Huawei phone / tablet

antelop

What do you guys think of re-contracting for a phone ?

My LG G4 contract with Singtel just finished 4 months back and I realized I've been paying $68 for "nothing". I have since switched to SIM only plan with 5GB data for $22.50 (1 yr contract). It's a saving of at least $40 a month. If over a year is almost $500, almost enough to buy a good phone, albeit not the latest.

My other V20 with contract, 3GB data is not enough. So I had to pay about $10 more to upgrade to 4GB. Still it hit the limit, bcuz of my PH driving. And this add up to almost $80 per month. So I switch the phone to the $22.50 plan with 5GB data. But I'm still paying $80 until contract finish.

So, all these plans paying for phone contract really adds up, by the month.

And phone price dropped all the time. I started reading this thread, the  Mate 10Pro was like about $1k, it has since drop down to $650.

So would it be more worth it, just buying a SIM only plan and pay outright for your phone, and not get dragged down by heavy monthly payment plan ?

For me i will recon every year for the latest iphone and sell for cash and then buy the actual phone i want from far east shop. My singtel contract can recon every year.

↡ Advertisement

My LG G4 contract with Singtel just finished 4 months back and I realized I've been paying $68 for "nothing". I have since switched to SIM only plan with 5GB data for $22.50 (1 yr contract). It's a saving of at least $40 a month. If over a year is almost $500, almost enough to buy a good phone, albeit not the latest.

My other V20 with contract, 3GB data is not enough. So I had to pay about $10 more to upgrade to 4GB. Still it hit the limit, bcuz of my PH driving. And this add up to almost $80 per month. So I switch the phone to the $22.50 plan with 5GB data. But I'm still paying $80 until contract finish.

And phone price dropped all the time. I started reading this thread, the  Mate 10Pro was like about $1k, it has since drop down to $650.

So would it be more worth it, just buying a SIM only plan and pay outright for your phone, and not get dragged down by heavy monthly payment plan ?

take the sim only plan if you need more data, for Starhub they double the the data if you taker '12 month contract' on the sim only with unlimited for weekend.

http://www.starhub.com/personal/mobile/mobile-phones-plans/postpaid-plans/sim-only-plans.html

err 850 leh. where got 650. 

https://mobilesquare.com.sg/collections/huawei

i bought my s9+ without contract as well. At the $40 dollar plan level, the discounts are not really that worth it. The big phone discounts start at the $68 level.

Edited by Lala81

Supersonic

take the sim only plan if you need more data, for Starhub they double the the data if you taker '12 month contract' on the sim only with unlimited for weekend.

http://www.starhub.com/personal/mobile/mobile-phones-plans/postpaid-plans/sim-only-plans.html

Seems like SIM plan is focused on data, which is probably good for me, besides the low subscription price.

Since I started doing PH driving, I didn't realize it really sucks data.

It hit 4GB limit and I had to move the apps to the 5GB SIM plan. Hopefully it will not hit the limit soon in the near future.

Otherwise, I have to look at Starhub 6Gb plan.

I don't talk too much, and sms not as often.

Edited by Kb27

Neutral Newbie

After I got my mate 10 recently.. I felt that I was cheated many times since many years when I started using Samsung s4 and s5 and notes.. Samsung phone feels like some low quality and light films phone. Huawei feels like a real phone.. Happy man now

Hypersonic
(edited)

After I got my mate 10 recently.. I felt that I was cheated many times since many years when I started using Samsung s4 and s5 and notes.. Samsung phone feels like some low quality and light films phone. Huawei feels like a real phone.. Happy man now

my BIL bought a mate 10. 

Good value for money. But the LCD screen standard is really quite far from oled. 

It wasn't as obvious when in the shops, but at home, maybe without flourescent lighting, oled and regular lcd just a world of difference. Maybe his settings were more dim or something.

Edited by Lala81

Me on P10 (non-pro version). Happy with the camera, speed, build quality, voice quality, battery life. Not so happy with the screen colours that the Pro version should address. It is a tough phone that comes with casing and screen protector. No regrets choosing it over Samsung, LG and Sony. 

Before this, I had 3 top Sonys. All could not reach 2 years usage and broke down. The last straw for me was the screen broke when I sat down with phone in side pocket. The phone chassis was so weak, that it actually flexed under stress, causing the screen to crack. 

Twincharged

Me on P10 (non-pro version). Happy with the camera, speed, build quality, voice quality, battery life. Not so happy with the screen colours that the Pro version should address. It is a tough phone that comes with casing and screen protector. No regrets choosing it over Samsung, LG and Sony. 

Before this, I had 3 top Sonys. All could not reach 2 years usage and broke down. The last straw for me was the screen broke when I sat down with phone in side pocket. The phone chassis was so weak, that it actually flexed under stress, causing the screen to crack. 

hehe ... my xperia z and z3 still working after all these years .... but I am not using them (I am using mate 9 now) .... just as backup ... in fact, just replaced the battery for the z3 recently due to bloating. surprisingly, the older Z battery still never bloat !

but I might have to get something else coz both the Sony and Huawei cannot setup my Xiaomi ip cams, have to use my Samsung Note generation 1 then can ...

I enjoy my P10. Got it last year June. Think it should be able to last till at least next year June.

Then I’ll be considering to change another brand to try out.

My only main gripe is that it doesn’t play well with android auto.

• Praise 1

Supersonic

hehe ... my xperia z and z3 still working after all these years .... but I am not using them (I am using mate 9 now) .... just as backup ... in fact, just replaced the battery for the z3 recently due to bloating. surprisingly, the older Z battery still never bloat !

but I might have to get something else coz both the Sony and Huawei cannot setup my Xiaomi ip cams, have to use my Samsung Note generation 1 then can ...

I changed the battery of my Z5 Premium late last year, due to bloated battery too.

Now still running.

But I think I am getting a new phone soon. 

Hi folks.. Anyone using huawei phones.. Eg Huawei Nova 2..managed to successfully installed Android Auto?

I can't seem to download AA on Huawei Nova 2.. Zzz

Hi folks.. Anyone using huawei phones.. Eg Huawei Nova 2..managed to successfully installed Android Auto?

I can't seem to download AA on Huawei Nova 2.. Zzz

You have to download from apkmirror as android auto is not officially available in Singapore.

Choose the correct version to install. Trial and error as they have different versions for 64 bit and 32 bit.

If you’re listening to Spotify through android auto then it’s fine.

If you wanna listen to music through google’s play music app, you need to download another app and run it first before plugging in your phone. I’ll come back with the name of the app later on.

You have to download from apkmirror as android auto is not officially available in Singapore.

Choose the correct version to install. Trial and error as they have different versions for 64 bit and 32 bit.

If youâre listening to Spotify through android auto then itâs fine.

If you wanna listen to music through googleâs play music app, you need to download another app and run it first before plugging in your phone. Iâll come back with the name of the app later on.

The name of the app is "Equaliser FX"

Twincharged

just checked and found an update for my MATE 9 ... latest update includes facial recognition for unlocking  !!

going to go back and try it tonight !

↡ Advertisement