Its strongest market is China, and it’s also popular in Europe, Latin America, and the Middle East.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/6/16259810/huawei-apple-global-smartphone-sales

in SG, for now at least, make more sense to buy apple... the only reason is resale is much better even 2 yrs down the road.

getting a premium Huawei, Oppo, Xiaomi practically means writing off the phone value.

LG too. Even Samsung phones resale prices are worse off than Apple.

the above only applies to those who will sell their phone of course

• Praise 1

in SG, for now at least, make more sense to buy apple... the only reason is resale is much better even 2 yrs down the road.

getting a premium Huawei, Oppo, Xiaomi practically means writing off the phone value.

LG too. Even Samsung phones resale prices are worse off than Apple.

the above only applies to those who will sell their phone of course

buy high, sell high.

I don't sell my phones unless they are real crap like the original S and note 4.

just saw both the huawei mate 10 and mate 10 pro.

they were place side by side and ran the same demo program.

but the screen used for the 10pro totally overshadowed the M10 ...

it made the M10 look really bad !!

just saw both the huawei mate 10 and mate 10 pro.

they were place side by side and ran the same demo program.

but the screen used for the 10pro totally overshadowed the M10 ...

it made the M10 look really bad !!

Using Mate 10 Pro now (got tired waiting for V30). My first Huawei phone. Have used Samsung, LG, Sony & HTC in the past. This Huawei is the best hands down. The only thing is the FHD (instead of 2K) screen although when I view side by side with a 2K screen can't actually see significant difference. And I miss my wide angle camera on my LG. But the in terms of IQ, the M10P is awesome especially the portrait mode.

I can go home (8pm) with still 50% of battery life. My G6 is 30% at 3pm and I have to charge at least to 80% to continue the rest of the day. So althought my QuickCharge chargers are not charging my M10P as fast (since Huawei is not using QUALCOMM) but I don't need QC in the first place since the batt can last till EOD.

I might have gotten the M10 in order to have SD card slot, 2K screen and earphone socket but it was too broad for my hands. Those with broad hands can consider that phone.

• Praise 2

Using Mate 10 Pro now (got tired waiting for V30). My first Huawei phone. Have used Samsung, LG, Sony & HTC in the past. This Huawei is the best hands down. The only thing is the FHD (instead of 2K) screen although when I view side by side with a 2K screen can't actually see significant difference. And I miss my wide angle camera on my LG. But the in terms of IQ, the M10P is awesome especially the portrait mode.

I can go home (8pm) with still 50% of battery life. My G6 is 30% at 3pm and I have to charge at least to 80% to continue the rest of the day. So althought my QuickCharge chargers are not charging my M10P as fast (since Huawei is not using QUALCOMM) but I don't need QC in the first place since the batt can last till EOD.

I might have gotten the M10 in order to have SD card slot, 2K screen and earphone socket but it was too broad for my hands. Those with broad hands can consider that phone.

I'm really torn between Mate 10 Pro vs Note 8. I'll probably wait 2 months to see if the price drops.

The Mate 10 is priced really well, but the M10pro is really close to established Note 8 prices.

100 dollars difference only outside, and this is virtually negligible considering that in 2 years time, the note 8 is likely to be still 100 dollars more in terms of trade in value ...

The M10P is a tad better for one hand use, as it's marginally thinner and lighter.

I like the 6gb ram and generally would prefer OLED (over the mate 10's LCD) though the PPI is quite low at just above 400 compared to 500+ for the Note 8. The note 8 is generally considered to be the best OLED screen out there.

But no expandable storage i can't understand ...

The best phone would be an amalgation of M10pro with M10. 6gb Ram + expandable SD card (or at least a 256gb option)

I'm ok with no earphone jack.

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 1

I'm really torn between Mate 10 Pro vs Note 8. I'll probably wait 2 months to see if the price drops.

The Mate 10 is priced really well, but the M10pro is really close to established Note 8 prices.

100 dollars difference only outside, and this is virtually negligible considering that in 2 years time, the note 8 is likely to be still 100 dollars more in terms of trade in value ...

The M10P is a tad better for one hand use, as it's marginally thinner and lighter.

I like the 6gb ram and generally would prefer OLED (over the mate 10's LCD) though the PPI is quite low at just above 400 compared to 500+ for the Note 8. The note 8 is generally considered to be the best OLED screen out there.

The best phone would be an amalgation of M10pro with M10. 6gb Ram + expandable SD card (or at least a 256gb option)

Is Huawei still using their own chipset instead of Qualcomm or Mediatek ?

For me that was a key consideration when I was looking at Huawei P10 and decided to not proceed.

Is Huawei still using their own chipset instead of Qualcomm or Mediatek ?

For me that was a key consideration when I was looking at Huawei P10 and decided to not proceed.

yup. but seems that it's fast anyway. the reviews i read, don't seem to have a problem with that.

Edited by Lala81

yup. but seems that it's fast anyway. the reviews i read, don't seem to have a problem with that.

The Leica camera is a plus point, must admit.

The Leica camera is a plus point, must admit.

it did very well in the reviews. Considered equal or slightly superior to the IP8+/Note 8 camera. 

Main attraction to me.

Edited by Lala81

the resale value 2 years down the road confirm more th $100 different, Note 8 will fetch at least $200 more   [laugh]

For me it was simple because I don't like Note 8 elongated look at all. M10P can still put in back pocket and sit down. Don't worry abt the ppi of the screen. Human eye cannot see. No sd card is not really a problem with 128gb on board. If really need to then buy those OTG device. And M10P has the excellent leica cameras.

if you don't plan to resell your phone, the Mate 10 is a pretty good choice.

They have the Porsche Design version as well.

Looks pretty good too.

https://www.techgoondu.com/2017/10/29/huawei-mate-10-pro-porsche-design-versions-singapore-november/

PORSCHE-DESIGN-HUAWEI-Mate-10-Diamond-Bl

↡ Advertisement